WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your position on date windows placed between the 4 and 5 o'clock markers/numerals on a watch dial?

I like it there because it doesn't I interfere with the 3 o''clock marker/numeral.

When I 1st encountered half-past-four date windows, I didn't think I'd care for them. Now that I've seen their impact, I prefer them...not so much that they are deal makers or breakers, but all other things being equal, I had rather their unobtrusiveness.

Registered
I'm a fan, although I don't own any. Both of my non-digital date displays are a little unusual:

Retrograde

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

8 o'clock (with 3 dates displayed at a time)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
I prefer the date at six, and even at 12 depending on the execution (which should either be discreet or a two-window BIG date). I don't mind a date at 4:30, nor do I mind the traditional date at three. A date at nine bothers me for some reason, but I can't say why? Maybe your watch advisor has an opinion on that. ;)

Not expecting many pictures on this thread, but here are a couple examples of the dates at six and at 12 that I liked (and man! Do I wish I had that brown dial Movado back!)

Registered
I don't mind the 4:30 location if the date reads horizontally.

I really don't like it when the date is angled 45 degrees because they just took a regular date wheel that was horizontal at 3:00 and cut the viewing window in a different location on the face.

Its especially unacceptable when its an expensive watch like a Blancpain Bathyscaphe. Since other brands costing a fraction of that were able to pull it off, you'd think for 10 grand they could have reprinted the date wheel to be horizontal at 4:30.

Registered
The date on watches and their display is one of the more contentious issues in watches. The comments on Hodinkee have taught us that if nothing else. I have quite a few date treatments and my favorite is a grand date at 12. In the end, I am not very concerned by the date placement however, its integration into the design is important. Of the single date wheel dates my brain expects the date to be at 3 o'clock so from a practical perspective that works best for me. From an integration standpoint, I think I prefer the date at 6 which usually is in some manner of balance with the brand's logo which is generally at 12.

Reactions: 41Mets and MDNoobie

Registered
I generally don't mind date windows in funky places, so anywhere beyond 3 is fine by me. But @12 is just too far out there for my brain to process.

But given the choice, no date for me please.

Registered
I prefer the date at 6:00, for symmetry. I typically do not like the window placed at 4:30, but I own the watch below and absolutely love it.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

I suppose it just depends on how well it's integrated into the overall design of the watch (as others have mentioned).

Registered
I'm OK with them if they are actually at 4:30. Many are positioned at 4:40, crowding the 5 o'clock index, which looks pretty bad. Helson Shark Diver, for example.

Registered
Its especially unacceptable when its an expensive watch like a Blancpain Bathyscaphe. Since other brands costing a fraction of that were able to pull it off, you'd think for 10 grand they could have reprinted the date wheel to be horizontal at 4:30.
It is a design choice for most since it displays the date at the same angle as the markers, pretty typical for the Swiss and Japanese, where the Germans are more likely to turn them to display parallel to the center line of the dial. Some find that a little jarring and less incongruous. It also usually results in a smaller date pulled closer to the centerline of the movement which some are not enthusiastic about.

It is like Patek almost always uses white date wheels with black numbers no matter what the dial color, it is a choice.

Reactions: MDNoobie

Registered

I really don't like it when the date is angled 45 degrees because they just took a regular date wheel that was horizontal at 3:00 and cut the viewing window in a different location on the face.

Reprinting the numerals so they are vertical results in a smaller date window, which in turn makes it harder to read. Compare the size of the date window and font on a Sinn 556A or Bell&Ross, which do re-orient their date wheel font to make it vertical, to a watch where they don't like a Sinn 856 or the Bathyscaphe. The font size is significantly larger when they don't re-orient it.

I have a pair of chronos with 4 o'clock date windows. One is canted, the other reprinted so that the numerals are vertical. The canted one has characters ~.09" (2.3mm) tall while the one that was reprinted to be vertical is only ~.065" (1.7 mm).

Registered
Reprinting the numerals so they are vertical results in a smaller date window, which in turn makes it harder to read. Compare the size of the date window and font on a Sinn 556A or Bell&Ross, which do re-orient their date wheel font to make it vertical, to a watch where they don't like a Sinn 856 or the Bathyscaphe. The font size is significantly larger when they don't re-orient it.
true, but then there's the Glash眉tte Original seaq panoramic date that doesn't compromise on the size of the date window, and has larger, easier to read digits than the Bathyscaphe at about the same price point.

the question originally asked was how do you feel about 4:30 date windows, regardless of font size I don't like them if they're tilted 45 degrees.

Registered
For what it's worth, my favorite non-traditional date placement is on this JLC Reverso. It's a Hometime version with a big date window at 11. Just the kind of quirkiness that makes me love JLC.

(Not my pic - from StockX)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Read Only

I'm in complete agreement - there are a half dozen watches I'd own if the date wasn't at 45 degrees. On the plus side, it does keep my costs down...

Registered
true, but then there's the Glash眉tte Original seaq panoramic date that doesn't compromise on the size of the date window, and has larger, easier to read digits than the Bathyscaphe at about the same price point.

the question originally asked was how do you feel about 4:30 date windows, regardless of font size I don't like them if they're tilted 45 degrees.
GO's implementation all but eliminates the 4 o'clock index. All indices on the Blanpain are intact.

Registered
That is a double date wheel aka Grande Date. Blancpain uses them on quite a few models. That said I think they look out of place on a diver, much too large and putting them at 4:30 upsets the natural balance of the dial. In the end, it is a choice and IMO most every treatment of date is a compromise to the aesthetics of the dial.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts