WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great link. Mathematically it certainly is possible. Another thing I struggle to wrap my feeble brain around is the fact that atomic clocks run slower and time passes more slowly as we approach Einstein's C; the cosmological constant of the speed of light.

Just imagine sitting in a space craft going 186,000 miles per SECOND. At that rate, you would have to sit behind the wheel of that imaginary spacecraft for 100,000 years to merely travel from one side of our Milky Way galaxy to the other, and our average size galaxy is only one of c. 50 billion galaxies. Makes my head hurt.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It takes the suns light to hit earth around 8 minutes, that's travelling at 186,282 Miles per second. To get to the nearest star other than our sun it would take around 4 light years, that's 4 years travelling at the speed of light!
Try entering those numbers into your head, it's mind-boggling.
If you think the size of space is amazing, the largest sun known to man is VY Canis Majoris. If you tried to compare our sun to this star, our sun would be non-existant compared to the size of this beast! Canis Majoris is about 5000 light years away from earth.
This is what our sun would look like compared to Canis Majoris Sun vs_ VY Canis Majoris.jpg
Ah I can talk about this all day!
Sorry slightly off topic. But is time travel possible? It COULD be possible if we had the correct equipment and speed :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Great link. Mathematically it certainly is possible. Another thing I struggle to wrap my feeble brain around is the fact that atomic clocks run slower and time passes more slowly as we approach Einstein's C; the cosmological constant of the speed of light.
"c" is just the speed of light, and it's not the cosmological constant. In special relativity, Einstein postulated that c is constant for all inertial (non-accelerating) reference frames (no matter how fast you go, you always observe light travelling at v=c) and the famous equation is a consequence of that. The cosmological constant is something Einstein introduced into General Relativity (that deals with accelerating reference frames), to explain a static unexpanding universe which he thought existed. We now know the universe isn't static but the cosmological constant is still useful! If a theory predicts something is possible, it doesn't necessarily say anything about physical reality, it has to be tested: that is the Principle of Falsification. We try to disprove physical theory, and unlike mathematical theory, it can never be proven.

Just imagine sitting in a space craft going 186,000 miles per SECOND. At that rate, you would have to sit behind the wheel of that imaginary spacecraft for 100,000 years to merely travel from one side of our Milky Way galaxy to the other, and our average size galaxy is only one of c. 50 billion galaxies. Makes my head hurt.
Anything with finite rest mass can never be at v=c, although nothing (except energy constraints) precludes it existing arbitrarily close on either side. At v=c, there is no "proper time" i.e. there would be no passage of time due to time dilation: everything would happen instantaneously, so there would be no sitting behind a wheel for 10^5 years! From the perspective of the spaceship, the galaxy would have gotten smaller due to length contraction.

Kip Thorne and Stephen Hawking have famously discussed betting on whether or not time travel is possible but Hawking won't take the bet because Thorne may have seen the future and know the answer :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're right there BreitBling, It hurts my brain to try and comprehend the wonder and magnitude of this universe. We really don't have any idea how incredible it is! I would recommend this talk to you by a man called Louie Giglio. It changed my life when I watched it, as he talks about the immensity of the planets in such a way that allows you nearly to get your head around it. it's brilliant, and most significantly, he relates it all back to God, the Creator, and how powerful He is that even though He could make planets and a universe THAT size, He still loves us and desires to know us in a personal way. Highly recommended, even if you're not big into religion or anything, coz it's not religious at all, it's just talking about the planets and God. :) How Great Is Our God - Louie Giglio - YouTube

As for time travel.. if I had a brain for physics I might have a better opinion on this! As far as I'm concerned it seems impossible, but hey, science is reaching new heights these days!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
If time travel is possible, I'd like to travel back, and prevent Jedward's parents from ever meeting!! :-d:-d

·
Registered
539 Posts
listen to " coast to coast am" the philladelphia experiment....podcast on youtube. rotating magnetic field with a rotating frequency field....similar to what ed leedskelnin used on coral castle.who knows hey?

·
Registered
224 Posts
"c" is just the speed of light, and it's not the cosmological constant. In special relativity, Einstein postulated that c is constant for all inertial (non-accelerating) reference frames (no matter how fast you go, you always observe light travelling at v=c) and the famous equation is a consequence of that. The cosmological constant is something Einstein introduced into General Relativity (that deals with accelerating reference frames), to explain a static unexpanding universe which he thought existed. We now know the universe isn't static but the cosmological constant is still useful! If a theory predicts something is possible, it doesn't necessarily say anything about physical reality, it has to be tested: that is the Principle of Falsification. We try to disprove physical theory, and unlike mathematical theory, it can never be proven.

Anything with finite rest mass can never be at v=c, although nothing (except energy constraints) precludes it existing arbitrarily close on either side. At v=c, there is no "proper time" i.e. there would be no passage of time due to time dilation: everything would happen instantaneously, so there would be no sitting behind a wheel for 10^5 years! From the perspective of the spaceship, the galaxy would have gotten smaller due to length contraction.

Kip Thorne and Stephen Hawking have famously discussed betting on whether or not time travel is possible but Hawking won't take the bet because Thorne may have seen the future and know the answer :)

You can do a lot of things with mathematics that make it look as though time travel is possible, but unless the physics agrees, the mathematics is useless. As Yogi Berra said, "In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
"c" is just the speed of light, and it's not the cosmological constant...
Actually, you could say that this 'constant' is currently under review... largely due to the experiments that happened at the Cern laboratory in Geneva where they observed neutrinos actually travelling *faster* than the speed of light. I heard somewhere that means it's theoretically possible to travel backwards in time... and somewhere in the discussion will be wormholes and string theory...who knows, maybe we'll see time machines one day :)

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Traveling forward in time is possible... we do it all the time. ;-) Due to the way gravity works with time, it is said that if you could pilot a spacecraft near a black hole without being sucked into it, you'd find time slow down significantly, relative to points far away from the black hole. In essence, you would have a one way trip of traveling forward in time.

As for going backwards in time, there's one simple thing to consider. Have you ever heard of anyone appearing from the future? Of course, it could be that if indeed it happened, it was done in a clandestine fashion where someone appeared to specific people that promised not to tell anyone about it. Some people theorize that biological forms cannot travel back in time, but that inanimate objects can. UFO's could simply be objects from our future, visiting the past to observe and gather information. The top priority is to be concealed, because of the extreme sensitivity of interference (the "Butterfly Effect", which could cause ripples of disruption to the future timeline). This would explain why they are so elusive.

I personally do not think people can travel back in time, just the same way they can't teleport through a molecular scrambling device. You wouldn't survive the trip.

·
Registered
877 Posts
As for going backwards in time, there's one simple thing to consider. Have you ever heard of anyone appearing from the future?
OK I'll bite that :) It could be that the technology would only allow one to time travel back to when it was first switched on. Consider the creation of a macroscopic worm-hole, with some way to hold the bridge open (anti-gravity, exotic matter, ???, ...). Take one end A and time-dilate it a bit w.r.t the other end B (put it into orbit around a black hole ???) and put them back in the same inertial frame. The two ends now have a relative time delta. End A will be 'younger' than end B. What clock do the two ends sync to? If it's "proper time", travelling through the bridge A->B will see you appearing back through end B at a smaller relative time than you started at! Using this tech, you would only be able to travel back (close) to the time the bridge was created at. I know my outline is very simplistic, but it still might be of interest none-the-less!

As Yogi Berra said, "In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."
Great quote!

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Rogerlike, I'm now convinced you're a time traveling ninja from the future, here to accumulate all kinds of highly coveted items that are highly prized relics in your time, like G-Shocks... super rugged digital wristwatches that really do stand the test of time. If only the resin and modules would last as long as the rest of the watch. I'll bet anything you've got a huge trunk full of replacement resin bezels, bands, and modules to bring back with you to the future.

;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts