WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,580 Posts
If you are serious about starting a brand/company, it is time to hire an attorney for questions like this.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Regarding the law in Germany there is a Patent on Design called "Geschmacksmuster" - I rather would be sure that the designs are in detail protected by this claims and so import in the involved coutries could be a big problem .
There is a big trade fair in Germany about rather everyting of daily use - and the police and the lawyers anually take out several hundred samples of things protected by this law - Worth some Millions of Euro

·
Registered
527 Posts
I am guessing at first you would actually source cases from an established case maker like Ickler or SUG. Depending on cost you may be able to have them make something to your specific needs or use the case styles they already have, which already fit certain movements etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding the law in Germany there is a Patent on Design called "Geschmacksmuster" - I rather would be sure that the designs are in detail protected by this claims and so import in the involved coutries could be a big problem .
There is a big trade fair in Germany about rather everyting of daily use - and the police and the lawyers anually take out several hundred samples of things protected by this law - Worth some Millions of Euro
Watch makers surprisingly don’t have copyright protection on the design of their watches. I am not going to get into a long intellectual property discussion, but the issue is that while designs are something you can protect, things that are “functional” need to be protected under patent law, not copyright. Patents filed long ago have since expired, or there is so much copying going on between brands, that nothing is “original” any longer. What brands can protect however is their name and logo. Those fall under trademark protection and cannot be copied legally. So what fakes are actually doing is illegally copying a name and logo, as well as other trademarked elements that are designed to tell people who made the watch.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Maybe that it might be difficult to separate a watch with bezel ring from another watch with the same features just by IP claims about the appearance - but I think that a deviation from the structural or functional aspect would probably be worth an IP claim.

( e.g. the structural Setup of the Hublot watches ). I'm with you that on classic watches as RLX or the Omega those rights even if done would have exceeded this days!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts