WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to ask on here as my experience is limited with such things as you can likely tell by my post count.

My wife bought me my grail watch, a Rolex Deepsea dweller from bobs in early December for my birthday.

This watch was as new with stickers. MFG year 2018. Definitely never worn when I received it. I was initially pleased with the quality... but found myself resetting the time a lot. I didn't think much of it initially because I was traveling and crossing time zones often. Maybe I didn't set it right? I can be absent minded...

Anyways, I decided to track it with a popular app after resetting it this morning and the results were pretty disheartening. It is losing about 20 seconds a day so far.

Now, the people at bobs have been willing to help and have generated a label to ship it to them to look at. They have stated that they will inspect it and try regulating it, and if that fixes it then I should have it back pretty quickly.

The issue I have is that they indicated that if it is broken in some way, the repair will be several weeks to months. I realize that I have worn this for a month now, but it just doesn't sit right with me that they would take 15k from my family and send something out that was never inspected, and then expect me to shoulder the burden of being without what I paid for.

Am I right in thinking that this second scenario would be wholly unacceptable or am I working myself up over what is probably standard operating procedure? I am trying to temper my expectations, but I am definitely upset that this piece was likely not inspected at all before it was sent to me (for real, no one can tell me that a piece doing -20 sec/day was checked out). If they can't stick it on a timegrapher, did they inspect it to see if it's real? I certainly am not an expert..

To make this more complicated, this piece definitely has a month of wear on it in locations such as the clasp (desk diving) and the new is beginning to wear off the polished bits as I am sure you all could expect after a month of wear.

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Bob isn't an AD, the watch is not new.
i was looking for constructive dialogue around what my options are if the watch is damaged in some way. thank you for correcting me on the semantics, though.

since we are going that route:

(as) good as new
idiom
: in very good condition : like something that has recently been made

if you look above, since you are such an astute student of grammar, I use the phrase "as new"

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
If it's broken, it has to go to Rolex. As it was bought grey market, I suspect it does not have a Rolex warranty. Ergo, Rolex is not likely to put it at the front of the queue. Even if it was, turn around on watch repair these days is weeks to months. I had to send a watch (not Rolex) back to the manufacturer for a warranty repair and it took roughly 6 weeks before I got notice that it had finally been assigned to a technician for repair. The actual repair took 2-3 days, as I got a shipping notice a couple of days after the "our technician is looking at your watch" notice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's broken, it has to go to Rolex. As it was bought grey market, I suspect it does not have a Rolex warranty. Ergo, Rolex is not likely to put it at the front of the queue. Even if it was, turn around on watch repair these days is weeks to months. I had to send a watch (not Rolex) back to the manufacturer for a warranty repair and it took roughly 6 weeks before I got notice that it had finally been assigned to a technician for repair. The actual repair took 2-3 days, as I got a shipping notice a couple of days after the "our technician is looking at your watch" notice.
it has a warranty card dated 2018 from an AD. this watch was resold to bobs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's impossible to say whether the watch was defective when it was sent to you, because that was a month ago.

Since its from 2018 I believe it's still under warranty, which means you can also go directly to Rolex for warranty repair. Bob willing to handle it, doesn't mean they can turn it around faster.

I suppose you can also see if Bob's is willing to process return but otherwise I am not sure what else Bob's can offer.

If Bob's is working with you, I dont think they are being unreasonable though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Since the watch is under warranty I would just take it to a Rolex AD and let them send it to the Rolex service center to get fixed properly. You don't want one of Bob's Watches certified idiots monkeying around with your $15k watch.

I agree that they should have checked to make sure the watch was keeping "superlative chronometer" time before they sent it to you, but it is what it is at this point. Send it to Rolex and get it fixed properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Several weeks to months seems to be current turnaround times for service. Welcome to the world of Rolex.
I guess I am more annoyed that they may have sold me a broken watch... and the remediation to them selling me a broken watch is for me to wait several weeks to several months.

My plan at the moment is to send to Bob's tomorrow so they can at least look at it in case it just needs a quick regulation.

If they say it needs ANYTHING more then that I am going to ask for either an exchange (they won't) or to send back to me so I can send to rolex myself. I don't want them conducting an extensive repair on their own seeing how they couldn't be bothered to check if this thing worked in the first place.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
You probably have no other option except to accept the grey market dealer's solution, i.e. regulating the watch. If, as you imply, the grey market dealer bought the watch new from the AD, it is not expected that the grey market dealer would test or regulate

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,769 Posts
If Bob isn't an AD, the watch is not new.
Indeed. And it may have been sold previously and is being resold by Bobs the dealer. If new rather than new looking it should go back to Rolex under warranty. Hopefully the o.p. will clear up whether there is a warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Indeed. And it may have been sold previously and is being resold by Bobs the dealer. If new rather than new looking it should go back to Rolex under warranty. Hopefully the i.p. will clear this up.
I don't understand the disconnect. I cleared this up several times in the thread already.

in my initial post, I said "as new" - which to my knowledge means in new condition, but not new.

I also clarified in later posts that I have a dated 2018 warranty card from a rolex AD and it appears it was resold to bob's.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,769 Posts
Is there a warranty that is transferrable to you? If so you should have Rolex working on the watch. Otherwise consider looking for a trained Rolex tech.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why don’t you just send it to Rolex the first time? It sounds like it won’t be any quicker at Bob’s, even if it’s just a regulation. Personally, knowing that it will be done right the first time at Rolex would be more important to me, even if it takes a little longer.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Am I right in thinking that this second scenario would be wholly unacceptable or am I working myself up over what is probably standard operating procedure? I am trying to temper my expectations, but I am definitely upset that this piece was likely not inspected at all before it was sent to me (for real, no one can tell me that a piece doing -20 sec/day was checked out). If they can't stick it on a timegrapher, did they inspect it to see if it's real? I certainly am not an expert..
I think they are doing the right thing. Their return policy is here:

Given that, you're not going to get your money back, and you're gonna have to deal with them on hopefully making this right. We are in a pandemic and tons more people are buying watches now, and these watches need servicing. It's going to take some time. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

I've bought my fair share of watches, and before taking off any of the plastic, would want to wind up the watch and let it run for a few days to track the time. If it's off, then I'd send it back and get my money back (as Bob's watches would do). Otherwise you're looking at dealing with the warranty (if any) at that point. Yes, they probably should have done that accuracy check before shipping it (maybe they did, and the courier threw the box around causing an issue), but you also should accept some of the blame by not inspecting the watch before taking off all the plastic and resizing it.

Again, it's a crappy situation, but from their perspective there's no way they will send you a full refund on a sized Rolex, and I'm sure they will do their best to repair it in a timely fashion. Even if you bought it direct from a Rolex AD, if you had it sized then you'll be dealing with the warranty process that way too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why don’t you just send it to Rolex the first time? It sounds like it won’t be any quicker at Bob’s, even if it’s just a regulation. Personally, knowing that it will be done right the first time at Rolex would be more important to me, even if it takes a little longer.
I think they are doing the right thing. Their return policy is here:

Given that, you're not going to get your money back, and you're gonna have to deal with them on hopefully making this right. We are in a pandemic and tons more people are buying watches now, and these watches need servicing. It's going to take some time. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

I've bought my fair share of watches, and before taking off any of the plastic, would want to wind up the watch and let it run for a few days to track the time. If it's off, then I'd send it back and get my money back (as Bob's watches would do). Otherwise you're looking at dealing with the warranty (if any) at that point. Yes, they probably should have done that accuracy check before shipping it (maybe they did, and the courier threw the box around causing an issue), but you also should accept some of the blame by not inspecting the watch before taking off all the plastic and resizing it.

Again, it's a crappy situation, but from their perspective there's no way they will send you a full refund on a sized Rolex, and I'm sure they will do their best to repair it in a timely fashion. Even if you bought it direct from a Rolex AD, if you had it sized then you'll be dealing with the warranty process that way too.
If it does have a active warranty with Rolex, having bob open it up could void that. Just something to consider.
Thanks for the constructive advice guys. I have decided to send it directly to rolex rather then even bother with bob's. they have really done some damage to their brand in my eyes. They are being reasonable and following their policies, but that doesn't mean that their actions have inspired trust.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If it does have a active warranty with Rolex, having bob open it up could void that. Just something to consider.
Magnusson-Moss is supposed to protect from that:

...though I could imagine that if water ingress happens down the line they might be able to blame it on the gasket not being replaced, etc. so from a practical perspective you're not too far off.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've purchased a Rolex from Bobs before with no issues. I'm not disregarding your experience, just saying I think they're a reputable shop and will help you set this right. I'm normally very with the customer in these situations, but this doesn't strike me as negligence on their part.

I would contact Rolex, tell them the entire situation, and see what they say. It could be a simple warranty repair, but the turnaround time is what it is for everyone.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts