WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since I dont have any experience of reporting fakes in eBay, could someone check this out, is this fake ? 160170316722 ?

The number 300 seems strange font and allready 8 persons bidding. Just feel bad if people bidding over some idiots fake piece..

b.r
Anthony

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
Hi,

Since I dont have any experience of reporting fakes in eBay, could someone check this out, is this fake ? 160170316722 ?

The number 300 seems strange font and allready 8 persons bidding. Just feel bad if people bidding over some idiots fake piece..

b.r
Anthony
I'm no expert, but seller is newbie, has small, but pos. feedback and seems to specialize in watches, but made his last auction private (unless you are selling *****, no good reason to do this). He may not know he has a fake, but UK eBay is a free-for-all for this.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Hi,

b.r
Anthony
The case looks to be legit. The dial however does not, the font is wrong and the date window should have white trim around it on a legit dial.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
The dial is definitely fake, and the hands and bezel appear to be fake, too. The movement looks authentic, though.

eric

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Here is another example of a fake dial currently listed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=1&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

First - notice the stubbies. Second, the lack of the trim around the date window. Now the hands on this watch are wrong as well...

Now in this case the seller says in the listing that the dial was redone (?) and that the hands are replacements....

Hi,

b.r
Anthony

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I don't have the date version but as you can see, the font on the dial is the same on all the early 300's, the one you've highlighted is wrong, along with the date window, although the rest of the watch seems ok as Joe pointed out...

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
You have such a rare and beautiful piece Kieron....:p :p :p

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alot of variations in Vintage Seamaster 300. Check this out,

Is this original? Owner claims its 1965, with a glareproofed scratch resistant sapphire. Since when Vintage Seamasters have had sapphire??

Now, compare that to MSAINTs friends ultimate originality :

I see now 3 differences :
1.On Kierons dial, the 12 pointer is very large triangular area (which is nice if you ask me) Then again, both on those above ones there are no such big triangle. Why?
2.On those 2 pictures I posted above, the upper one (and also Kierons one) do NOT have the small cap on top of the bezel number 10. (its just like |O ). Whereas MSAINTs friends beauty has bold 10 with cap. Which looks better in my books. Again, no idea which is original, or are both originals, one just older?
3.Compare the hour hands of the twol photos, different hands. Again, MSAINTs friends one rock more. Is that style older?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Alot of variations in Vintage Seamaster 300. Check this out,

Is this original? Owner claims its 1965, with a glareproofed scratch resistant sapphire. Since when Vintage Seamasters have had sapphire??

Now, compare that to MSAINTs friends ultimate originality :
Like the early Speedmasters, there were a lot of changes and variations with the SM300. There were different dials, bezels, and hands. There were also two different crowns, as originally the SM300s used a unique self-sealing "niad" crown, which was later changed to the more common screw-down. Other than the sapphire crystal, the "Big Triangle" example appears to be authentic.

I see now 3 differences :
The first thing I'd point out is that the SM300 in MSAINT's photo is a Watchco SM300. Watchco takes newly manufactured Omega replacement parts, and assembles them into a new watch with a vintage movement. So, with this example, we can at least know what Omega's currently manufactured replacement parts look like.
1.On Kierons dial, the 12 pointer is very large triangular area (which is nice if you ask me) Then again, both on those above ones there are no such big triangle. Why?
The "Big Triangle" dials are authentic and less common than the later examples, which look like MSAINT's new dial.
2.On those 2 pictures I posted above, the upper one (and also Kierons one) do NOT have the small cap on top of the bezel number 10. (its just like |O ). Whereas MSAINTs friends beauty has bold 10 with cap. Which looks better in my books. Again, no idea which is original, or are both originals, one just older?
There were at least three, but possibly more bezel variations, just to the ref.16x.024.
3.Compare the hour hands of the twol photos, different hands. Again, MSAINTs friends one rock more. Is that style older?
The sword hour hand was another change, but both styles used.

Again, just like the early Speedmasters, which evolved quickly at the start, with different dials, and hands, and bezels, the SM300 went through some minor and major changes over time.

Considering these are some of the most faked vintage watches, these various differences makes it even more challenging to find an original, authentic example.

eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts