WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

261 - 280 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think Omega are smart to do it non-limited. They will make as much as possible to keep prices steady, but ultimately it will be discontinued (until the 55th anniversary?) and if they have managed the supply/demand well, the prices should be steady with some small appreciation in the years ahead.

Just makes good business sense to me, and minimises the scalping/grey dealers so they keep as much of the profit as possible.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
This will result in them being about 50% MSRP in the used market in 2-3 years like every other Omega Speedmaster/Seamaster.
Please feel free to point me in the direction of where I can get a 3 year old Speedmaster for half of todays retail price.
You are either talking out of your arse or you are just trolling. Most probably both.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Please feel free to point me in the direction of where I can get a 3 year old Speedmaster for half of todays retail price.
You are either talking out of your arse or you are just trolling. Most probably both.
Found a 2018 311.30.42.30.01.006 for $3350 with about a 2 min search. 52.7% but fairly close for a ballpark estimate. Dark Side of the Moon Speedmasters sell in that same 52-50% off MSRP (to name a few).

Maybe it's a bit closer to 55% MSRP, but that's the most I would pay for a 3 year old Omega.

I guess what I'm saying is that I believe people are buying this watch on speculation, believing the price will follow what has happened with previous limited production models. As this isn't a limited production model, I can see the market falling apart on it.

Not trolling, just giving my 2 cent opinion.

·
Premium Member
23,065 Posts
My gut tells me they will make as many of these as the market demands as it's not a limited edition model. This will result in them being about 50% MSRP in the used market in 2-3 years like every other Omega Speedmaster/Seamaster. Those buying this on speculation may make a small profit if resold in the first 12-18 months. But once supply matches demand the market will fall apart and we'll see a flood of these for sale with ever decreasing prices.
You got a point there about it not being a limited edition unlike the Snoopy from 5 years ago. That Snoopy has shot up in value whilst Buzz’s butt has devalued. Maybe I should wait and see or sit this one out.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Hi Mikii; sad to read this. Sad to read that an AD that apparently you know quite well ask you for full deposit, this is of course unacceptable, I am not sure this ugly policy is supported by Bienne...... And sad to see that eventually you decide to pass on this 13 50th......There is obviously quite a lot of disappointing facts on this piece (not LE, no bracelet, no deployment buckle, no lume on the Snoopy second subdial as done on the 13 45th....) but it is a piece to own, definitely because production will of course not last forever, I would guess 3 years. So to me for total of max 2000 pieces.

Cheers, Phil.
Thanks Phil! Indeed it is disappointing, I am shocked the boutique would be trying to shore-up cashflow like this. Unfortunately for me, the hopes of the Snoopy and the generally superior boutique experience (customer service) was all that had me hanging on to Omega as a fan boy. Now I am afraid I will stick to Rolex and other brands after this fiasco, which is fine by me. Imagine that. Normally it is the other way around (bad Rolex customer service sending people to Omega!). I'd maybe consider the odd Omega here or there on the secondary market, but to me there is no point going through my Boutique now after being misled. Hope you get yours in a timely manner and without games! I'm still looking forward to enjoying this piece vicariously via other collectors on this forum!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Found a 2018 311.30.42.30.01.006 for $3350 with about a 2 min search. 52.7% but fairly close for a ballpark estimate. Dark Side of the Moon Speedmasters sell in that same 52-50% off MSRP (to name a few).

Maybe it's a bit closer to 55% MSRP, but that's the most I would pay for a 3 year old Omega.

I guess what I'm saying is that I believe people are buying this watch on speculation, believing the price will follow what has happened with previous limited production models. As this isn't a limited production model, I can see the market falling apart on it.

The relevant comparison here would be to the Apollo 8, which isn't "numbered" but has sequestered/limited production and has mostly kept value. In all my discussions it seems production number speculation from Switzerland, according to my info, was bench marked against that model. That is a model which you can get, but will wait quite a while for, and has kept value. It hasn't gained because there also isn't a huge market waiting for it, but with this one there will be. People will always want to skip the line. Either way, it won't be a 50% drop on this one. I still think it will do well on the resale (at least holding value, if not appreciating so to skip long waits). At the end of the day I don't think it will do what modern Rolex's have done, only because if you do pay up you are "guaranteed" a piece. With Rolex, there is never a guarantee. You just hope and pray you are "offered" what you want, and in the meantime buy up anything that is offered to you. I don't think Omega will ever reach that degree of market segmentation, even if this watch out performs other Omega models.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Thanks Phil! Indeed it is disappointing, I am shocked the boutique would be trying to shore-up cashflow like this. Unfortunately for me, the hopes of the Snoopy and the generally superior boutique experience (customer service) was all that had me hanging on to Omega as a fan boy. Now I am afraid I will stick to Rolex and other brands after this fiasco. Imagine that. Normally it is the other way around (bad Rolex customer service sending people to Omega!). Hope you get yours in a timely manner and without games.
Good luck getting on the wait list for a Rolex sub / deep-sea etc, although I agree your Omega experience has been very poor.

The Sydney OB wanted a 20% deposit for Snoopy, no more to pay until the watch comes in. Considering the demand they've had I thought this was pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the all the highly accurate advance info and good luck on the Rolex forum!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Good luck getting on the wait list for a Rolex sub / deep-sea etc, although I agree your Omega experience has been very poor.

The Sydney OB wanted a 20% deposit for Snoopy, no more to pay until the watch comes in. Considering the demand they've had I thought this was pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the all the highly accurate advance info and good luck on the Rolex forum!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I don't disagree! Luckily for now I have the modern Rolex I'm keen on (BLRO and Hulk), but yes it is an absolute struggle to get what you want from the crown which is also why I think Omega will not ultimately replicate what Rolex has built for themselves recently (as far as demand on the secondary market, and massive year-on-year growth in preowned prices).

20% is reasonable. I was happy to keep my deposit of $5k at my boutique, but not willing to fork over $10k and wait a year on "maybes". As I noted earlier in this thread, I was offered (prior to this) the opportunity to "bump myself up the list" by buying a precious metal piece that I had expressed interest in (and may still buy one day, although now I will only consider preowned which is ultimately good because it will help my wallet). I would not be surprised if my "change in required deposit" was the product of somewhat pushy sales tactics trying to get me to commit to that PM piece, but either way I don't think I loved this Snoopy as much as the last so overall this is probably the right move. I'm happy someone who wants it more than me will get it sooner this way.

Despite my saltiness, I think I'll always be around on the Omega subforum and follow the brand as it was the gateway brand that got me hooked on watches (like so many of us!). I also keenly await a reissue of the 2254.

Cheers mate.

Reactions: Titan II

·
Registered
140 Posts
I doubt that this edition will suffer from high depreciation, if you consider the prices of snoopy 1 and Snoopy 2 I can see this watch sit somewhere in the middle... A limited edition release is not a must for any price appreciation it is popularity, availability, and uniqueness and OMEGA already has 2 out of 3 only availability is yet to be determined.

Snoopy is OMEGA's Daytona and after the high success of Snoopy 2 I don't think that OMEGA will do anything stupid to hurt the branding and screw their next snoopy editions...

Reactions: Igorek

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

Link to that cheap Speedy please. I paid $2750 for mine in 2017 but that is a pretty good deal in late 2020.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
anyone know when deliveries will start on this Snoopy.. I was told mid Oct but I think that may be false.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Link to that cheap Speedy please. I paid $2750 for mine in 2017 but that is a pretty good deal in late 2020.
Sorry, you can do this yourself. Set a sale notification on watchrecon and one will pop up for a good deal. Many will have high asking prices but they don't sell. I found one for the price listed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
295 Posts
You got a point there about it not being a limited edition unlike the Snoopy from 5 years ago. That Snoopy has shot up in value whilst Buzz’s butt has devalued. Maybe I should wait and see or sit this one out.
Exactly. You should buy this (and any other watch) because you like it and will wear it, not for speculation. Trying to play the speculation game on a non limited edition Omega will most likely be a losing (or non-money making) "investment". I would invest $10k in something else (non-watch related) and just buy a watch that I enjoy.

Keep in mind, I'm saying if you love this watch buy it! But don't deny others from having it for the off-chance you'll turn $9500 into $9700 in 18 months. That's a terrible investment, and with the real possibility you'll be forced to sell it for a loss when all the speculators flood the market.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mikii, I guess it is bad luck, because I don't think it is Omega policy to treat customers this way; the Official Dealer I used to get all my Omega pieces (UAE) does not behave like that, it is weird and disappointing, I am sure the Head Quarters in Swiss are not aware and supporting such practice. In Istanbul as well, Boutiques are not practicing such game.
Too bad to change direction in your passion for such a bad reason.
Cheers, Phil.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Sorry, you can do this yourself. Set a sale notification on watchrecon and one will pop up for a good deal. Many will have high asking prices but they don't sell. I found one for the price listed.

Good luck!
Thanks I have one for 2254.50 but never thought about new Speedmasters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This watch makes me want to get my first Speedy and blue watch, now fingers crossed I can actually get one at an AD!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I called my AD and asked to be put on the list. No deposit required. Now, IF/WHEN they get any--that's a different question.

261 - 280 of 353 Posts