WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This movement is marked "Springfield, Ill" and "America." Would this be the Illinois Watch Co?

Dial is unsigned. Case is a coin silver Dueber, but I as i understand this is irrelevant to the movement's manufacturer.

If it is an Illinois Watch Co. would the serial number (158960) correspond to a late 1870s manufacture date?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It is indeed an Illinois America grade, model 1, 18 size 7 jewel hunter and key wind. It was made between July and October 1880, and 15900 in total were made between 1878 and 1882 in 36 production runs. The original dial would be unsigned with sunk seconds and Roman numeral enamel. The gilt plates of your watch seem to be in good condition, I would say you have a nice original Illinois there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, detailed information. Thank you!

Is there a book or guide your referenced to get such detail?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Yes there is reference for Illinois watches. The best book is "Illinois Watch Co Encyclopedia" by William Meggers and Roy Ehrhardt, the other is the Illinois CD database by Dr Snyder which can be purchased from NAWCC Chapter 149. You can contact me for details.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
A beauty! I love these early American movements. I like all of them, but the early, big ones have always been my favorites :-!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts