WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering about the logos of many of the micro brand watches. Several seem to be based on the Isle of Man three legs. They don't use three legs, but the differences are not great. Since I "specialize" in dive type watches, this may not be true for makers of other types of watches.
I wonder what it is about this particular design that causes it to be so widely used. Any ideas?

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
Examples?

I know of the Isle of Man from Top Gear. It sounds like a motorist's paradise. Although you're not getting me to eat kippers.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Examples?

I know of the Isle of Man from Top Gear. It sounds like a motorist's paradise. Although you're not getting me to eat kippers.
What's wrong with kippers? Best breakfast ever after a full English.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
What's wrong with kippers? Best breakfast ever after a full English.
A kipper is a whole herring, a small, oily fish,[1] that has been split from tail to head, gutted, salted or pickled, and cold smoked.

From Wikipedia.

It sounds like a punishment.

And looks even more unappetizing than it sounds. Don't get me wrong, I love some smoked nova on a bagel with cream cheese, and the idea of bangers and mash sounds fantastic, but if I see that on my plate, I'll consider it an act of war.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Examples?

I urge you not to go to the Isle of Man.

It's known as a motorist's paradise solely because there are no speed limits...and for good reason. They don't need them because there is absolutely nowhere on the island you'd want to reach in a hurry. Except perhaps the ferry port.

And if you've never had kippers and a cup of tea for breakfast then you've let the better things in life pass you by. It was on such breakfasts we built the greatest empire mankind has ever known. Thanks to the humble kipper, the whole world speaks English ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think it's mostly coincidence (the resemblance to the IoM flag). Three interlocked spirals like that is called a triskelion, it's quite a common pattern for a motif (a swastika is a four-armed version). Benarus was the logo that came to my mind first. But I'm sure it's simply 'three dolphins' rather than 'an Isle of Man flag with the legs replaced with dolphins'. Maybe there are some watch companies out there that were inspired by the IoM.

And kippers are not the second best breakfast, pancakes are :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It was on such breakfasts we built the greatest empire mankind has ever known. Thanks to the humble kipper, the whole world speaks English ;)
Well, I'm guessing that ship has sailed now.... Aside from a couple of Altoid factories and Football clubs owned by Oil Sheiks... I'm not quite sure what is left. :-x

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
I urge you not to go to the Isle of Man.

It's known as a motorist's paradise solely because there are no speed limits...and for good reason. They don't need them because there is absolutely nowhere on the island you'd want to reach in a hurry. Except perhaps the ferry port.

And if you've never had kippers and a cup of tea for breakfast then you've let the better things in life pass you by. It was on such breakfasts we built the greatest empire mankind has ever known. Thanks to the humble kipper, the whole world speaks English ;)
The Romans ate kippers?

I might get sent to England for work in the coming months. If so, I will give it a try. After all, I've eaten goat brains and thymus gland, a fish should be easy.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
Isn't that some sort of ritual self-disembowelment?

I suppose I've had worse for breakfast. I've been to Germany.
German food sounds amazing. Sausages and sauerkraut. I think a lot of old school American diner food is based on German food.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
The Romans ate kippers?

I might get sent to England for work in the coming months. If so, I will give it a try. After all, I've eaten goat brains and thymus gland, a fish should be easy.
If you do head our way let us know, I'm sure we can come up with all sorts of culinary (and more importantly alcoholic) recommendations.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
German food sounds amazing. Sausages and sauerkraut. I think a lot of old school American diner food is based on German food.
Your entire cuisine is based on German food isn't it? Hamburgers, hot dogs...is there anything else? :-;

Edit: apologies to the OP. This thread has gone waaaaaay OT

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, I love the answers so far! And I get it. It's a breakfast of fish that stare back at you thing that makes the Isle of Man legs go round.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
If you do head our way let us know, I'm sure we can come up with all sorts of culinary (and more importantly alcoholic) recommendations.
Oh, I will. I'll either go to London and Edinburgh or Singapore. I'm pushing for London/Edinburgh since I've never been to Europe out of Heathrow, I know the language, and the weather in Singapore is atrociously hot and humid.

I think it may be that things in a circular pattern is just a universal image, not so much that it was all spawned from the flag of the Isle of Man.

(See how I brought it back?)

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,057 Posts
A kipper is a whole herring, a small, oily fish,[1] that has been split from tail to head, gutted, salted or pickled, and cold smoked.

From Wikipedia.

It sounds like a punishment.

And looks even more unappetizing than it sounds. Don't get me wrong, I love some smoked nova on a bagel with cream cheese, and the idea of bangers and mash sounds fantastic, but if I see that on my plate, I'll consider it an act of war.
Kipper herring, pickled herring, sardine, salt cod, mackerel, tuna, barracuda,trout, bluefish etc., etc. , love them all! You apparently haven't seen other whole smoked fish...they look a lot like that one. And are they good!

Every fish I've eaten has been gutted, split open, had the scales scraped, maybe had the head cut off and may have been salted, smoked, broiled, fried, etc. Very common ways of prepraring fish. In-fact I had a delicious sashimi lunch today. You are aware that nova lox goes through the same processing???

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
Kipper herring, pickled herring, sardine, salt cod, mackerel, tuna, barracuda,trout, bluefish etc., etc. , love them all! You apparently haven't seen other whole smoked fish...they look a lot like that one. And are they good!

Every fish I've eaten has been gutted, split open, had the scales scraped, maybe had the head cut off and may have been salted, smoked, broiled, fried, etc. Very common ways of prepraring fish. In-fact I had a delicious sashimi lunch today. You are aware that nova lox goes through the same processing???
Yes. But I don't have to see the carcass in order to enjoy eating the flesh.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Sorry, Ghostdancer. Would this be a case of malicious communal thread hijack? I think the normal posters here don't really have an answer to your question (I don't either), and they're too drunk to take the kipper discussion over to the Cafe. ;-) Perhaps if you had posted some pictures of the Isle of Man logos there would have been a bit more fodder for a watch-related conversation. Remember we're all either ADHD or OCD, and pictures make the words more fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts