WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have noticed that a lot of people who are into watches also seem to be into photography as well. Maybe it's because they want to showcase their watches in the best way possible???? IDK just a guess :-!

·
Sinn Moderator
9,697 Posts
You have an interesting supposition. I had not thought of it, but you just may be onto something. I know that I like both watches and photography and enjoy taking pics of my watches.

How about showing us some pics of some of your watches.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I think it makes sense. I became interested in Photography after being a WIS.
It is nice to better photograph watches, but being able to better photograph anything is nice.
Right now I am waiting on a 50mm f/1.1 lens for that sweet Bokeh effect.

Reactions: Vakane

·
Registered
145 Posts
I started with being into photography before being into watches which stemmed from my Dad’s photography love.

For me it’s in the composition of a perfect image. Clearly, stuff I post here isn’t perfect, and rarely anything else is either. But it’s the pursuit of perfection that I’m constantly chasing.

Which probably ties into great watch making. There are many great watchmakers that produce beautiful timepieces. You can see their efforts to produce perfection. You can see their efforts to “compose” the perfect watch where the sum of all the parts have a meaning beyond just the individual components.

Probably a little deeper than you were looking for, but I guess I just like a nice watch and happen to like photography too.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Makes sense. Both are complex machines. Require accuracy and amazing craftsmanship. Both are highly visual too, photos because, well, photos, not necessarily the camera itself. And watches because we all love looking at them haha

·
Registered
186 Posts
Photography seems to relax a lot of people! I picked it up for fun and have been becoming addicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
Has more to do with confirmation bias as well as socio economic class.
People who are into watches tend to have a bit more disposable income than average.

I’ve also seen plenty of photographers who aren’t into watches.

Reactions: Apollo83

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just joined. Watch person. Photography person.

Also, it seems to me that mechanical watch lovers go for vintage looking cameras, if not full-retro “real-thing” darkroom photography. Makes sense, too.

Alas I have never experienced dark room photography. Perhaps there will be a VR game in the future...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I must say i asked myself the same question few months earlier. Now i am not sure do i need new watch or new lens... :). There is connection. As Dangdep said, as objects both are visual. One deference is that if you are not watchmaker as photographer you can create and make closer connection with your favorite watch. On the other hand i remember finishing first watch and watching it tic tac... Beautiful moment.. Also, it is about details. I think i am addicted to them overall.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have thought of having a wall for prints of my past watches to memorialize all the neat pieces I have had over the years. I am definitely into photography as well as watches and also reading about horology.

O-MD E-M1 with the 40-150 f2.8 is an amazing set up for watch photos

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
GolferKid:
Hey!! Slow yer roll.
I like watches, and have for 65 years +
But as a photo bug I'm a good X traindriver.
My dad was a great photographer. Owned a
Leica, Voightlander Bess and a Burk & James
4 X 5 Press camera. Covered local sports events

This is the reason I never post pics of watches.
Even my grails.

X Traindriver Art

·
Registered
623 Posts
Photographers are often gear heads as well. Gear heads are often into mechanics and how things work. These people are or will inevitably be watch people as well. Watches are a miniature representation of many hobbies that involve gear and mechanics, so I'm not too surprised :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’ve beeb wondering this exact thing! I’ve had an interest in photography for a number of years, but never really got into it much. That is until I started getting into watches a few years ago. Nothing like developing two expensive hobbies at the same time! This thread is kind of reassuring though because I thought I was kind of out on my own a bit, that I was somehow cheating on my watches with my photography!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would love to be a better photographer. If for nothing else so I can take great photos of my watches like the ones I see posted. I can never seem to take the perfect pic of watches. Either the lighting is off, the watches aren't in perfect focus, etc.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've been looking, is there a thread with watch photography tips?
I am a reasonable nature and architecture photographer, but when it comes to people and watches, my good shots are always luck. How do you take a good wrist shot?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts