WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/1945-YEAR-FRIEN...ryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It's cool (I like the chinese numerals) but if it really is "5cm" in diameter, that seems way big for a vintage watch. And the "nude artwork" watches from the same seller were also proven to be much newer than claimed. I guess I'm not too concerned with it really being old, but I'd like to know that it's really a Shanghai Watch Factory-built timepiece, case, movement, and all. Even if it's a reproduction or something. I'm tempted to get it just because it's cool, but if this seller is known for selling junkers, then I'll wait until some other cool Chinese watch comes up.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Hi,

Vintage Chinese watches generally has a size of about 35-38mm. If what the seller said is correct, it could be possible to have a meihualu pocket watch movement inside. Those big size wrist watches with a pocket watch movement inside are quite uncommon.

This is not a 1945 watch, but most likely a 1980's one according to its case style.:)

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/1945-YEAR-FRIEN...ryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It's cool (I like the chinese numerals) but if it really is "5cm" in diameter, that seems way big for a vintage watch. And the "nude artwork" watches from the same seller were also proven to be much newer than claimed. I guess I'm not too concerned with it really being old, but I'd like to know that it's really a Shanghai Watch Factory-built timepiece, case, movement, and all. Even if it's a reproduction or something. I'm tempted to get it just because it's cool, but if this seller is known for selling junkers, then I'll wait until some other cool Chinese watch comes up.
Given that nearly every watch he sells is falsely advertised as to it's vintage; I would be very wary about any of his claims.
Most of his watches look to me like they are freshly rolled off the assembly line...yesterday :think:

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm... too many unknowns, and well-documented shadiness on the seller's part. Even if it is cool, I don't think I want to give that guy any money. I'll hold out for something cooler.

Like a Shanghai Military with a damaged bezel and a Vostok bezel with a damaged watch :D

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
The problem is for most all of 1945 the Japanese still occupied the city.

Not very likely, things would be put back in order to produce luxury items in 3-1/2 months (Japanese troops in China did not surrender until early September, and it took a week or two to get sufficient allied and Chinese troops in place to complete the hand-over of administrative control of occupied areas, of which Shanghai was one.)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha oh yeah there was a war and all that in 1945 I totally forgot :D Good thing I'm an art major, not history. So I guess we can totally call shenanigans on this one. I'll definitely hold out for something else, then. If for no other reason than to not give this guy money for his falsely-advertised wares.

The problem is for most all of 1945 the Japanese still occupied the city.

Not very likely, things would be put back in order to produce luxury items in 3-1/2 months (Japanese troops in China did not surrender until early September, and it took a week or two to get sufficient allied and Chinese troops in place to complete the hand-over of administrative control of occupied areas, of which Shanghai was one.)

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
More to the point the Shanghai watch company simply didn't exist until 1955 which may have impacted upon their ability to construct the watch in '45

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
More to the point the Shanghai watch company simply didn't exist until 1955 which may have impacted upon their ability to construct the watch in '45
What he said! ;-)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
And besides it is taller than it is wide (6cm high, 5cm wide)! lol

But then what do i know. I have no Chinese watches until the Chinese government gets the 1963 Sea Gull Chronos to Markus!!

paul:think:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts