WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread about rotten luck with defective watches. The latest was a white Sistem51 that would stop every 1-3 hours. This stoppage was impervious to winding, but when I re-set the time, it would start running again... for another 1-3 hours, then the cycle would repeat.

All of this happened within 24 hours of taking it out of the box and hand-winding + setting it for the first time. So I sent it back to Swatch right away to be exchanged.

At the same time I bought the white one I also bought a red one. It seemed fine... Until today, and now it's exhibiting the same symptoms! In fact, at one point, it even stopped running as I was hand-winding it.

I refuse to believe I received two identically defective watches in a row. Is there a "trick" to the Sistem51? Do they only work reliably if they are worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I don't know how much you know about these and what, if any, instructions they came with but you do know they handwind in reverse to usual watches? I assume you know this though?

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I have a blue one. Works fine. And like the above poster said, make sure to wind in reverse. I made that mistake early on as well.

"He's just a witness"

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have no problems with my black Sistem 51. If the warranty covers it i should not make a big deal out of it, IMO it's just bad luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The winding direction took me by surprise at first. Not just because it's the opposite of most watches, but also because it doesn't sound "right" when wound correctly. This hasn't been the case, unfortunately, for either watch.

As I said, the white one is on its way back to be exchanged. I'm giving the red one one more try. I wound it well last night and it was still running correctly today. I would it some more this morning; we'll see how it's doing when I get home from work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured it out - it was my watch winder. Not only does this watch manually wind "backwards." The rotor also winds in the opposite direction of other applications of the Powermatic-80 movement (e.g. Tissot), so it's CW instead of CCW.

Also, I think you actually UNwind the watch if you turn either the crown or the rotor the wrong way.

I guess this watch has an "upside down" Powermatic-80 movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts