WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

11141 - 11160 of 11424 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts

This is my Timex Atlantis from 1985. It was my dad's but I've had it for about 20 years now. Yesterday I discovered the mode button no longer works which is sad. I have never tinkered with watches before but i hope to mess around with this so as to get it working properly again.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
Timex, Shinola, Movado, Elgin.
387 Posts
I was reading this article today about a new website for Timex fans. It is still under construction, but the goal is to be a one stop source of information on all things Timex. They are building a catalogue of model numbers and will have photos, service manuals, old catalogues, advertisements and history. The first link is the article about the new website, and the second link is the website itself.

and the obligatory watch photo...

20210512_081225.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am late to the party but I'm all in on the 60s Marlin. It took me a while to take the plunge on a 34mm watch but I love this thing. I ordered the standard reissue last night (it's $115 on Amazon right now in case anyone else has been waiting for a good price drop) and I'm looking at vintage '65 or '66 Marlins.

One thing I noticed about the reissue vs vintage is that the hands on the original were not black. I can't say which color they are--matte silver?--but I wish Timex carried over this detail to the reissue as I feel it makes the watch more versatile when it comes to swapping bands/bracelets. I will be putting a dark brown leather band on the champagne reissue but I'm not sure I'll love the look alongside the black hands. Finding a vintage iteration in good condition might be the best option but why not own them all? :)

On my ~7.25" wrist...

·
Registered
Timex, Shinola, Movado, Elgin.
387 Posts
I got this '77 hand winder running, and added a NATO. It is keeping accurate time so far after a few hours running. I have a little more work to do on the crystal, but its a lot better than it was. Thanks Poly Watch!

20210512_153135.jpg

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I got this '77 hand winder running, and added a NATO. It is keeping accurate time so far after a few hours running. I have a little more work to do on the crystal, but its a lot better than it was. Thanks Poly Watch!

View attachment 15878383
hi larry. you should just wet sand the crystal first. i do mine in 3 stages: 1000, 2000 then 3000 grit. after that, nearly any polishing compound or polywatch will make it clear and flawless as new. it sounds scary, but it’s the easiest way to remove those deep scratches. with domed crystals there’s never a worry of damaging the case. hopes you give it a try!

11141 - 11160 of 11424 Posts