WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i bought this watch and i want to know if is real vacheron constantin or is just a fake ? I also find this story but i dont know if the story can give some fame and advance to the watch. Here the story: There was a 30-year period from 1755 to 1785 when Jean-Marie Vacheron worked under his own name. Two brothers and a nephew were also watchmakers but nothing has been found of their work. The earliest example of Jean-Marie's, est. 1760, was signed on the movement "J.M. Vacheron". He later used "Vacheron � Gen�ve", which appears on the dial of two surviving watches, until his retirement.

His son and grandson carried on the Vacheron name, using "Abraham Vacheron", "Vacheron Girod", and "Vacheron Chossat" until Francois Constantin became a partner in 1819. The rest of the story is well known.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Frankly, I doubt it- it looks like an ordinary FHF ebauche with 10 jewels and a cylinder escapement. Besides, I've never heard of the brand using only "Vacheron". OK, they did before 1819/1820, but the watch in question is most likely from the 1880s/1890s. I think it might be like with the Schwob brothers, who sold their watches branded "Pateck Geneve"- IIRC, Patek Philippe sued them and won the case.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
MKWS is right on. Forgive this cut-and-paste from an earlier post but these pieces come up too frequently...

Vacheron & Constantin became so well regarded that around 1830 timepieces began to appear spuriously marked "Vacheron" and "Vacheron Frères" of Geneva (à Genève). According to the Annales de la Maison d'Horlogerie Vacheron et Constantin, this problem so vexed the Manufacture that, in 1850, when two letters were received addressed to "Vacheron Frères à Genève", this sharp response was penned;
There is no maker of horology by the name of Vacheron Frères. There are many watches with this name, but they are imitations of secondary quality. There are a great many people who, not wishing to give themselves the trouble of making a name, find it useful to use that of another. You may affirm without fear that it is a false name.

Legitimate pieces marked Vacheron à Genève are very rare and construction will be consistent with their pre-1785 period, while the spurious watches from the mid-19th century onward are most often Lepine-type with cylinder escapements. The copyists leave further clues; often incorrectly inscribing cuvettes with "Cylindre" rather than V&C's standard descriptor "Echappement Horizontal".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts