WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2412-1.jpg

Hi guys,
I came across this beautiful red sub and kinda get interested in this whole vintage business. The seller is asking for USD 11,682 for it and I'm wondering if its too expensive? I cant quite tell if its an open six or closed six. It looks more like semi closed six to me. Any Jedi care to share their knowledge in this matter?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,063 Posts
Really not possible to do an evaluation over the internet. You should look up comps and most important establish the sellers reputation. The price makes me think the watch is sold somewhere other than USD currency would indicate.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,582 Posts
Appears to be a red sub, but I'm not the expert on authenticity. Lume looks too light (most are more of a yellowish and aged). According to the Watch Time Submariner history guide a real one sold in 2006 for $16K. This looks like it may have been at least redialed which would kill its value. Should post on Rolex forum...more authorities there.

Reactions: 9573

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
is it worth it is mostly depending on you,

but I can tell you that you could get them for less (for a red Submariner)

as for authenticity, I'm sure it's mostly authentic/original

from experience and first hand knowledge, a lot of the watches (especially Rolex) coming from Korea, HK, Singapore are mostly original - meaning that they have aftermarket parts, either in the movement or add-ons (not surprising given that they are vintage watches)

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
They generally go for much less, but this one almost looks too clean. Maybe new-old-stock (in which I case I would expect it to go for more), or maybe redial and polished?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I looked at a few reds that sold in the forums here over the years, and a few things stood out to me. 1) this is a super popular model to knock off. 2) does that pearl look a little to the left, or am I just seeing things? 3) the bezel insert font looks modern to me. 4) the red subs I found listed in the sales forums were not simply marked "SWISS". I'm not any kind of an expert here, but I thought the usual marking was "SWISS - T < 25", and that's what I found on the ones in the sales forum.

Again, if any of these observations seem inaccurate, please correct me. I'm not a vintage Rolex expert.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Can be a Mk viii with Rolex service dial...the one with "swiss", luminova and the submariner wording wider than the dept wording...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Premium Member
20,846 Posts
Vintage Rolexes are a good way to get burned if you don't know your stuff. I would head over to the Rolex Forum, where they have a vintage Rolex subforum, and you should be able to get more useful information there.

The Red Submariner you've posted looks (suspiciously) pristine, and the dial marking do seem unusual, since as mentioned above, it typically states "Swiss - T < 25" at the bottom, and tritium lume tends to discolor with time. If it is authentic, then it has the Mark VIII (Luminova) Red Sub Service Dial, which should look like the following:

Reactions: AAMC

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Forgive the intrusion, but what makes this model so valuable? Why not take the same money and buy a shiny new Rolex?

good question...I understand that an original Red Sub is/was "craved" by collectors...but in this case (the ones with service dial) I don't know if they are more or less desirable than the original ones....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgive the intrusion, but what makes this model so valuable? Why not take the same money and buy a shiny new Rolex?
I just started getting interested in this vintage rolexes so my reasons are simply trying to add unique "value" to my collection. Be it a small difference in paint color or material finishes. Or maybe I'm just that of a fool :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have an authentic 1680 Red Sub...

from 1970. IMO like others have stated it looks like a Luminova service dial and hands. The bezel insert looks like a replacement as well. One thing nobody else has mentioned that could effect the value is the serial number. If its in the range of the original red subs then the replacement dial is more "correct". If its a later watch with a replacement dial then it's more problematic from an authenticity standpoint and should be worth less. Of course all I've said assumes that the watch is all OEM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts