WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comrades,

I bought a Poljot on the bay and when I took the back off I was greeted by this strange circle of vinyl -- WTF!

I can't imagine this is how it came from the factory, or why it's there, it can't be for water proofing (at least not vinyl). My only guess is perhaps there was a rubber gasket there originally and someone along the way replaced it with this?

Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_20170329_175304.jpg

IMG_20170329_175311.jpg

IMG_20170329_175536.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry guys, I see there is already a thread for questions like this. But I can't seem to delete this thread to move it to the appropriate thread.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've seen other watches with different stickers like that on the dial from some seller on eBay before. Just can't remember who it was...

They look like they let their 8 year old daughter bedazzle the watches before selling them.

and no, I'm pretty sure that that Poljot did not come from the factory with a piece of duct tape under the case back

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Sorry guys, I see there is already a thread for questions like this. But I can't seem to delete this thread to move it to the appropriate thread.
The thread used by many to get opinions about the authenticity of their watches or potential purchases is useful because it attracts a lot of people with knowledge. That having been said, there's nothing to stop any member of f10 from starting their own thread about any appropriate subject, including authenticity questions. No apology needed, comrade. It's done all the time.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Wonder if it's the same guy with the red star stickers? Guess he finally ran out of those.
Don't be too down hearted steve_AU , a bit of looking around here and ebay and you will soon be able to spot these obvious " improvements" .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonder if it's the same guy with the red star stickers? Guess he finally ran out of those.
Don't be too down hearted steve_AU , a bit of looking around here and ebay and you will soon be able to spot these obvious " improvements" .

Thanks for the kind words guys, I don't mind that it isn't stock from the factory. I don't like the dial, or even the dial colour.

I bought it because it was broken and I have been teaching my self watch repair. Also because it was ridiculously cheap, so I threw a sneaky bid on, not really expecting to get it. I have successfully disassembled and re-assembled a Molnija 3602. Now I want to try a smaller movement, so thats how I happened across this one. If I can get it going I intend on making a new dial from scratch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Is this for real? [ Poljot 17 jewels ] [UPDATE]

Progress Report and QuestionI'm have disassembled the movement ready for a clean and lube. I've discovered that the hands don't seem to be original.. they look like they have been bodged to fit from another movement. Some where in it's life some heavy fisted ape tried to replace the crown and cross threaded it, so I've ordered a new stem and crown. The date wheel has some paint coming off so I have also ordered a new one of those... I'll have to order new hands because the ones it came with are very bad. the parts list is stacking up. Everyone loves pics so here are some disassembly pics ...So on to my question The dial seems to be just bare brass with white paint. The brass has obviously tarnished over the years, so what should I do A. leave it be B. Ploish it with brasso and re-apply the markings (toner transfer method (so it would have to be black))C. laser print a new dial and apply it on the brass (clean white with black markings)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Love it! Poor man's antimagnetic shield!

I applaud your efforts to restore the watch. I want to learn watch repair; as I am getting bored just modifying watches. If it were me, I would just clean off as much of the gunk and leave the patina that is already there. Looks like you are on your way to making that a nice wearable watch! Good luck on this restoration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts