WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!,
Looks legit to me - OV Olma logo - take a look and also on Olma www logo section.

aRm
Cool thanks. I wasn't sure if the spacing was quite right between the V and O. The space looked bigger then other Olma logos I had seen.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
@ OP: rest assured - nobody in his right state of mind will ever fake an Olma ;-)

Best
Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
@ OP: rest assured - nobody in his right state of mind will ever fake an Olma ;-)

Best
Tomcat

OP, did not mention "fake", only if dial had been re-worked ("redial?"), and that could be done by an owner of an Olma too. A re-worked dial does not make a watch a fake.

In this case, I think dial is original.

Sincerely
adam

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
OP, did not mention "fake", only if dial had been re-worked ("redial?"), and that could be done by an owner of an Olma too. A re-worked dial does not make a watch a fake.
You're right. I correct my statement as follows:

"Nobody in his right state of mind will ever fake or redial an Olma."

Best,
Tomcat

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
I have seen Olma watches sell for silly money so you never know but it's the oldeer models that fetch these higher prices.
well they are probably 'OlmaDeer' models.

@Tomcat
Never say "will never", in Horology everything/anything can happen.

That said in OPs case watch appears original dial and not faked!
Sincerely
adam

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I wrote "nobody in his right state of mind will ever ...". Why should he when it's as expensive to 'redial' an Olma (market value < 50 €) as an Omega (market value > 50 €). Note: 'right state of mind' ;-)

Best
Tomcat

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
I wrote "nobody in his right state of mind will ever ...". Why should he when it's as expensive to 'redial' an Olma (market value < 50 €) as an Omega (market value > 50 €). Note: 'right state of mind' ;-)

Best
Tomcat

I read well what you wrote.
Now take this scenario.

watch was owned by your (ones) Father who died.
You wish to wear your Dads watch, but dial is totally distressed.

You buy another watch or re-dial?

You (I) decide to 're-dial'. Means I am 'insane'? No, I think not.

It happens. Doing '"insane" things to 'you' may seem 'normal' to people you term "not in a right state of mind".

Fact is people do things that appear 'strange' to us, but normal to them. It does not make them "insane" or 'stupid'. It makes them 'human'. No more, no less.

Answer to this thread is. Dial appears 100% original, and no reason to claim it as a fake. No more, no less.

Adam

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Indeed I redialled my father's watch. But it is not up for sale. The Olma is - and the op asked before he bought a watch because he was afraid to fall for a 'sales treatment'.

Anyway, I end this discussion now - I think everyone here understood what I meant - maybe with one exception.

Regards,
Tomcat

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Indeed I redialled my father's watch. But it is not up for sale. The Olma is - and the op asked before he bought a watch because he was afraid to fall for a 'sales treatment'.

Anyway, I end this discussion now - I think everyone here understood what I meant - maybe with one exception.

Regards,
Tomcat

Excellent as its a mighty big jump from here:

Best
Tomcat

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
And your point is ...?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I'm going to fix up some watches (and yes one is a Olma) that I will end up paying more for then I will get selling them because I feel very strongly about them so yes there are some mad people out there... :)

P8224514.jpg
Sure not everyone see what I see but that's what's so great with these old watches

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
And your point is ...?
My point is, that perfectly normal people may re-dial any watch regardless to its intrinsic value.
and doing so does not make them mentally retarded or the watch a fake.

Just a simple observation.

Adam

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
My point is, that perfectly normal people may re-dial any watch regardless to its intrinsic value.
and doing so does not make them mentally retarded or the watch a fake.

Just a simple observation.

Adam
"I plead Insanity, your Honor. I'm just crazy about that stuff!"

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
That is a classic "how to hammer home" a point! :-D

Reactions: Tomcat1960

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That is a classic "how to hammer home" a point! :-D
It is, indeed.

;-)

Pleading "guilty on all counts",

best,
Tomcat

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
... and, generally speaking, redialling per se doesn't have to be a bad thing. Adam was right when he stated that a decent redialing job for most of us may be preferrable to a genuine, but barely readable dial. (I, for my part, have kept the original dial of my dad's old watch and may even send it in for professional restoration. And yes, I know this will exceed the watches value - but then, it's a heirloom and will never be sold anyway.) It's just if you have to make a living of shining old watches to sell them at a profit you won't do a professional redialing only in cases where there is a chance to recover its costs (which is what even Shum admits, highly unlikely.)

The real bad thing is that many redials incorporate a re-branding, too, thus turning a (say) 'Gérard et Fils' Chronograph into a 'Girard Perregeaux' or an 'Olma' into an 'Omega' (what else? b-)). And then there are those Mumbai Watch Tinkering Co. Ltd., Inc. products showing gaudy faces (often with surprisingly good prints over them) for which apparently many people in SEA fall. (If all those well-made redials just used the right colors, they might even be of interest for the serious collector. But that's just my two cents.) Unfortunately, the quality of the service done to the movements is often horrible, which is what Western collectors realise after the first watch they buy from there. That's where the Indian watchmakers' bad reputation comes from. The business model, however, has been spread to South America which is currently picking up on India's bad repute. Just think 'Baume & Mercier' ;-)

All said, one shouldn't reply to any provocative post, maybe. At least not at the dead of night ... ;-)

Best,
Tomcat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts