·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or solar? Or both? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Prolly won't happen. Atomic is cool, but probably un-needed in this day and age where every other clock you see is sync'd to NTP (IMHO). And solar is over-rated, since even the solar CTL1616 "storage cells" need to be replaced every ten years or so (and have to be placed purposefully in a window when you're not wearing them). And after all, is it really that much of a hassle to replace a battery once every 5-7 years?

Furthermore, the 350's LEDs, vibe, and other functions pose a higher current drain on the battery. Lithium batteries recover much better than the typical 1616 "storage cell," and have the the ability to "recoup," to a certain extent. Even Casio's 350 manual states, "Repeated use of the display illumination, tone/vibration alert, or other functions over a short period can result in a momentary drop in battery voltage. This can cause temporary display of the low battery indicator and limited availability of some watch functions." That would just about kill a 1616, which is only rated at 18 mAh, compared to the 350's CR2032, which is rated at 225 mAh.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Casio can make whatever they want. Doesn't mean I have to buy every release. I buy what I want. Not what they spit out every 3 months.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
There won't be atomic GD-350 for obvious reason, the screen is too big and there is no place left for solar panel.

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prolly won't happen. Atomic is cool, but probably un-needed in this day and age where every other clock you see is sync'd to NTP (IMHO). And solar is over-rated, since even the solar CTL1616 "storage cells" need to be replaced every ten years or so (and have to be placed purposefully in a window when you're not wearing them). And after all, is it really that much of a hassle to replace a battery once every 5-7 years?

Furthermore, the 350's LEDs, vibe, and other functions pose a higher current drain on the battery. Lithium batteries recover much better than the typical 1616 "storage cell," and have the the ability to "recoup," to a certain extent. Even Casio's 350 manual states, "Repeated use of the display illumination, tone/vibration alert, or other functions over a short period can result in a momentary drop in battery voltage. This can cause temporary display of the low battery indicator and limited availability of some watch functions." That would just about kill a 1616, which is only rated at 18 mAh, compared to the 350's CR2032, which is rated at 225 mAh.
I like the convenience of solar/atomic.

Even Casio's 350 manual states, "Repeated use of the display illumination, tone/vibration alert, or other functions over a short period can result in a momentary drop in battery voltage. This can cause temporary display of the low battery indicator and limited availability of some watch functions." That would just about kill a 1616, which is only rated at 18 mAh, compared to the 350's CR2032, which is rated at 225 mAh.
Good info, thanks.

And after all, is it really that much of a hassle to replace a battery once every 5-7 years?
You wouldn't think so. But the 'lazy factor' kills me. I have 4 watches I need to get batteries for. Actually needed them 4-5 years ago. I should go tho Radio Shack...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
*lol* That's hilarious...but in many cases oh so true. G-Shock, the Ipad of watches.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
When CASIO first came out with solar recharged watches, I was stoked. FINALLY a company was thinking smart and green. This was 1984. Typical CASIO watches would last 2-5 years, but the solar ones were guaranteed at least 7. And I went something like 9 years on the 1st battery before needing to replace it. Unfortunately, by the 2nd time the battery was discontinued. :-|

Fast forward a little more time and CASIO came back into the solar recharged watch arena with some interesting offerings. I jumped in again and felt like I would never buy a non-solar watch again. But that didn't last.

Why? Because CASIO's solar technology doesn't enable an inspiring battery lifetime. It's something like 10-15 years at the most, whereas Citizen's Eco-drive can go at least 25 years or more.

The other thing is accuracy. Today most G-Shock solar watches come with atomic sync. This is really useful if you need your watch to be under 1 second accurate with actual time every day. But if that's not extremely important to you, atomic sync is kind of a superfluous function. You may have noticed that most G-Shocks start the mode setting with seconds flashing. And no matter if you're 25 seconds ahead or behind, one quick press of a button and you're synchronized. Back in the old days, people had a morning (or evening) ritual of winding up their watches so that they'd be confident of time keeping throughout the day. That's super tedious compared to a couple of button presses. It's all relative.
;-)

But if it's more about the battery changes, I have to say that it's really quite easy to change them on the 4-screw back plate versions. All you have to do is try it once to get over the fear, and then you'll know it's so easy. Buy a few good quality batteries on the cheap from eBay and install them yourself. You'll feel good that you did and end up with all of your watches working fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts