WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member and first time poster,

I inherited my Fathers 1974 Heuer Camaro and took it to get fixed, I saw the valjoux mechanism and fell in love. Since then all of my waking time (and sometimes sleeping) is spent thinking about, reasearching and buying watches!!

Is this level of pre-occupation normal and if not does it have a name,

I would feel better if I new I had a recognised condition,

Cheers Al

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wis??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know!!

I used to watch films for the adventure/action, now I am clocking the watches and researching them afterwards!!

Normal??

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
You're in the right place Ray.
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Internet forums breed obsession in a particular topic. The best example I've ever seen is this perfume/cologne forum called Basenotes.com. I first went there to get some info on what is a good cologne to pick up.

Some people on there are just absolutely nuts. The own several hundred bottles, including companies like Creed in England who sell theirs for like $300 each. These people say they take three showers a day so they can wear three different fragrances. I even saw threads of people talking about how they spray their infant children with perfume so they will develop an interest in it too.

I'd like to do a sociology project on this kind of thing at university if I could go back. I really think that internet forums take a person's interest in something and then the ever-moving, almost living nature of the forum pushes it to absolute excess. You want to check every 5 minutes, you can spend hours reading through posts etc. etc.

If you go to any forum which has a specialized focus on a certain item or concept, there's a considerable demographic on there which is utterly devoted. It's always interesting to see the extremes - I mean I've seen someone's picture on here of their Rolex collection and it was litteraly like a pile of 60 of them!

It's just an obsession like anything else. It's best to keep a broad range of interests and not let any one thing dominate your thoughts too much, makes you kind of one-sided.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts