WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an Orient watch that needs to be resized. It is a cheap one, and the band is of a type that I have not seen before.

Here is a picture of it:

band1.jpg

I've done some searching, and found a few guides that seem like they should be relevant:

Shortening a Watch Bracelets or band
HOW TO resize the most common bracelets

It seems like I should just poke a tool into that little cutout and push. However, try as I might, I am simply unable to get those little pins to come out. From the side of the band, it almost looks like they are fused in there. This is the side that the pins should be coming out of:

band2.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions I could try to get this thing sized? It seems like I've already put too much pressure on it without much effect, so I'm wondering if I'm just pushing in the wrong spot or something. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My guess is it slide lose little bumps (top of pic in your first pic) down. That should release one link from the next. They look like they only move a couple millimeters.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
In the links you posted, the pmwf one has it as #3. They are bit of a pain [other adjectives removed] to move and you would think you are about to break something..... The last time I tried to adjust one I replaced the whole band lol.

My wife has an Orient watch that needs to be resized. It is a cheap one, and the band is of a type that I have not seen before.

Here is a picture of it:

View attachment 616306

I've done some searching, and found a few guides that seem like they should be relevant:

Shortening a Watch Bracelets or band
HOW TO resize the most common bracelets

It seems like I should just poke a tool into that little cutout and push. However, try as I might, I am simply unable to get those little pins to come out. From the side of the band, it almost looks like they are fused in there. This is the side that the pins should be coming out of:

View attachment 616307

Does anyone have any suggestions I could try to get this thing sized? It seems like I've already put too much pressure on it without much effect, so I'm wondering if I'm just pushing in the wrong spot or something. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
If you have trouble getting those folded-link pins to budge, I've used a tool in the past called a scratch awl. They look like a screwdriver with a pointed tip and you can get some good leverage and force behind them.

Husky Pro 3 In. Cushion Grip Scratch Awl (74561) from The Home Depot

Just be careful and mindful of where it will go if you slip. You can put pretty good gouges in furniture if you slip. You can also do some serious damage to yourself.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If you have trouble getting those folded-link pins to budge, I've used a tool in the past called a scratch awl. They look like a screwdriver with a pointed tip and you can get some good leverage and force behind them.
Just be careful and mindful of where it will go if you slip. You can put pretty good gouges in furniture if you slip. You can also do some serious damage to yourself.
Last time I sized one of those I used a very large nail and a tack hammer for persuasion. The nail was a little shorter than the scratch awl, but just as effective with little to no cost.
As Brandon said, "just be careful".
francobollo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had actually gone after it with a scratch awl last night to no avail, but I tried again today, and the scratch awl + tack hammer combo did the trick! Thank you so much for the help guys! Now hopefully I can make this thing small enough for the wife. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts