WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was any official or agreed upon rating system for watch manufacturers, something akin to News Week's yearly grad school rating system. Is there any publisher in the industry that tries to rank manufacturers according to quality, reputation, market command or technical skill? Something that when it comes out once a year or something, everyone rushes to see?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Doesn`t ROBB REPORT have some kind of annual ranking of the Top 5/10 watch brands? Or at least maybe yet used to!
Don`t know how official it is or how they determine it, but I thought I remember reading one a few years ago. Patek Phillipe was #1, Breguet, Vacheron, AP, JLC were the rest of the top 5 I think...:-s

G

·
Doesn`t ROBB REPORT have some kind of annual ranking of the Top 5/10 watch brands? Or at least maybe yet used to!
Don`t know how official it is or how they determine it, but I thought I remember reading one a few years ago. Patek Phillipe was #1, Breguet, Vacheron, AP, JLC were the rest of the top 5 I think...:-s
Not official, because nobody authorized it, right ?!

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,943 Posts
I was wondering if there was any official or agreed upon rating system for watch manufacturers, something akin to News Week's yearly grad school rating system. Is there any publisher in the industry that tries to rank manufacturers according to quality, reputation, market command or technical skill? Something that when it comes out once a year or something, everyone rushes to see?
A rating system would be as difficult to define, measure and administer for a watch manufacturer as it would for any other industrial concern. A black box number that attempts to quantify and consolidate opinions about "quality", "reputation" , "market command", etc., would not provide much useful information. Because some of us are attracted to simplistic answers to complex questions consumers could begin to track a largely meaningless number with watch manufacturers tailoring their behaviour to influence the rating number. One can see this happen with over-simplified statistics such as the undergrad and grad school ratings for colleges and annual cost-of-maintenance data for automobiles.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
A rating system would be as difficult to define, measure and administer for a watch manufacturer as it would for any other industrial concern. A black box number that attempts to quantify and consolidate opinions about "quality", "reputation" , "market command", etc., would not provide much useful information. Because some of us are attracted to simplistic answers to complex questions consumers could begin to track a largely meaningless number with watch manufacturers tailoring their behaviour to influence the rating number. One can see this happen with over-simplified statistics such as the undergrad and grad school ratings for colleges and annual cost-of-maintenance data for automobiles.
In other words it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy then. Interesting thought, and probably pretty accurate.

Jeannie

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Hi -

As someone who does ratings for a living (financial sector), I can tell you why there isn't a rating system for watches: no one wants to pay for it.

It's really that simple. I could easily put together a rating system using around 100 parameters for materials and movements alone, and you could put a random sample on a time measuring device for accuracy assessment. But I'd have to be paid for it and, most importantly, someone has to buy random watches to test them.

You'd also have to have an independent company to do the work as well. Manufacturers hate independent rating companies (unless they give them really great ratings for free, then they love them!) because it becomes an objective assessment that carries great weight. Screw up once, and you become the Yugo of the watch world...:)

JohnF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts