WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
My wife's Seiko quartz needs a new battery, and I was wondering if you can tell if this is a snap back or screw back? It has lugs like a screw back, but they almost look ornamental rather than functional.

I don't see a tiny space anwhere though on the back where I can stick in my case back lever. I don't have a screw back remover. Any tips on removing this?

Thanks! (BTW, it's kind of scratched up, I guess it's time for me to get her a new watch!).

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but it looks like a screwback to me. Without a case opening tool, you could try the duct-tape ball method. However, you'll still need a proper caseback tool to get it back on tight.

cheers
wemedge

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Hi all:
My wife's Seiko quartz needs a new battery, and I was wondering if you can tell if this is a snap back or screw back? It has lugs like a screw back, but they almost look ornamental rather than functional.

I don't see a tiny space anwhere though on the back where I can stick in my case back lever. I don't have a screw back remover. Any tips on removing this?

Thanks! (BTW, it's kind of scratched up, I guess it's time for me to get her a new watch!).

It's definitely a screw back. You'll probably need a proper screw back tool; the kind with bits that fit in the slots.
As the other poster suggested, you could try the 'ball' trick. If you don't have a nice stick ball, you can make a suitable one with duct tape :-!

Your wife probably loves this watch so just getting it running again will likely mean as much to her as a new one would...but you could hedge your bets and get here a new one as well ;-)

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I do have one of those sticky balls and I'll undo the band and give it a try on the caseback.

But maybe this will also be the excuse to buy a good screw back removal tool. After all, she won't be able to complain, since it's her watch, right? ;-)

She's a nurse and also rides horses alot, so she needs a sweep second hand, I've had it in the back of my mind to find her a nice automatic chrono, but it would have to be rugged, as you can see she's pretty hard on stuff.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts