WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Chinese manual wind watches that have broken within 2 weeks from new (an Alpha PN and a Seagull 199s). In both cases, the click which keeps the mainspring from unwinding fails so the spring unwinds as soon as I release the crown. After the first failure (the 199s) I have been very careful to stop as soon as I feel resistance, but my PN just failed today.

Am I just unlucky or is there something I'm doing that can cause this type of failure, like winding too fast?

- Davis

P.S. Kevin Ma has been excellent about warranty service. He replaced my watch with a new one after he felt the repairs to my old one was taking too long.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I cannot see what you can be doing wrong if you stop winding at the point of resistance. You must just be unlucky. I have also had watches with temperamental clicks but they have ether been very old 40+years and worn or have had the click put back in the wrong position by some one. there is a tiny spring on most clicks it is probably this that has snapped. as long as you never force your winding or try to wind at an odd angle you should be ok. On a side note I don't like the feel when winding some of my Chinese autos as they suffer badly from wobbly crown syndrome so I am extra careful with them as it feels as if the crown and stem are very flimsy especially my Alpha planet ocean.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I have 2 Chinese manual wind watches that have broken within 2 weeks from new (an Alpha PN and a Seagull 199s). In both cases, the click which keeps the mainspring from unwinding fails so the spring unwinds as soon as I release the crown. After the first failure (the 199s) I have been very careful to stop as soon as I feel resistance, but my PN just failed today.

Am I just unlucky or is there something I'm doing that can cause this type of failure, like winding too fast?

- Davis

P.S. Kevin Ma has been excellent about warranty service. He replaced my watch with a new one after he felt the repairs to my old one was taking too long.
It's just bad luck; you can't do anything that will damage the click. I have had to replace the click spring in a couple of Miyota movements as well. The design of the spring is such that if the metal used has any weakneses, the spring will bend or break.
Unfortunately this isn't even something that can be blamed on poor QC.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think u wind too fast and too much or maybe yr judgement of resistance is quite different from others? U need to tone down the lvl of resistance from yr own standard.

I have 2 cheap chinese hand wind watch. No problem so far!

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I have a single Chinese movement. I never feel any resistance or hear any different noise when winding. I just give it 30 winds a day and figure that's good enough.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I think u wind too fast and too much or maybe yr judgement of resistance is quite different from others? U need to tone down the lvl of resistance from yr own standard.

I have 2 cheap chinese hand wind watch. No problem so far!
The speed and resistance of the crown during winding have nothing to do with the strength of the click spring.

Winding the crown past the point of resistance could break the stem or some of the keyless works but it can't damage the click.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same problem with my Invicta 5102 (Sea-Gull ST1902 movement). Sometimes when I wind the watch, the click gets stuck in the highest position. Its tooth barely touches the teeth of the winding wheel and the wheel goes back easily. I turn the stem slowly back and forth and the click engages again and works fine.

Does anyone who encountered this problem know the cause?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts