WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is this watch an homage of anything?

3K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  Fahoo Forays 
#1 ·
Philip Watch quartz rectangular chronograph. I'm interested, but not if it's an homage. Does this remind you of something else, anything else, and if so, could you name the watch? I won't even ask you to provide me a link. I'll do the legwork. Thanks so very much!

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Watch accessory

See less See more
#8 ·
I took a look at the Vacheron, and there are definitely differences. Thanks!
I Googled and haven't seen anything yet that truns me away from the watch.

Pretty sure I've seen similar watches from a few places. Not sure it's specifically an homage to something iconic.
Thanks. The "similar" doesn't bother me at all if there are no specific homages, or even if there are several. As long as it's not close to a 1 for 1 homage of something more expensive. I'm looking for nuances that set it apart.

EDIT: (lol @ setting apart a $200 watch). What I mean is, I don't want to pay money for something if my growth as a watch enthusiast leads me to discover later that it's an homage. I don't know all the brands and styles out there, so I'm asking.

#21 ·

Reactions: abduksion
#15 ·
#18 ·
@Fahoo Forays I haven’t handled the watch but it looks like something that may disappoint in hand due to lackluster build quality and finishing. Just something to think about if you’ve only seen it in pics.

#28 ·
If you’re interested, there are a few threads floating around where posters have gone to the trouble to post macro shots of watches from Invicta to Grand Seiko and Rolex. The results are illuminating. I learned quite a bit, including that Casio’s Oceanus line has incredibly sharp finishing for the price.

#32 ·
I have come to the conclusion that everything is an homage to something or other…

• Wow
Reactions: Fahoo Forays
#37 · (Edited)
Philip Watch quartz rectangular chronograph. I'm interested, but not if it's an homage. Does this remind you of something else, anything else, and if so, could you name the watch? I won't even ask you to provide me a link. I'll do the legwork. Thanks so very much!

View attachment 16624069
5 seconds with the Google reverse image search finds the Vacheron Constantin Malte Tonneau Chronograph which Google thinks looks very similar. I guess you've never heard of Google?

#44 ·
I would not have bought the watch without confirmation that it was its own thing, so that day would never dawn.

I've already chalked it off due to possible quality issues. The point of this thread was to assure that that the watch had enough of its own design language that there would be no "Real McCoy". I did find in one of the last images posted in this thread that it's too close for comfort to one piece, so no, I would not have bought it in any case.

If you like it, why are you seeking reasons to be offended by it? Are you being tested on it afterwards or something?
Some of you have been doing this for decades. I've been doing it for a year. I would not want to waste money on an homage/replica/copy/knockoff*. I would not want to buy a watch and find out later that it's an homage of something more highly regarded. I don't want that on my wrist whether I like the way it looks or not. And that's a lot easier to do than you might think. I've done it once already, without knowing, because I wasn't aware that a certain company had produced a green bicolor GMT bezel.

This knowledge doesn't come at birth. We have to have help avoiding the pitfalls.

*they are essentially interchangeable terms for my purpose. If a watch has enough of its own design language/choice of hands, colorway, dial differences, markers, etc., then it's its own thing and should not be called an homage in the first place. If I need to see the dial to know that this watch isn't a _

The point is that I'm here asking people I believe have more knowledge than I do about a watch style I'm not familiar with. They can help me avoid an homage or a poor quality timepiece. "Buy what you like" should be tempered with "Learn before you buy".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.