WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to preface this by saying I've posted this here in the public forum because I wanted a quicker answer and it'll reach more people who have dealt with this dealer. Also I'm only naming the well known dealer because his pics are watermarked. Also, I've bought and sold multiple high valued watches from DavidSW without issue or any concern. He's been nothing but excellent to work with, honestly.

I've been looking for a Panerai 372 with a sapphire crystal for a couple months. I frequently check DavidSWs and other dealers websites looking for a deal. I was just browsing now and found this. I thought, perfect this could be the one. Looks like the OEM strap that comes with it is gone, but not a deal breaker for me.

I almost didn't see it, but the watch has the wrong movement in it, I believe. I don't know the term for it, but the upper right quarter of the bridge (?) is split. I've seen this decoration of the movement in other Panerai models, but not the 372. In the 372 it's supposed to be one solid piece. Also, I thought it could have accidentally been a pic uploaded of another Panerai from behind, but the gator strap looks to match up in the front and back pics.

Panerai's website shows it as one piece. Could Panerai have accidentally put the wrong movement in their watch? Have they changed their movement, but not yet updated their website? Could this be a replica? Could he have been scammed and sold a replica? It would scare me if this wasn't caught by a dealer.

I have not reached out to DavidSW yet, I wanted to see what people thought first or if I'm mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tony A.H

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Why wouldn’t you just ask DavidSW? It’s not a fake, if that’s what your thinking. They don’t sell fakes

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think they are selling fakes. Like I said I've made multiple purchases with them, but could they have been duped into buying and selling a replica?

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
Again why not contact them instead of putting this thread out there that assumes they are doing something shady.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The Panerai forum has a pinned thread for authenticity of Panerai watches. There is an expert, Adam, who can tell you if the watch is ok. He will say yes or no, but no details (obviously, so that he doesn’t give away knowledge). I recommend posting high res pictures of the caseback there

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
City - he isnt assuming the dealer is doing anything shady - he has picked up what he thinks is an anomaly and is seeking WISdom here
he has asked twice if its possible the dealer has been duped by this - I think its a reasonable request

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If someone was doing something shady and was confronted it would be deleted right away most likely. If they were sold a replica and one of us paid $6000 for a replica that wouldn't be great either.

I don't think anything intentionally shady is going on, on their end. It could be a limited run of the watch that I've never seen before, but I've been looking at this watch for years.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
City - he isnt assuming the dealer is doing anything shady - he has picked up what he thinks is an anomaly and is seeking WISdom here
he has asked twice if its possible the dealer has been duped by this - I think its a reasonable request
The WHOLE point is why not ask the dealer or do some research. I mean 1 guy found a thread about it in a few minutes that basically answers the question. To me making a thread like this just looks bad on DavidSW when in reality this nothing wrong or even had a chance to explain

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Read RacingGreen's link. It's legit. Just a more modern version of the same movement.
Would it be likely then Panerai just has not updated their website? I took the screenshot of their website today.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Just ask DavidSW directly or in the thread that was earlier mentioned. Originally the 372 should not have the split bridge variant of the p3000. It also came with plexi, not sapphire. https://watchbase.com/panerai/luminor-1950/pam00372
The split bridges were originally found in the 721, 663, 662 to name a few.

I believe that in 2017 a pam372s was released which has a sapphire crystal instead of the traditional plexi. Afaik the 372s still had the original bridge design and not the split bridge. However i suspect we are simply looking at a particular (and more modetn) variant of the 372s that I haven't seen before.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,622 Posts
Would it be likely then Panerai just has not updated their website? I took the screenshot of their website today.

It could also be that they do not document every iteration. Talk to the selling dealer. Or Panerai.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts

Seriously... a simple email to DavidSW something like "I've been looking for a Panerai like that for a while... but the ones I've seen have a different movement. Do you know what movements were used in what iterations, and which this is?" would have likely answered all, without the worry, guessing, and consternation.

Reactions: City74 and Simon

·
Premium Member
64,991 Posts
First off, if you think it’s the wrong movement reach out to the dealer - it might be something as simple as the wrong picture getting assigned to that watch.

·
Registered
31,441 Posts
Modern 372s do have this newer movement with two piece gear train cover,I think this movt comes with sapphire 372 only/QUOTE]

I believe this is the correct answer.

It would seem to me to be too much trouble to modify this on purpose for a single watch.

If anything, I think it is more by accident/etc, than design.

And who knows, you might benefit from having something different?

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
No that movement isn’t modified or specially made,it’s just a regular newer batch P3000

Both of my watches have an older P3000 movt

IMG_0643.JPG

This is the engraved P3000 that’s placed only in a handful of panerais,I think this became the base for the newer standard P3000,notice the 2 piece geartrain cover

IMG_6452.JPG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts