WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 324 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Never dealt with Bob's and don't know anything about them... but not sure what they did wrong here. Did you expect them to test/timegraph every watch that passes through their inventory? Also sounds like you knowingly bought a watch with a factory warranty (good idea!)... and that's exactly what it's for. Sucks that you need a warranty repair so soon after purchasing but so it goes. They sent you a prepaid mailer and everything too....

·
Registered
342 Posts
I guess I am more annoyed that they may have sold me a broken watch... and the remediation to them selling me a broken watch is for me to wait several weeks to several months.

My plan at the moment is to send to Bob's tomorrow so they can at least look at it in case it just needs a quick regulation.

If they say it needs ANYTHING more then that I am going to ask for either an exchange (they won't) or to send back to me so I can send to rolex myself. I don't want them conducting an extensive repair on their own seeing how they couldn't be bothered to check if this thing worked in the first place.
Maybe. But how do you/us/Bob's know the watch was defective the day it was delivered.

I had a datejust (not purchased at bobs) where the balance spring somehow got stuck and timing was wildly off. $100 and the local watch maker fixed it. We dont know what the issue is, we dont know when it happened, certainly the issue wasn't discov

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Rolex warranties in the U.S. are not transferable, so I would hesitate to take Bob's out of the loop. Rolex will charge for regulation an/or repair and that is an expensive proposition. "Rolex warranties have recently been extended from 2 to 5 years of coverage, but keep in mind that for Rolex watches sold in USA, the warranties are non-transferable. ..."

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I would send it to Rolex regardless whether they cover the repair under warranty or not.....
(I'm saying it isn't) but Rolex will discern immediately if it is 100% Rolex too....

·
Registered
ORIS Aquis Date
335 Posts
Send to Rolex - you may pay more but hell you've already outlaid $15k so important to get this completely sorted out. You mentioned this was your grail watch so why cut corners :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’ve had a similar situation with something that wasn’t. Watch. More or the story is legally there is zero obligation on there part. Sucks I know. I got stuck paying for the repair (a Porsche so not cheap) that would have otherwise been covered ha fit been bought certified Preowned I was pretty let down since it came from a reputable exotic car dealer and was a trade in.

however it’s the perfect example you kind of get what you pay for. Me saving the 8-10 grand thatthe car was less than buying it at a dealer with the cpo warranty left me in the whole about a grand. I sold the car because I just always had a “bad taste” about it.

that being said I think you’re lucky bob will try and regulate it for you. That’s a good step in the right direction. I am not surprised that anything else isn’t there problem. I was going to buy a datejust from them that seemed like a good price but it bothered me when I explicitly asked some specific questions the questions were always answered with “sold as is”.

·
Registered
80 Posts
All in all I dont think Bobs is being unfair. When I was a kid my mom got a new Cadillac, we picked it up went to eat and had to have the car towed back to the dealership. Things happen even if something is brand new from a dealer. They took care of the transmission and problem solved. A watch is a little different as it going to take more time than a car to have fixed but it sounds like Bobs are doing their part.

·
Registered
140 Posts
While I don’t think Bob’s is being unreasonable, I think you are doing the right thing by sending it to Rolex yourself regardless if they charge you or not. I would suggest seeing if Bob’s would cover the repair cost once you find out what is wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You probably have no other option except to accept the grey market dealer's solution, i.e. regulating the watch. If, as you imply, the grey market dealer bought the watch new from the AD, it is not expected that the grey market dealer would test or regulate
It should have been regulated when it was made ar Rolex.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Before condemning them for sending you a broken watch, remember that unless you went over to them and picked the watch up in person, the watch had to be shipped. Shipping companies are not exactly handling items with kid gloves. The watch probably got bumped around and that knocked it off its COSC specs.

I am pretty sure that the watch was fine on the way out.

Watches plus shipping are not always a perfect mix.

Crap happens sometimes

They are willing to take it back and have it serviced so that it works again. They might be sending it to Rolex so that might make the turn around time a bit more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Bobs is not acting outside of the realm of how I would expect a business to act. I wore it for a month, sized it, etc. They have acted reasonably in their offer to fix it as well.

This thread was intended to ask the experts what they would do in this situation, and what I should expect.

People have overwhelmingly said take it to Rolex, so that is what I am doing tomorrow.

I have spoken to the AD near me and they say it should be under warranty and they are happy to help.

If i were to have a gripe, it's just that no one ever checked to see if this watch was in good running order (including me when i received it).... That being said, bobs has offered to remedy the situation under their in house warranty twice. I am not trying to disparage them. They seem kind and genuinely concerned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to ask on here as my experience is limited with such things as you can likely tell by my post count.

My wife bought me my grail watch, a Rolex Deepsea dweller from bobs in early December for my birthday.

This watch was as new with stickers. MFG year 2018. Definitely never worn when I received it. I was initially pleased with the quality... but found myself resetting the time a lot. I didn't think much of it initially because I was traveling and crossing time zones often. Maybe I didn't set it right? I can be absent minded...

Anyways, I decided to track it with a popular app after resetting it this morning and the results were pretty disheartening. It is losing about 20 seconds a day so far.

Now, the people at bobs have been willing to help and have generated a label to ship it to them to look at. They have stated that they will inspect it and try regulating it, and if that fixes it then I should have it back pretty quickly.

The issue I have is that they indicated that if it is broken in some way, the repair will be several weeks to months. I realize that I have worn this for a month now, but it just doesn't sit right with me that they would take 15k from my family and send something out that was never inspected, and then expect me to shoulder the burden of being without what I paid for.

Am I right in thinking that this second scenario would be wholly unacceptable or am I working myself up over what is probably standard operating procedure? I am trying to temper my expectations, but I am definitely upset that this piece was likely not inspected at all before it was sent to me (for real, no one can tell me that a piece doing -20 sec/day was checked out). If they can't stick it on a timegrapher, did they inspect it to see if it's real? I certainly am not an expert..

To make this more complicated, this piece definitely has a month of wear on it in locations such as the clasp (desk diving) and the new is beginning to wear off the polished bits as I am sure you all could expect after a month of wear.

Thanks for your replies!

I had a 2018 Datejust 41 with the SAME issue! sucks

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Rolex warranties in the U.S. are not transferable, so I would hesitate to take Bob's out of the loop. Rolex will charge for regulation an/or repair and that is an expensive proposition. "Rolex warranties have recently been extended from 2 to 5 years of coverage, but keep in mind that for Rolex watches sold in USA, the warranties are non-transferable. ..."
I'm not sure how they police that, tbh.

Apparently they ask for bill of sale.

·
Registered
Vintage Rolex Explorer II, Breitling Super Avenger 2, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, Rolex Sub Bluesy
62 Posts
Hopefully it’s something insignificant and lite that Bob’s in house people can take care of. If they don’t have an in house person, they surely have relationships with matchmakers on speed dial.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would be interested in hearing your explanation. If Bob’s is gray market, then he bought it from an AD. It would be new unless someone at Bob’s wore it. Yes?

Or is everything at Jomashop “used” as well?
Bob's as Jomashop sell also used watches..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not terribly helpful, but if I was dropping 15k on a watch I would never buy it anywhere other than an AD. I hope it gets fixed soon. It is a complete bummer to have a watch gone for 6 weeks or more.
If he can't wait few months for repairing the watch I am sure he won't wait few years to get the call from the AD

21 - 40 of 324 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.