WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found that the Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80, a COSC certified Swiss chronometer, is well under 600 GBP (830 USD at time of writing) at several ADs (example below). Is this the cheapest COSC certified automatic watch it's possible to buy at the moment? Are there any others that regularly drop to this kind of price (which is slightly less than I just paid for a new Seiko Alpinist)? I like that you can buy such an accurate, Swiss-made piece for such a low price, but am not a fan of the dial design on this watch (where's the 3 and 9, or at least the 9?!). Interested to hear if anyone knows of reliably cheap alternatives.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so this one is not a COSC chronometer but another bargain basement-priced Tissot (and actually a nicer looking one, imo, though still a bit bland maybe). A Swiss-made auto for 277.50 GBP (383.88 USD) seems like pretty good value for money. Steel bracelet, sapphire crystal, big brand name, too... Actually quite tempting as a first Swiss watch :unsure:

Reactions: sorinp1

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
The powermatic can obviously be set very accurately in the factory.

It's actually completely machine regulated - that was the point. The Swatch group wanted to make an affordable movement that could be set within COSC standards. They wanted it to have what is traditionally quite expensive specifications, such as the 80 hour power reserve. But all done very cheaply for minimal - no - human labour, hence cost. For their affordable Swiss models.

Some people really like it. But my own experience of it was it was very unstable. It'd be -25spd for a month, then +10spd for two weeks, then -2, etc. It drove me nuts.
It wasn't magnetised, and I can accept I was unlucky a got a poor one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the top one looks better.
Yeah, I think the dial texture is nicer, and the hands are nicer, on the first one. And though the second one comes with a bracelet, it doesn't look like a very nice bracelet to me. If the first one had a numeral hour marker at 9, I think it would be awesome. But just the 12 and the 6 looks a little odd to me.

And I know I started the thread about COSC certified chronometers, so promise this is the last non-COSC post I'll do, but just came across a version of the second one with a day complication for 315 GBP (435 USD)... Maybe there are just more new Swiss bargains out there than I realised. Or maybe Tissot is just very cheap.

Reactions: sorinp1

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The powermatic can obviously be set very accurately in the factory.

It's actually completely machine regulated - that was the point. The Swatch group wanted to make an affordable movement that could be set within COSC standards. They wanted it to have what is traditionally quite expensive specifications, such as the 80 hour power reserve. But all done very cheaply for minimal - no - human labour, hence cost. For their affordable Swiss models.

Some people really like it. But my own experience of it was it was very unstable. It'd be -25spd for a month, then +10spd for two weeks, then -2, etc. It drove me nuts.
It wasn't magnetised, and I can accept I was unlucky a got a poor one.
Thanks, I had no idea - really interesting!

Reactions: catsteeth

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I think in general Tissot offer pretty good value for money.

·
Premium Member
76,453 Posts
The top one looks best. If you decide to go for that one and you buy from a firm named after a small island off Scotland PM me for a discount code you can try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the value-for-money for the Ballade is off the charts. Cheapest chronometer I've seen plus a silicon balance spring, so increased magnetic resistance. Not in love with the look though, personally.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
The Tissot Ballade is indeed one of the most affordable COSC certified automated watches. I kinda like the look, probably because I own another watch with numerals at 6 and 12:

I would like it even more without a date window!
Late last year I was looking around for a COSC certified watch and pretty much what I found were Tissot and Mido, under $1000.00. Used to be also some models from Formex and Christopher Ward, if my memory is not mistaken!
In the end I didn't bought anything as I realized that the way I rotate daily from more than 40 watches, mechanical and quartz, don't have a winder because I like to wind them myself in the morning, the accuracy is not that important to me...
If you are prepared to deal with Jomashop (which proposition might be hit or miss - you will find that WUS members experienced both) you can find several automated Mido COSC models right now around $500.00.
I was about to say that I remember finding Certina COSC models in the same price range, but upon a double-check, turns out that those COSC models are quartz.

·
Premium Member
Ball x2, B&M, CW, Edox, Eterna, Glycine, Hamilton, Marathon, MG x2, Mido, ML, Tag, Tissot, Yema
421 Posts
Yeah, I think the dial texture is nicer, and the hands are nicer, on the first one. And though the second one comes with a bracelet, it doesn't look like a very nice bracelet to me. If the first one had a numeral hour marker at 9, I think it would be awesome. But just the 12 and the 6 looks a little odd to me.

And I know I started the thread about COSC certified chronometers, so promise this is the last non-COSC post I'll do, but just came across a version of the second one with a day complication for 315 GBP (435 USD)... Maybe there are just more new Swiss bargains out there than I realised. Or maybe Tissot is just very cheap.
View attachment 15831578
I own the white dial version of this. I very much recommend it. The crown is a bit fiddly, but I can forgive it.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Tissot is a great entry point into the Swiss watchmaking hobby for those on a budget. They have a lot of different styles and pricepoints that start pretty low for Swiss quality.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts