WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new GWG 1000 1A and it has this number stamping on the back. Looks like it’s laser etched. Is this legit? I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I recently got a new GWG 1000 1A and it has this number stamping on the back. Looks like it’s laser etched. Is this legit? I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Thanks in advance.

That's weird it liijs like something else got overwritten...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Right. That’s what’s got me wondering. Got it through Amazon, if it’s not legit, back it goes.

Could it be some type of refurbishment annotation code? I have never seen this before how much was it bought for and did it provide any indication it was used/mint/like new/open box?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be some type of refurbishment annotation code? I have never seen this before how much was it bought for and did it provide any indication it was used/mint/like new/open box?

No, advertised as new, looks mint, hang tags on it, all sensors work. It’s bizarre.

What’s troubling me is this stamp is over another number.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Looks like the "S" on sample G's and had been over printed. Personally I'd return it immediately.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
If it was my watch and everything is good and new...I would keep this one Dave...

From a google search on watchuseek:

S means Sample. Sample watches can be one of two things:
Either it is an early production model intended for exhibitions or demonstration purposes. These are not intended for sale.
The other thing it can mean is that it is an overstock model. If casio have some left overs in their ware house of a recently discontinued Japanese domestic model, they will sometimes stamp them with an S and throw them in as freebies to retailers over the world but mostly in South east Asia, so if a retailer have ordered a box full with watches, they can sometime find a unexpected surprise that they did not order in there. They can then sell it even tough that model was not intended for that market.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was my watch and everything is good and new...I would keep this one Dave...

From a google search on watchuseek:

S means Sample. Sample watches can be one of two things:
Either it is an early production model intended for exhibitions or demonstration purposes. These are not intended for sale.
The other thing it can mean is that it is an overstock model. If casio have some left overs in their ware house of a recently discontinued Japanese domestic model, they will sometimes stamp them with an S and throw them in as freebies to retailers over the world but mostly in South east Asia, so if a retailer have ordered a box full with watches, they can sometime find a unexpected surprise that they did not order in there. They can then sell it even tough that model was not intended for that market.

I did order the Japanese model GWG 1000 1AJF from Amazon. The hang tag on the watch says GWG 1000 1ADR.

The black Casio box the hexagon tin came in has these stickers on it.

Obviously some kind of reboxing or something.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I did order the Japanese model GWG 1000 1AJF from Amazon. The hang tag on the watch says GWG 1000 1ADR.

The black Casio box the hexagon tin came in has these stickers on it.

Obviously some kind of reboxing or something.

In my experience, JF (JDM) models usually come in a box, not a tin. Since the hang tag says DR and it came in a tin, it's probably not a JDM model.

Did this come from an Amazon third-party seller in Japan? Was it fulfilled by a third-party seller or by Amazon directly?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have no answer for you.

However, some time ago - for purely sentimental reasons - I wanted to "upgrade" the case back of my "Cased in Thailand" Mudmaster with a "Made in Japan" case back.

But then my whole intent got me thinking, what number would then go on the case back. PacParts has the case back for sale, but could not answer my question regarding the numbers.

I asked Casio USA, if I could pay them to do the case back swap and if there was a procedure for the numbers transfer, but my request was respectfully declined and I don't blame them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my experience, JF (JDM) models usually come in a box, not a tin. Since the hang tag says DR and it came in a tin, it's probably not a JDM model.

Did this come from an Amazon third-party seller in Japan? Was it fulfilled by a third-party seller or by Amazon directly?
It came in the black cardboard box and a black hexagon tin inside the cardboard box, manual on top.

It was a third party seller, fulfilled by Amazon.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
On the Mudmasters that I have seen, the only engraved production number was centered right under the "LIGHT" font, vs. on yours both numbers seem off center.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the Mudmasters that I have seen, the only engraved production number was centered right under the "LIGHT" font, vs. on yours both numbers seem off center.
I saw the same thing. I’ve been looking at case back photos. You’re right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Mudmaster has two numbers as in the photo in the OP. (The number on the right is not overwritten, though.)

My watch came from an eBay seller shipping from the Persian Gulf area.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Personally, I'd have so kept that! In a generations time, on the Antiques Roadshow, most of our GWG1000s will be mass produced and worth peanuts, yours would have been worth a fortune being so unique!

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
i dont see the problem. mint condition, everything works and everything looks good bar a couple mm stamp that youll never see? so you send it back cos you dont know what it means? thats next level paranoia right there lol to make it worse, the next paranoia person that purchases it will be like "box had clearly been open! bag was crushed like it had been used and the hang tag was on the band not the buckle. ITS A FAKE!!!" haha

if it was a sample there would be a big S hand stamped somewhere around the middle of the backplate, not a tiny serial number on the edge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts