WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've admired Glycine products for years but just purchased my first Airman this week as an impulse purchase. I was wondering what people have thought about the direction Glycine has taken since the Invicta acquisition. Have any of the initial fears of big, ugly design, inferior internal parts, or crazy branding or distribution practices been borne out? I got a crazy-good deal on a double twelve this week and am still waiting for delivery. It appears to be a current production version with a Sellita SW200 movement. No apparent worries here...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah, but as had previously been pointed out in another thread in this forum, glycine has a LONG history of releasing some quite hideous designs (worse than the example above). So again, nothing new or invicta specific here AFAIC.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, that watch gives me a pain in the pit of my stomach...

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Recently there is a search going on from Invicta side, kind of feedback interviews with new and seasoned Glycine enthusiasts, obviously they are also curious how we perceive the year.
I must say there was nothing surprising, neither good or bad within the year. The existing models have been diversified with color and case material.
I think the only models manufactured after the acquirement are those open heart and moon-phase Combat models. Some more PR is going on in the market which is good. Some models were really priced at some online retailers at very reasonable rates.With all this, my take is they really left Glycine alone and gave them a shoulder in their move of inventory and marketing.
I guess their sales volume has increased, that is also what we see in the forum here, some new faces...
We should see somethings moving the coming year.

·
Registered
484 Posts
With more Airman models fitted with Sellita movement instead of ETA without Glycine state as such clearly (they hide behind so call GL***), I start see the sky is coming down.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
The forum Glycine hype has died right down since the takeover ive noticed..
Much less talk and interest in them now.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
With more Airman models fitted with Sellita movement instead of ETA without Glycine state as such clearly (they hide behind so call GL***), I start see the sky is coming down.

Just my two cents
That part of the sky start coming down before Invicta. It was Stephan Lack's idea to brand the movements GL ( Glycine ) due to uncertainty from ETA.I won't consider ticking Sellita movements in Glycines as a problem unless they advertise it otherwise. Sellita was a sub-contractor of ETA for a long time and did in the recent past some increase in their capacity to fill the gap of ETA shrinkage in the market.

There was a big opportunity missed when DKSH and Stephan Lack owned the company, while DKSH also owned Maurice Lacroix. DKSH decided to invest in ML and developed unnecessary in-house movements trying to lift up MLs brand recognition and quality to a segment where other brands punch heavier.This caused them low yielded ROI and finally they decided to sell both companies ML and Glycine. If that lift-up operation would have been done to Glycine, the brand has the potential to compete in 4-6K USD range with those added values. But they tried to invent a car around the wheel rather than using a ready chassis laying there.

It's just sad to see so many ownership changes in the last 6 years. Glycine had 4 owners from 1914 to 2011, last 6 years they changed 3 ownerships...causing lost focus I think.

Let's see what Invicta will opt for.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The Sellita thing is pure marketing and conjecture. Social engineering 101. Chances are most of the "GL" movements Glycine has been using throughout history were final assembled by Sellita anyway. Especially 2824 equipped watches.

Sellita has put together so many "authentic" ETA 2824s they probably know how better than most @ Swatch. Their movements are smooth, accurate, and quality. If I can get Glycines 50% cheaper with a Sellita over the ETA, sign me up!

·
Registered
201 Posts
So what are the movements in the Airmen and Combat Sub now? I'm new to Glycine but the watch for all intents and purposes is well built, aesthetically pleasing and amazingly priced.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
So what are the movements in the Airmen and Clumsy Sub now? I'm new to Glycine but the watch for all intents and purposes is well built, aesthetically pleasing and amazingly priced.

Sellita and ETA. SW330-1 and 2893-2 for GMT/Purist. The Sub probably switched fully to the Sellita SW200 now, with maybe some leftover ETA 2824 here & there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
In my opinion thanks to the "downgrade" of the brand it's now more popular than ever, prices are great and the watches remain as good as before. I just hope next basel they show some new Airmans with 38-40mm cases without crown for those of us with small wrists as well as some new lines.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what are the movements in the Airmen and Combat Sub now? I'm new to Glycine but the watch for all intents and purposes is well built, aesthetically pleasing and amazingly priced.

Both of my recent Glycine purchases - an Airman Double Twelve and an F104 both have the Sellita SW200. I don't know if it's in my head, but the SW200 seems to be more accurate than my similarly equipped 2824 and 2836 watches. Like many, I'm enjoying the "fire sale" pricing and buying some great watches that I'd not have been able to afford otherwise.

Reactions: fish70

·
Registered
201 Posts
Both of my recent Glycine purchases - an Airman Double Twelve and an F104 both have the Sellita SW200. I don't know if it's in my head, but the SW200 seems to be more accurate than my similarly equipped 2824 and 2836 watches. Like many, I'm enjoying the "fire sale" pricing and buying some great watches that I'd not have been able to afford otherwise.
I may get an airman in the new year if these great prices continue. However, the Seiko Alpinist is calling my name. My wife calls it the poker table watch and doesn't understand the obsession.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Airman should arrive any day and I look forward to putting it’s Sellita up against both an ETA & Miyota for accuracy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The only minor gripe is that the 55 mark isn't aligned with the 23. I don't want to send it back but noticing it does bother me a little.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It looks good to me, I don’t see it.
Looks perfectly symmetrical with the 13 under the 1pm indice. Just as the the “3” within the 13 is centered to the indice, so is the “2” within the 23 centered to its respective indice. And this is coming from somebody who is usually ridiculously OCD about these sort of things, lol!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts