WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
361 - 373 of 373 Posts

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
18,850 Posts
How sad... LOL
Nah, just different priorities. I am still blessed with more watches than I can reasonably justify owning LOL. There will be more, higher value watches in the future :)

But they will no longer be worth more than my daily driver ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Depends on the watch and the car. 🤣. (Though my “quail buggy” may not have much longer…. Most comfortably sized car I’ve ever had, and surprisingly maneuverable, but…. I suppose I could have it restored…)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Watch Photograph Speedometer Odometer Trip computer

This one is worth more than my 17 years old daily driver. That being said, I wouldn’t sell this car for less than what most may consider an absurd price. I love it.

• Love
Reactions: Maxgus

·
Registered
131 Posts
This one is worth more than my 17 years old daily driver. That being said, I wouldn’t sell this car for less than what most may consider an absurd price. I love it.
That looks a lot like the dashboard of my 2006 Volvo V70 ;)
I feel the same way - I will never sell until it falls apart and that is likely to be a long way off as it only has 26k miles and immaculate...Love this car.

My other is a 2007 Subaru Outback which I have had longer and has high mileage but bits have been dropping off for a while, dash lights are starting to appear and the dash has horrible heat cracks all over it so that may be on the way out.

I certainly don't care if anyone is foolish enough to judge my means by the car I drive (or the watch I wear) - whatever floats your boat....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just before lockdown I sold my car with the intention of getting an expensive replacement. We now realise our small runabout does everything we need, and only once have we had an issue being a one car family. So I can't justify getting a second car, but can justify spending on art and watches. Perhaps something's a bit loose in the noggin department.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That looks a lot like the dashboard of my 2006 Volvo V70 ;)
I feel the same way - I will never sell until it falls apart and that is likely to be a long way off as it only has 26k miles and immaculate...Love this car.
Damn, I thought my 2004 was low mileage at 85k. Yours must be time capsule quality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If a watch appreciating means it's better than a car, well, you approach life a bit differently than me. Not saying who's right or wrong, but certainly different. I've had this car for three years, and going up the right mountain road it still literally makes me laugh out loud, I have so much fun.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

And my motorcycle is worth more than my car. Now, I'm pretty new to the horological obsession, but I really don't see myself wearing a watch worth more than my car or one of my motorcycles.

Incidentally, the watch needs an oil change, the car doesn't. :p

I find mechanical watches fascinating. The precision, the brilliant design, the fact that they do what they do while packing all those parts into something the size of a large coin, the fact that they don't need batteries in a world where you can now buy "smart" sunglasses, it's all fascinating. And then there's the fact that the ability to make precise, accurate measurements was essential in moving mankind into the age of the scientific method. Great stuff. And I've got family connection to NASA and the Apollo program, so I'm sure one of these days I'll break down and grab a moon watch, the only question is whether it will be from Omega or Bulova.

But a Great vehicle is another level of enjoyment. I was once approaching one of my favorite stretches of road - short, but very sweet - in this 996. I had just been passed by a Dodge that probably had 2 more liters and heaven only knows how much horsepower. I let him go by, then snuck up and passed him on the first turn. He did everything he could, but he couldn't get past me again. I'll be boring people with that story for decades if I'm lucky. Or countless stories roaming the American west and a few passes in the Alps on motorcycles. Ah, motorcycles. Watches are cool, cars can be a lot of fun, but two wheels move the soul.

361 - 373 of 373 Posts