WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! There seems to be more discussion of quartz recently than in 2009.

Is quartz being appreciated more and becoming more widely accepted on WUS?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
The Quartz guys will say yes, the Auto guys will say no, and the manual wind crew will thumb their nose at both.

This should have been a poll...and should have involved Chuck Norris (powered movements)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yes and I'm up to my armpits in it.

Can't beat it for convenience. Grab and go, set and forget, etc.

I'd love for someone to explain the 'soul' of mechanical watches to me. I think it's like those 3D eye puzzles. And I just can't see the unicorn.

I love mechanicals, but because they are more interesting from an engineering perspective not because they make my wrist feel more alive.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kudos Walrus - you're the first person ever to get this!

·
Registered
9,350 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I would never have associated Dr Nick with so common a phrase as "Hi everybody", but I grew up in the 50's (if at all).

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Get back on track. We need to discuss whether or not mechanical watches are over-rated.
They cannot be over rated, they offer something different to Quartz watches, usually at a different price point.

I'll be honest, I really only seek 'Automatics' ...I have 2 quartz watches, for functionality (high impact / stupidity / or for their digital features)

Aside from that, they are simply not what I appreciate in a watch.

It's subjective, a Watch is rated on a number of merits, a movement is something else entirely

·
Registered
941 Posts
Subjective indeed.

My faith is waivering. I still think that 'serious' watches (I mean expensive and watches with impressive new developments) will remain in the domain of the mechanicals. But, I find myself wearing quartz most of the time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I agree with Ozy that mechanicals can't be overrated.

From what I could gather as a WIS:

Quartz are often associated with practicality, gadgets, and technology, while
Mechanicals are often associated with appreciation, tradition, and craftsmanship.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I don't need to time things accurately (nearest fraction of a second, for instance), neither do my activities need me to be as punctual as clockwork (quartz?). A deviation of one or two minutes per day is alright by me, and I'm not so busy as to not have time to set my watches regularly, wind them, change date, etc. I have a number of mechanicals and I keep running only the watch I have on my wrist.

I am a mechanical engineer and I admire the ingenuity and intricacy of the design of mechanical timepieces, and exposition of the elements used to transmit power (pretty efficiently, I think) to tell time. These micro-mechanical marvels also enjoy a rich history and a continuous heritage which I find fascinating - the way the different famous watchmakers made watches in the past seems an extension of their personalities and individual philosophies. When I think I have amassed enough information and processed it into useful knowledge I might venture more into the exciting arena of vintage timepieces. They may not be as accurate (or dependable) as quartz watches, I think it is in part my human nature that draws me to the characteristic quirks of individual watches (and their movements). Of course, almost all mechanical movements are mass-produced on assembly lines with a high degree of automation, but the individual quirks of movements still remain intact (with lesser amount of variability). I also admire the craftsmanship it takes to produce a watch/movement that is visually appealing. It is a combination of these reasons that draw me to mechanical watches.

I apologize for derailing the thread, some. I agree with Ray, quartz technology was a huge leap forward in terms of affordability (not for the early adapters), robustness and accuracy. I do like the technology, but the fact remains that I will always possess a lot more mechanical than quartz watches for the reasons outlined above. Probably something like the vinyl versus digital storage formats for music argument (oh no, he didn't! :-d).

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I grew up with nothing but mechanicals. When battery powered escape technology arrived I was an early adopter. I could never afford a hummer though.
I was given a quartz Omega in the early 1980s and at that time quartz technology was seen as the way of the future for timekeeping.
I've always been enthusiastic about quartz as it revolutionized the watch industry. There probably was not such an advance in timekeeping since the balance spring.
It's not the fault of quartz that it became cheaper over the years. Nor should the technical advantages of such a high frequency oscillator be minimized.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Maybe the question is all wrong from the start...

Maybe we should not try to talk about auto/mechanical versus quartz, but only discuss which watch of each family is best for the job.

If you don't like quartz watches, then you will never have anything relevant to say. :think:

I have all 3 types of watches, and they all serve a purpose for a specific application.

I have a Sinn UX inbound, and it is certainly the right watch for my most challenging missions. Some of us are more than desk divers.....

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I grew up with nothing but mechanicals. When battery powered escape technology arrived I was an early adopter. I could never afford a hummer though.
I was given a quartz Omega in the early 1980s and at that time quartz technology was seen as the way of the future for timekeeping.
I've always been enthusiastic about quartz as it revolutionized the watch industry. There probably was not such an advance in timekeeping since the balance spring.
It's not the fault of quartz that it became cheaper over the years. Nor should the technical advantages of such a high frequency oscillator be minimized.
Indeed the Quartz Era was the fall of many fine watchmakers. So its a bit of a sore spot for the Swiss Watchmaking Industry.

I like both. I have mechanical and Auto. Quartz and Radio Controlled Quartz.

I have a special affinity to mechanical (Auto or hw) timepieces. Early Lemania movts. etc....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You people freaking kill me. :-d

A quartz vs. mechanical thread? I'm surprised this hasn't been done before!

Oh, wait I seem to remember getting about 230 o|o|o| from Charles Bronson up there when last year I encouraged a debate about Eco-Drive quartz divers vs. mechanical divers. :-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
941 Posts
Maybe the question is all wrong from the start...

Maybe we should not try to talk about auto/mechanical versus quartz, but only discuss which watch of each family is best for the job.
Probably my fault for taking Toby's thread off topic. OP didn't really invite a debate on which is better. I think he just observed that perhaps quartz are getting more attention from WUS members these days.

I'm not sure if quartz are getting more attention round here or not.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Inanimate object have no soul ..............

The 'Soul' (if any) lies within their creators and designers. You're also right in that 'Mechanical' Watches have no more 'Soul' than Quartz Watches do.

Everything else is just self-serving !

Have a great weekend.

Kurt

1 - 20 of 63 Posts