WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I just created a "Is this okay for my wrist size" type of topic, mainly because this is the reason, this watch is only 39mm!! But anyhow...

Well I'm looking at this one in particular

1263089-would-tissot-good-dress-watch-tissot_couturier_smallsecond_640_360_s_c1_center_center.jpg

After looking at Glashutte Original with similar design, I immediately fell in love. This is the closest I could get to that, yet at an affordable price.

But right now I am looking to buy a dressy watch, what do you think?

I do know that there are pure black dial and white dial for it, but it just didn't really give me the "WOW" impression...

Opinion please.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
You betcha it is. And a nice one at that.
And a tad smaller is good for a dress watch - you don't need a hubcap spoiling your cuffs.
If possible try both on w/ a suit - see which one looks best peeking out of your jacket. I'm kinda a white dial guy but black has it's fans.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the replies! Definitely makes me feel more comfortable buying this watch(If I actually do buy it)...

how does the white one fair?

602x442_1369662072.jpg

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
BTW, certainly in the classic sense, 39mm is large for a dress watch, though the era of hubcaps has certainly altered that in some peoples minds. I looked at your other thread and IMHO 36mm would be better on your wrist for a true dress watch. But, I also must admit the selection in that size has dwindled especially in the more affordable end. I expect we will see more of this trend in the Haute Horology brands as those that have been weaned on the larger is better aesthetic come of the age that they can afford them. I suppose my point is that it is certainly a dress watch but may be a little big on your wrist as a dress watch, but that is more of a personal opinion but there is a convention if you care to follow it, but then if you want to follow the convention you would be looking at a two hander sans date.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comment! Keep them coming! To be honest, I opened this thread is because I'm afraid that the colour will be too bright(?) as a dress watch! Definitely will go take a look at AD later on

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
39mm is a perfectly reasonable size for a dress watch, and I would actually hesitate to get a watch that is much bigger.

Reactions: BusyTimmy

·
Registered
28 Posts
The black/rose gold will do only with a darker appereance(total black or sth like that),the white dial/brown strap i think you can wear with pretty much anything from a casual suit to sth more formal.My 2 cents

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh well, just went down to Tissot boutique and apparently it's not being in Singapore yet =/... I'm disappointed, and then I walk pass a Glashutte Original boutique. You all will never know how disappointed I am >.>

·
Registered
171 Posts
Another who hasn't seen that watch before. Very nice and like many others here I'd also favour the Rose Gold/Black variant. There's little to fault the watch visually (I'm in the market for another dress-watch to compliment my Bambino ) and this could well be a new contender. I only wish Tissot would opt for the cursive script for 'Tissot' as seen on the Visodate.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I prefer the white face, which I think is a nice looking watch.

I am sure that you would not be picked up at all for wearing this with a suit or to a formal event, but as you asked I do not think the gold version is a pure dress watch. With that colouring and the complicated dial design I think it is a bit too attention grabbing. A dess watch should be really subtle and slip under the radar. I think the white faced version would do this better.

I guess I am being picky, but you did ask the specific question. In the real world though, no one would think twice. After all, I use these two as my dress watches. Neither matches the real definition of a dress watch, but both complete the task well in the real world where no one notices while keeping me happy that I am not wearing a sports watch on a bracelet for a formal event.

Didn't help much, did I?

·
Premium Member
61,485 Posts
In reply to your first question I think that this makes an excellent dress watch.
Some watches look best with white dials and others with black ones. In this case I think the the black dialed one looks far better.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That is definitely a dress watch in my eyes. And a very attractive one at that; I have not seen this one before. Tissot is really doing some interesting things these days...

·
Banned
510 Posts
That's a classy looking watch. Not a traditional dress watch look, but I'd proudly wear it. Go for it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts