WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

The consensus online is that the hesaite Speedmaster is the right Speedmaster and that the Sapphire is all wrong, milky ring etc... When I bought my speedy, I knew it is going to be my daily driver and wanted to get the sapphire for peace of mind. After seeing them in person I kinda liked the shiny characteristic of the sapphire and even forgot about the milky ring that I saw online before visiting my AD. I like the shiny effect and the sharp reflection of light with the sapphire that looks like a thick glass.

Since I see a lot of hate towards that version, are there any people out there who actually like that effect? I must say, if I look back at some of the photos of my Rolex explorer 114270 and sub 16610 I can see a milky ring as well. Not as thick, but definitely there. I actually prefer the thicker boxier effect of the speedy because it is some sort of trailing effect if you move it around which is very nice.

Any sandwich lovers?

Attachments

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Hesalite top Saphire bottom would be my perfect combo, as that movement looks fantastic.

Prefer the mellow look of the Hesalite for the dial though.

Reactions: Bobcat Sig and fezz

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Polywatch is your friend, 30 seconds of rubbing and voila, no scratches.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are a lot of people who think the sandwich will be the collectable one in the future. I am personally a big fan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Others have laid out the differences pretty well.

In my case I had a pre-sapphire sandwich, c.95, 863 model which I thought would be the perfect balance between vintage look from the front with its Hesalite lens and a very modern sapphire window over its golden movement at the back. The problem was the sapphire back was a sweat magnet in the summer that made the watch very uncomfortable. I eventually flipped it for an IWC Mk 12, which I eventually flipped for a P series Rolex GMT-II.

A few more years passed and my wife bought me an 1861 as an engagement present. It’s by far and away a more comfortable watch on the wrist than the 863 and the Hesalite it just great. The main difference I’ve found between the Rolex and the Speedy Pro is that the Rolex sapphire lens is a smudge magnet that I’m forever wiping, while the Omega just always looks great, and even more so after a minute or two of some Polywatch action.

Hesalite for the win...

Cheers,
Noel

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think anyone hates the sapphire so much as they either are bothered by the ring or prefer the look of the hesalite.
There's also the people who think the hesalite is more "authentic" or historically accurate. For a number of reasons, I think this is faulty logic, but I digress.

Sapphire is my preference. I think the milky ring is overblown by people who only look at online pictures of it straight-on.

Reactions: Perseus

·
Registered
155 Posts
There are a lot of people who think the sandwich will be the collectable one in the future. I am personally a big fan
Nope. The collectible one will be the Hesalite sandwich. Its the only true Moonwatch with Hesalite and a display case back.

No one cares about the Sapphire Moonwatch, it is simply a corruption of the original watch targeted towards wusses. Also who likes looking at a rolled up condom every time they look at their watch (Condom Crystal)? Display caseback? You think Buzz was looking at the back of his watch when he was on the moon?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Despite the authenticity argument, I cannot live with a plastic dome on my watch no way no how. I have had to live with it on vintage pieces and a Junghans, but that’s enough of a taste of it on less important pieces. I’ve had the Sapphire sandwich for a few years now and I love the fact that the visible1863 has polished beveled edges and just looks great compared to the 1861 buried away like a Rolex movement. The sandwich just rules.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had the hesalite version and would constantly polish the hesalite, so just got rid of it. I then almost picked up a sapphire sandwich, but ultimately chose something else. People always go on and on about the sapphire sandwich not being the authentic/purist version, but let's be honest, none of us are going to the moon. The modern speedy isn't the exact version that went to the moon anyway. So sapphire over hesalite for me.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
i personally love the look of the box sapphire on the FOIS. It's one of the main reasons I bought it, and I love how it looks like there is an ice cube floating above the dial. Sure its not an exact reproduction of the original, but times have moved on and sapphire brings with it so many advantages compared to plastic.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have the Sapphire and had the Hesalite, both are great!
My son has the Hesalite now. I have kept the Sapphire.

·
Registered
9,841 Posts
Honestly, I never, ever notice the 'milky' edge to the crystal when wearing it. Oh, and that movement is a joy to behold.

Reactions: Thadmach

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
I’m solidly in the Hesalite camp and that’s what I chose.

·
Registered
928 Posts
While I prefer and own the hesalite, I'm glad they offer both as I understand hesalite definitely isn't for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts