WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
If you do find it to be an homage will you ditch it in favour of the Real McCoy ?
I would not have bought the watch without confirmation that it was its own thing, so that day would never dawn.

I've already chalked it off due to possible quality issues. The point of this thread was to assure that that the watch had enough of its own design language that there would be no "Real McCoy". I did find in one of the last images posted in this thread that it's too close for comfort to one piece, so no, I would not have bought it in any case.

If you like it, why are you seeking reasons to be offended by it? Are you being tested on it afterwards or something?
Some of you have been doing this for decades. I've been doing it for a year. I would not want to waste money on an homage/replica/copy/knockoff*. I would not want to buy a watch and find out later that it's an homage of something more highly regarded. I don't want that on my wrist whether I like the way it looks or not. And that's a lot easier to do than you might think. I've done it once already, without knowing, because I wasn't aware that a certain company had produced a green bicolor GMT bezel.

This knowledge doesn't come at birth. We have to have help avoiding the pitfalls.

*they are essentially interchangeable terms for my purpose. If a watch has enough of its own design language/choice of hands, colorway, dial differences, markers, etc., then it's its own thing and should not be called an homage in the first place. If I need to see the dial to know that this watch isn't a _

The point is that I'm here asking people I believe have more knowledge than I do about a watch style I'm not familiar with. They can help me avoid an homage or a poor quality timepiece. "Buy what you like" should be tempered with "Learn before you buy".

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Some of you have been doing this for decades. I've been doing it for a year. I would not want to waste money on an homage/replica/copy/knockoff*.

*they are essentially interchangeable terms for my purpose.
Your purpose? What about the people whom you asked a question? You can insist your own definitons of words that everyone uses if you like, but it makes communication impossible. So with that, I'm out. You may as well be writing in a cipher.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Your purpose? What about the people whom you asked a question? You can insist your own definitons of words that everyone uses if you like, but it makes communication impossible. So with that, I'm out. You may as well be writing in a cipher.
No one was misled and no one was asked to change their definition of homage. I don't think anyone else took offense at my interpretation. No one needed to share my sentiments to answer the questions I had.

I'm thankful to the posters for helping me avoid a poor watch and something that looked a bit too much like a more expensive piece.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts