WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I think all Swiss watches are homages to German watches since Germany has a longer watch making history and a German invented the watch.

Just kidding, but not.

Reactions: abduksion

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No. It was a huge shaggy dog story. It might have started seriously, I'm not even sure. But in the end, what ever the suggestion the OP always found something that wasn't quite right. Hilarious actually
Maybe I haven't made my intent clear. I saw a watch I liked and was concerned that it might be an homage of something more expensive. Like Steinhart's Sub homages. I know how to avoid a Rolex homage. I don't know how to avoid an homage of old-time square watches, so I am asking here what other pieces look like this thing. So far, I've been pleased to find that the suggestions don't look like this one. everything has been quite right, in other words... except the quality, as I'm now reading.

@Fahoo Forays I haven’t hand but the watch but it looks like something that may disappoint in hand due to lackluster build quality and finishing. Just something to think about if you’ve only seen it in pics.
Thank you.

I wish people would be more specific when they mention fit and finish. "May disappoint in the hand" is a reasonable statement I can actually make sense of beyond opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,759 Posts
I wish people would be more specific when they mention fit and finish. "May disappoint in the hand" is a reasonable statement I can actually make sense of beyond opinion.
To be more specific, my suspicion (and that’s all it is) would be that case transitions may be imprecise, the dial might look similarly imprecise in the patterned areas and the hands may look like thin pieces of snipped sheet metal. Again, those are all just guesses.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
To be more specific, my suspicion (and that’s all it is) would be that case transitions may be imprecise, the dial might look similarly imprecise in the patterned areas and the hands may look like thin pieces of snipped sheet metal. Again, those are all just guesses.
Thank you so much! I think the other poster was trolling, because s/he didn't bother to explain.

That's one of the downsides of this site. You don't just tell people who want to learn about watches that "this one sucks". You explain why. You did this. Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
8,759 Posts
Thank you so much! I think the other poster was trolling, because s/he didn't bother to explain.

That's one of the downsides of this site. You don't just tell people who want to learn about watches that "this one sucks". You explain why. You did this. Thanks so much.
I don’t think they were trolling. Perhaps they just assumed we all have the same level of knowledge. Anyway, I’m glad to help. I’ve learned so much on WUS, some from helpful posters and some from... Let’s just say posters who helped me unintentionally. It’s a great resource, especially if youre willing to admit what you don’t know and ask questions designed to elicit specific responses.

Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts

It looks like kinda what I would expect of a $200 quartz chrono? You're only getting so much for that kind of money. It would help if I could see a clearer photo or preferably more photos from other angles, but the hands and markers to my eye at least seem...fine? I've seen worse from watches costing more, at least.

·
Premium Member
8,759 Posts
If you’re interested, there are a few threads floating around where posters have gone to the trouble to post macro shots of watches from Invicta to Grand Seiko and Rolex. The results are illuminating. I learned quite a bit, including that Casio’s Oceanus line has incredibly sharp finishing for the price.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It's like a cross between a Breguet Heritage Chrono with 3 subdials and a Breguet Big Date (with a small seconds), both of which have Roman numerals rather than markers. But I don't think it's a direct copy of any specific watch, unless it's a little known reference VC, PP or the like.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It looks like kinda what I would expect of a $200 quartz chrono? You're only getting so much for that kind of money. It would help if I could see a clearer photo or preferably more photos from other angles, but the hands and markers to my eye at least seem...fine? I've seen worse from watches costing more, at least.
I gave that some thought, but I didn't see anything in the images to suggest it was a dog. I've got some Vostok dials that are applied and look fine.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that everything is an homage to something or other…

• Wow
Reactions: Fahoo Forays

·
Premium Member
JLC Reverso Duoface
6,273 Posts
Philip Watch quartz rectangular chronograph. I'm interested, but not if it's an homage. Does this remind you of something else, anything else, and if so, could you name the watch? I won't even ask you to provide me a link. I'll do the legwork. Thanks so very much!

View attachment 16624069
5 seconds with the Google reverse image search finds the Vacheron Constantin Malte Tonneau Chronograph which Google thinks looks very similar. I guess you've never heard of Google?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts