WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..I was driving the other day & caught a glance at my watch..It got me thinking how many people out there do the same thing & kinda realise that the watch on their wrist at that time would cost more than the car they're driving! Please post pics..

·
Registered
864 Posts
The car is a necessity, the watch a luxury, so I try to get my spending proportional.......
I get what you mean, but you miss an obvious point. Any car above a certain limit (think a high mileage average car that fits the family) is just as luxury as any watch above a cheap durable quartz. It is purely a matter of hobby and interests above a certain limit as both require high service costs :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
My car is worth 8X my most costly watch
It is worth 2x my watch collection

This brings up a question: Will time use and depreciation change this ratio?

I figure if I continue to drive my AMG at a rate of 5K miles per year, all the while wearing my watches in rotation, the collection I have now will exceed my car's value in about 7 years. Continue for another 7 years and my Datejust alone may have the better of it.

Currently my grail watch costs about the same as a used sports car. Given the choice, I would favor the Porsche over the Patek. Only one of those choices promises to last the rest of my life though.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Sometimes the watch I wear is worth more than the car I'm driving and sometimes the opposite is true. I've got multiple cars, multiple watches, although my most valuable watches are more valuable than my most valuable cars. Over time though, the way things are going hopefully more and more frequently the watch I'm wearing is going to be worth more than the car I'm driving. I see cars for the most part as transportation and therefore they are a cost to be minimized. Watches on the other hand are collectibles to me. Increasing interest in watch collecting has significantly increased the value of some of my watches, while the passage of time has not been so kind to the value of my cars. Weirds me out a bit. Makes me wonder whether I should sell watches when they become worth allot more than I would pay for them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If I'm only considering my car, not my wife's, then my watch collection is worth significantly more than my car. I only have one watch that is worth less independently.

Time for an upgrade! Hmm... GT-4 or NSX?

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
I've been wearing watches for over 50 years, and all the watches I've owned in my life total less than $1500. The trend is changing though, since half of that was in the last four months. :-d

Oddly enough, I once owned a car that was cheaper than my watch at the time, which was $65. The car only cost me $1, but I spent a couple hundred making it safe to drive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
...not even close. IF I consider the retail price of ALL my watches versus the price of just my car (not counting any other motor vehicle) maybe...a quarter of the vehicle's value. I could be wrong...but, if I saw a fellow wearing a watch that costs MORE than his car...I'd be inclined to think that the watch was a replica.
I beg to differ.... depends on where you are, really.

The total value of my watches costs around USD55,000.
However, a car in Singapore costs an arm and a leg.

A simple brand new entry level Japanese car (Toyota Camry made in Thailand) will set you back by USD101,000. And you can only have the car for 10 years because your license to own the car (called COE in Singapore) is only lasts for 10 years. That COE (Certificate of Entitlement) can cost up to 70% of your car's actual price, depending on which category your car falls into (sedan, sports, engine capacity etc). If you did not extend your COE (you need to rebid again according to market demand), you have to scrap your car.

I bought a 5 years old Mitsubishi 1500cc Lancer for USD36,000 back in 2012. It was considered cheap then as the COE wasn't as exorbitant compared to now. COE has probably gone up 200% by now. At that time I've only spent around USD20,000 on watches. Then I lost my license due to drink-driving for 1.5 years so I had to sell my car. Guess where all that money went to. LOL

Now, you tell me if you will spend your money on watches or cars if you are in Singapore.

P.S: A brand new Ferrari FF in Singapore will set you back by USD1,028,000. Ooops.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I beg to differ.... depends on where you are, really.

The total value of my watches costs around USD55,000.
However, a car in Singapore costs an arm and a leg.

A simple brand new entry level Japanese car (Toyota Camry made in Thailand) will set you back by USD101,000. And you can only have the car for 10 years because your license to own the car (called COE in Singapore) is only lasts for 10 years. That COE (Certificate of Entitlement) can cost up to 70% of your car's actual price, depending on which category your car falls into (sedan, sports, engine capacity etc). If you did not extend your COE (you need to rebid again according to market demand), you have to scrap your car.

I bought a 5 years old Mitsubishi 1500cc Lancer for USD36,000 back in 2012. It was considered cheap then as the COE wasn't as exorbitant compared to now. COE has probably gone up 200% by now. At that time I've only spent around USD20,000 on watches. Then I lost my license due to drink-driving for 1.5 years so I had to sell my car. Guess where all that money went to. LOL

Now, you tell me if you will spend your money on watches or cars if you are in Singapore.

P.S: A brand new Ferrari FF in Singapore will set you back by USD1,028,000. Ooops.
Wow... Point taken. lol. The world IS different over there.
But, on my side of the plant, I was referring to...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I drive a 2006 jeep TJ with 180k miles on it. I would value it around 8k. Approximately the same value as my most expensive watch, a SubC. I love cars but am a backyard mechanic and having a nice new car doesn't appeal to me. Working on my jeep is cheaper than therapy. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 373 Posts