WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This watch belongs to my friend who claims that it was given to him by his dad for graduation. Something tells me it is a fake because he has an Omega Planet Ocean that is a total fake (I've never confronted him though) and he showed me his dad's two tone Daytona that was so fake I could tell it was a fake a mile away.

There is nothing particular on this watch that tells me it is a fake... which is why I turn to the experts here to point out what might be off on this watch.

Thanks!

Sorry this is the only photo I have of it...

Here's a photo of his fake Planet Ocean... notice how far the sub chronos are from each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert and don't even have the watches to speak of. But if I had to venture a few guesses I'd say the letters in 'Superlative Chronometer' and 'Officially Certified' are not printed in a straight line. The fit and finish of the hour indices especially at 6, 7, 8 and 9 probably leave something to be desired.

Or it could well be genuine and I've fooled myself into thinking otherwise. Leading questions work in the same way. It's possible to extract a yes/ no answer out of somebody who actually believes in the opposite, just by asking a series of questions.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Yes, IT IS A FAKE-MASTER; Yachtmasters never came with a black dial as this one. Only PLATINUM dial !

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
639 Posts
Re: fake?

Looks fake to me. Still, it's a very pretty watch.

Does he also have a fake yacht?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
theres no black dial YM.

hmm, i don see how it matters.

why break the poor boy's heart by telling him his dad bought him a fake? just let him be.

if he chooses to boast ard, then some one else will get the better of him some time. if he just keeps quiet, then so be it, unless u feel its a matter of ego, then thats another question

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure you can find better looking fakes on Chinatown, NY. It looks so cheap I can't stand looking at. BTW It's hard to believe that a father would buy a son a fake watch to give him on his graduation day.
Good point. My parents gave me cold hard cash. Not much, but better than a fake watch! :-!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Maybe the guys parents are having a hard time? Maybe they really wanted to give him something nice but are in financial trouble and did not want to break the kids heart with no gift?

There are two sides to every waterfall.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yep- That's a FAKE-O-MATIC! Give it a few more months, the "R" and "X" will fall off and your friend will have a OLE! Other than the incorrect dial here's a few tip offs-

Look and the inferior bezel-
notice how the endpieces on the bracelet do not fit the case with precision-
printing on the dial is substandard-
indicies are cheaply fashioned-

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
theres no black dial YM.

hmm, i don see how it matters.

why break the poor boy's heart by telling him his dad bought him a fake? just let him be.

if he chooses to boast ard, then some one else will get the better of him some time. if he just keeps quiet, then so be it, unless u feel its a matter of ego, then thats another question

I think there is a big chance that my friend is just making stuff up and knows perfectly that his watches are fake. I've now verified that the Omega Seamaster and the Rolex Yachtmaster are fake... so I'm sure his Breitling is fake too. These are the 3 most expensive watches he has and has claimed that have all been gifts to him (the Omega and Breit were supposedly from an aunt). I hate that I feel like he's just being a "smart ass" about it and trying to deceive me... but I haven't told him anything cause I don't want to humiliate him or ruin our friendship. I just don't get why people have to get fake stuff and then pretend its real. Its sickening.

·
Registered
335 Posts
hmmm, an aunt that gives these kinds of gifts? sounds like he's blowing smoke and he knows it. on the other hand, some people are perfectly fine with wearing fakes...

being somewhat humorous but entirely genuine, i must say that we followers of fine watches have a moral obligation to call others out on this kind of thing... if i were wearing a fake, i would want someone to tell me... but maybe that's just me.

and besides, if he really is a friend, something like this should not jeopardize a friendship. if it does, maybe those ties ran too shallow. tell him, then buy him a beer. maybe he'll fess up to knowing all along. okay, enough dear abby...

ayres

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
i didnt get anything when i graduated college. . . . :roll:

i like what i got (which was nothing) more, rather than that ugly fake! :-d

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
thsiao, it seems like your Asian..dont ask me why I know but I just know. Your supposed "buddy" is probably Asian too. I think they picked it up whie in: Thailand, China, or Malaysia. Asians are notorious for rocking fakes (relax, before it ventures into a "racist" comment, I'm Asian as well).
Even if they got money up the butt, (which majority does, if you live in southern California). I think this is a case where your friend is just bs'ing to you. The moral of the story is friends don't lie to friends. keep a distance.

·
Registered
639 Posts
fake?

It reads to me like you are a young man.

When I was a young man if a friend had tried to BS me with a fake watch I would have kicked his ass.

That's what you should do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts