WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a teen who weighs 135 pounds and i am athletic. I am trying to find a good watch that is casual. The watches need to be $300 or less, a reputable brand, simple not with all these crazy alarm features, and i would like it to lume.

Amazon.com: Citizen Men's AO9003-08E Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Watch with Leather Band: Watches

I found this watch and like it but some reviews said, ""date is not "perpetual". Surely by 2015 we have software that knows days per each month - use it! Another hand pointing to "month" would be a nice feature." What does that mean.

Also i am fair skinned if that helps you to have a visual of what my skin is with the watch. I would like to have a watch have a brown leather strap. Thank You for the help.

• |>" title="Thumbs Up" border="">

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I found this watch and like it but some reviews said, ""date is not "perpetual". Surely by 2015 we have software that knows days per each month - use it! Another hand pointing to "month" would be a nice feature." What does that mean.
This means that the movement does not know the difference between the months, and will simply count up to 31 and the go back to 1. You'll have to manually set it each month if the month has less than 31 days. That reviewer apparently also wanted a month window/dial, because the month only shows day and date.

The watch seems fairly nice but I personally would avoid any gold colored or plated watches. Plating will wear down eventually, revealing the base metal and colored metal will eventually discolor.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Citizen is well respected as a major watch brand. The watch looks nice. I wouldn't be at all concerned about buying one if I wanted one in that style.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes, that's a nice watch. Buyer's tip: the lowest price I've ever seen for that watch is $118. You'll save a lot of cash if you're patient. :)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Eco-drive is a good choice ... most of us have one or more. Lots of nice choices $125.00 would be a better price.

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
It would serve you well. My ony advice would be to go with a stainless color case instead of gold. Personal preference.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Welcome!

As to the jab from the Amazon commenter, Citizen is more than happy to sell you a watch with a perpetual calendar (knows the days per month including leap years), but they cost more. Very few watches actually are perpetual calendars.

I'd have a preference for a day-date wheels

826670d1348163073-watch-noobie-help-choice-4-watches-wenger-70164-detail.jpg

Here's an example from one I used to own (borrowed pic) -- I think those are more readable, especially for the date.

Beyond that-- Citizen is great. There's nothing wrong with their stuff and it tends to be very solidly built. I own two-- and the older of the two is my oldest watch. It's gone more than ten years now and still going... The other is about a 2-3 year old model (purchased as a "new old stock" last year) and it's rock solid as well.

As others have said, if you like that one, just see if you can wait until you can swing a little better price.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Steel, not gold.

I personally would avoid any gold colored or plated watches. Plating will wear down eventually, revealing the base metal and colored metal will eventually discolor.
Listen to this guy. Gold-coated watches don't look nice for long. Besides, gold looks better on older and/or tanned people, in a smaller size.

AO9000-06B is the steel version. Swapping the strap for a brown leather would be cheap and easy.

Reactions: Ten-Ten

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Ovrsteer how good is the lume on that watch? And is that watch nicer to you? Thank You all!!!
That's a Commando XL (don't let "XL" throw you, it's a fairly small-to-medium 40mm watch) and they've been on sale for a few years now. The lume is honestly "average" but acceptable. For what it's worth, if you have a Costco membership, check out their Wenger selection... the prices tend to be fairly good on Wengers if they have one that you like. They also sell Citizen and Seiko, but those *may* be the less desirable models on close-out. Wenger has a special line just for Costco.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Besides, gold looks better on older and/or tanned people, in a smaller size.
Indeed. I'm pale as a bleached sheet, but I was recently horrified to realize I'm old enough to pull off wearing gold. :-(

Young people, enjoy your youth when you have it, and stick to stainless or - if you have $$$$$$ - platinum.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Ha! Beware with the "strap change" suggestion. Before you realize it you'll end with plenty of extra straps, two for each occasions. Don't forget to get a decent springbar tool ;)

talkapatled

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Premium Member
71,325 Posts
Citizen make a very good watch and that's a nice example. Beware of the gold tone however as it is not only prone to wear the colour can look a bit "off" on a young person.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Citizen is well respected as a major watch brand. The watch looks nice. I wouldn't be at all concerned about buying one if I wanted one in that style.
I'm with Sonic. Citizen makes a damn fine watch. I own 5 (4 Eco-Drives) & not a problem to report & they are outstanding time keepers. Go for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts