WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've long had this thought--I would buy X watch if I didn't already have Y watch which is kind of similar. For instance, I really want a Jaeger Master Control, but that spot is more than aptly filled by my GS hi-beat and AT 8500. In other instances, maybe there's a watch we would buy if we could afford it, but our watch budget is tied up in the existing collection we've had for years. For example, I'd love an AS Gravity or GO PML, but buying it would take a substantial chunk of my savings--unless I sold my collection, and then it'd be no problem.

I feel like I need to constantly be experimenting and learning by trying new things, and that, barring some unexpected massive raise, having a nice collection is preventing me from doing that.

I'm not a flipper to be sure and I probably won't ever be. It's not like that--it's not like I stopped liking my Omega. I love to wear it. I appreciate it every time I see it.

Anyway, I've been loosely contemplating just selling my entire collection of nice watches all in one fell swoop and starting over fresh. I don't know that I will...in a way, it takes guts to sell your own dream watch that's actually still your dream watch. My grail didn't change when I got the GS--it's still it. That's exactly why I haven't bought a second GS. I already have my favorite and it keeps me from trying anything else.

Thoughts? About your own collection or otherwise.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I do believe in one way that it's holding me back from specific watches but I hope to eventually get all the ones that I want. For example, I really want a Rolex Sub but I already have an Omega PO and a Tag Carrera so I feel as though I need to get a more dressy watch to balance my collection so the next in line for me is a JLC UT.

But lately I've been thinking about it and I'm really starting to want the Rolex. Perhaps it's a slight OCD thing or trying to impress the watch community or trying to get an all round 'perfect' collection in my own mind that is forcing me to buy watches in a specific order despite actually 'wanting' them in another.

Reactions: toyus

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I've long had this thought--I would buy X watch if I didn't already have Y watch which is kind of similar. For instance, I really want a Jaeger Master Control, but that spot is more than aptly filled by my GS hi-beat and AT 8500. In other instances, maybe there's a watch we would buy if we could afford it, but our watch budget is tied up in the existing collection we've had for years. For example, I'd love an AS Gravity or GO PML, but buying it would take a substantial chunk of my savings--unless I sold my collection, and then it'd be no problem.

I feel like I need to constantly be experimenting and learning by trying new things, and that, barring some unexpected massive raise, having a nice collection is preventing me from doing that.

I'm not a flipper to be sure and I probably won't ever be. It's not like that--it's not like I stopped liking my Omega. I love to wear it. I appreciate it every time I see it.

Anyway, I've been loosely contemplating just selling my entire collection of nice watches all in one fell swoop and starting over fresh. I don't know that I will...in a way, it takes guts to sell your own dream watch that's actually still your dream watch. My grail didn't change when I got the GS--it's still it. That's exactly why I haven't bought a second GS. I already have my favorite and it keeps me from trying anything else.

Perhaps, young one....Your collection....Is complete?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I don't like buying similar looking watches.

I have a blue-dialed Omega Speedmaster Day/Date and a blue-dialed TAG Carrera and, it bothers me a bit that I have two blue-dialed chronographs competing for my attention.

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
Nothing inanimate can hold me back, ever.

Reactions: akasnowmaaan

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Hmmm. This is an interesting question. I know that there are certain watches I have considered briefly but did not buy because I had a very similar watch, however, I don't feel held back by this because if I liked the new watch a significant amount more than the one I already had I would sell the current one and get the new one. I tend to also avoid having "too many" watches from one manufacturer but I have bent the meaning of "too many" on occasion to facilitate a new purchase.

I suppose the biggest way my accumulation holds me back is the money I have tied up in the watches I currently have. There is some vaguely defined limit to the amount of money I am comfortable having spent on watches and that alone is the most likely reason not to buy a new watch I am in love with, but again if that watch significantly exceeds the love for one of my current watches I might still buy the new watch is a watch I currently have (an don't like as much) could be sold and fully fund the new purchase.

Reactions: toyus

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Yes it does - but that's fine. I like my collection and every single watch I;ve owned. But to keep things financially sane, I need to sell to fund new blood.

I have and will continue to keep a core group within the collection that I will not sell unless something irresistible comes along or some financial emergency requires it. And I have recently sold/traded a piece that was part of the "core group" and held for over 7 years to help fund a new member of the core.

For new infusion/blood I buy cheaper watches that I like and that prevents me from selling the core group when I get bored with he collection.

For instance this Seiko, which I know won't be kept forever, but right now I'm in love with it and satiates my need for "new blood"

But the thing that really holds the collection back is the sky rocketing prices of new models being put out by both the established brands and the boutiques!

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I do believe in one way that it's holding me back from specific watches but I hope to eventually get all the ones that I want. For example, I really want a Rolex Sub but I already have an Omega PO and a Tag Carrera so I feel as though I need to get a more dressy watch to balance my collection so the next in line for me is a JLC UT.

But lately I've been thinking about it and I'm really starting to want the Rolex. Perhaps it's a slight OCD thing or trying to impress the watch community or trying to get an all round 'perfect' collection in my own mind that is forcing me to buy watches in a specific order despite actually 'wanting' them in another.
If you want a Rolex then get one. Nothing wrong in having a PO also. Nobody on here will think any less or more of you because of the watches you own :)

My three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I don't follow the Dress, Diver, Chrono, Beater, etc., rule...
I like sport watches on bracelet...and that is what I will be buying. I don't mind having more than one divers or more than one sports chronographs or more than one AT style watches because that's the styles I like. (Not a fan of dress nor pilot watches)
You only wear one watch at a time and quite frankly if both are divers, a Sub is a Sub and a PO is a PO, or a Speedy is a Speedy and a Carrera is a Carrera.
Wearing a watch I like everyday it's more important to me than having a dress, diver, beater, etc. That way they will not have the same "love" nor wrist time.

BTW a Master Control is a Master Control, an AT is an AT and a GS is a GS...totally different watches

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If you want a Rolex then get one. Nothing wrong in having a PO also. Nobody on here will think any less or more of you because of the watches you own :)

My three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like this approach

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Yes it did...I finally realized it....Solved my problem, which opened up a new one,selling the wrong watches....:-(
Wanta buy a wrong watch:-s

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
My collection is holding me back because I have 6 watches and the missus deems that enough (despite her buying new a 10 slot box - the cheek of it!) So I should sell my affordable - but very much loved - pieces and only have 2/3 more expensive pieces, then she can't whine if I buy more!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I know that there are certain watches I have considered briefly but did not buy because I had a very similar watch, however, I don't feel held back by this because if I liked the new watch a significant amount more than the one I already had I would sell the current one and get the new one. I tend to also avoid having "too many" watches from one manufacturer but I have bent the meaning of "too many" on occasion to facilitate a new purchase...
This, pretty well, remains my approach. Anything more than one is "too many", at least for now. I try to keep a variety of movements as well.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Actually, this has been my approach to buying watches. There are so many nice selections out there and I am always tempted to take the plunge. It's call "impulsive buy". o|

The fact that I have not (and not planning to) flip any watches make it even more important that I pick the right one with each of my purchases. It has worked so far, and I am trying very hard to stick to one brand one watch (but broke this "rule" with 3 acquisitions made - 2 last year, and 1 just two moths back), but other than that, I have been sticking to the "plan". I have 16 watches, 13 brands. I also try not to buy watches that look too similar. So, I tend to look for different complications, dial colour, etc.

I will continue with the approach as a means of buying sensibly .... so, YES, my collection is holding me back. :-!

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sort of. I frequently see a watch that appeals to me but already have something similar that I genuinely like and buying the new one means the old one(s) won't get worn as much.

I too have considered clearing out my collection and starting afresh but no doubt some of those sold would be missed and I'd have to buy the same model all over again.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Citizen, my collection isn't necessarily holding me back, but I get what you're asking! I really do. Until I got my GS, I was pretty satisfied with my collection. Yes indeed I was. Then the GS came and all of the sudden, I'm looking at watches in the morning and thinking I don't wear you much to be honest, so should I keep you? I've never been a flipper, but for the first time since this insanity started almost two years ago, I'm contemplating flipping two of my watches that I just don't think will get the wrist time they deserve. And what does one do when one get's something as perfect as a Grand Seiko, where do I go from here? I think I've arrived at a crossroads, but which direction it will go, is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think you have described the situation well, at least for many people who don't have unlimited budgets. One problem I have is that I have no knowledge of how to sell a watch, and don't really want to get into that scene, and furthermore I wear watches, not recklessly, but also in a way that does not keep them from ultimately showing some wear. In other words, I'm not going to be selling any watches, so my "collection," such as it is, definitely limits further expansion. If I could magically sell every watch I own at its original purchase price, I would do it. Does that mean I wish some being from the future could have tapped me on the shoulder years ago and said, you are eventually going to spend $XXXX on watches, so just buy one or two watches with that money now? Probably, yes, but who knows, I might have bought something stupid instead of a handful of watches that I do actually like and use. It's complicated. But I've sort of hit a wall right now. I have an occasional urge to get something that for my budget is fairly nice ($1Kish), but then I say, no, if you keep doing that you will eventually spend enough to get the GS or JLC you really want. But the counter-argument is, No, you will never be psychologically able to write that big a check for a watch, so just give up on that and enjoy the lesser ones. Ah, craziness.

·
Premium Member
14,515 Posts
I guess one day maybe, but my collection is not formidable enough to hold me back

1 - 20 of 45 Posts