WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The watch is the DB Alpha Marine. When I put on my backpack the crown gets hanged up on the strap as as I move my wrist it unscrews the crown. So is there something I can put on it or someway so it can't unscrew. (No glue.)

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,094 Posts
Try tightening the bracelet. If that doesn't work take off the watch when putting the backpack on. Or use hardening Loctite on the threads.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The watch is the DB Alpha Marine. When I put on my backpack the crown gets hanged up on the strap as as I move my wrist it unscrews the crown. So is there something I can put on it or someway so it can't unscrew. (No glue.)
Loctite, but only the red kind.

I'm totally joking.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So is there something I can put on it or someway so it can't unscrew. (No glue.)
You could try making some kind of custom crown guard for backpacking with Sugru silicone putty - not going to look smart but does that matter for backpacking?

You would want to cover the watch temporarily first in plastic wrap first as Sugru is adhesive to metal and in fact most things but it does not stick to plastic wrap - and then you would form a protector that maybe goes under the watch back as well as round the side to provide a removable rubber crown guard that basically snaps on over the back of the watch. Cheap and maybe ugly but should work with a bit of experimentation.

This is not quite the same idea but another approach you could take:

http://sugru.com/gallery/protect-your-watch-from-scratches

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
The answer is of course, no.
Only possible solution, buy a watch with crown guards.
See picture below....
001.JPG

Reactions: RBrylawski

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I've had crown 'guardless' watches before and never had them snag anything. I was under the impression that they were to protect the crown from damage but your post has shown me another possibility.

·
Premium Member
22,351 Posts
While the suggestions of thread locker and other adhesives were perhaps a bit tongue in cheek, but what were you really expecting from this thread?

It's not as if you could just install an aftermarket crown guard that is similar to a Panerai Luminor crown guard,

and presumably you wouldn't want to wrap cling film to your watch. Tightening up the bracelet or loosening up your backpack straps are the only other possibilities which come to mind.

·
Registered
87 Posts
...and presumably you wouldn't want to wrap cling film to your watch.
I don't think you quite got the concept there, you would only use it as a temporary barrier for a few hours while the sugru cures to stop it sticking to the metal ;-)

I have used this method for other things and it works fine. You can also use oil or soapy water as a release agent apparently but I have not tried that:

Can Sugru be moulded to the shape of an object, without actually sticking to that object?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Buy 1 of these

·
Premium Member
22,351 Posts
I don't think you quite got the concept there, you would only use it as a temporary barrier for a few hours while the sugru cures to stop it sticking to the metal ;-)

I have used this method for other things and it works fine. You can also use oil or soapy water as a release agent apparently but I have not tried that:

Can Sugru be moulded to the shape of an object, without actually sticking to that object?
Sorry, my post wasn't intended as a response to yours, but I can see how one could reasonably have interpreted it as such. I was just suggesting cling wrap on its own as a makeshift crownguard.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
That crown does not screw down.....
I know, its mine no need to screw down its water tight just the way it is &it doesnt get caught on anything

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts