WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up this Hamilton Cameron. I believe it is from first year of issue 1937. Subdial hand appears to have been changed but otherwise all in pretty good shape....except....(couldn't notice this until I took the flex band off) one female and one male spring bar end. Any way to solve this? Turn the male into female or vice versa.? Anyone dealt with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
This watch should have male pins and female springbars all around. What probably happened is that one of the pins broke off on the bottom and the owner had a jeweler remove the one on the other side and drill them both out to take a regular male spring bar.

A good jeweler or goldsmith could restore the pins to match the top, but it would likely be expensive relative to the overall value of the watch.

Here's the story of the restoration of another Cameron:

Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration: 1937 Cameron

BTW, female springbars are rarely used today, so good quality new ones are not easy to find.

Hope this helps.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
If it was up to me, I wouldn't care and leave it as is. True, it's a wee bit peculiar as it is now, but then again, if it isn't a pain in where the back loses its name, and it isn't a technical issue, there's no need for doing anything 'bout that. My $0.02.

Reactions: Dan S

·
Registered
719 Posts
It could be fixed either way. The best way would be to have a goldsmith add male lugs to the side that has been converted to female. This would take a skilled smith especially if the lugs are hollow. But if you make the other side female, the spring bars will be much harder on the lugs.

It would probably be fine to leave as is honestly, but better safe than sorry when it comes to a 14k watch dropping off your wrist.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
It is perfectly functional as it is, so why mess with it. This is just part of this individual watch's personality that it has acquired over the years.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for suggestions. I will explore adding male lugs. I will also look to find the best fitting male and female spring bars to keep as is. If it feels secure I will most likely leave it as is. Thanks

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hello! I think that your second's hand is original...I've owned several Hamilton's rather like yours and they all sported blued steel second's hands...most folks seem to like the contrast with gold hour & minute hands...I do!

On another point: I recall that (all?) Hamilton's had solid gold numerals...I'm pretty sure that yours does...it was a point Hamilton made in their ads.

Nice watch...enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts