WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corny thread title, I know, please forgive me :-d

Anyway, it is finally past the prototype stage and available for purchase at Steinhart Timepieces, the Aviation:

This new Steinhart shares the same case as the Le Mans GT, that was introduced last year. 44mm without crown and 24mm lugs, which is something that will make a lot of strap-o-holics, including myself, very happy. That is why a whole bunch of new 24mm straps will also be available from Steinhart, including the newly designed dual layer straps you can see in the pictures, as well as finally a very hefty steel bracelet option.

The dial has two layers. The outer ring with the minute indices sits about one milimeter above the inner dial. While it incorporates many different elements from avionic cockpit instruments, the numbers are Steinhart specific. A variant of this typeface was already used for the Triton, which also features the '03' and '09'.
The hand's design is very common in altimeters and gives the watch yet another interesting avionic look away from other cockpit instrument watches, which usually simply mimic cockpit clocks. But that's just MHO.

Right now two versions of the Aviation are available from Steinhart, the silver stainless steel version as seen in the pics as well as a black, PVD-coated version. These models feature the Unitas 6498 with cotes de geneve finish and blued screws that can be viewed thorough the mineral glass case back. The front crystal is a slightly domed sapphire with two inner layers of anti-reflective coating.

Within the next few weeks a so-called basic two-hands version in silver with a solid case back and non-decorated Unitas 6497 wil also be available. Due to the lack of a seconds hand the dial will be slightly different, featuring a fourth hour indice, the '06'. Very nice and clean, plus it will be the least expensive of the range at less than 400 Euro.

To top this range off, a black PVD-coated variant with orange hands and indices will also follow soon. A black PVD-coated bracelet will be offered as an extra. The highlight of this version though will be the Unitas 6498 with cotes de geneve finish which will also features a black PVD-coating.

Here again the two versions that are available now:

Stainless steel bracelet option b-)

I will post more pictures here as soon as I have them.

Hope you like the watch :-!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
They do look very nice indeed!

I was thinking about the Debfaure Csar, but that's great news that Steinhart are doing them now :-!

The pvd is my first choice :-d

Do you know if the 24mm straps use tubes also?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The screws used for the Aviation's lugs are like tubes themselves, no need for extra tubes. The system itself, using hexagonal screws (a tool is included), is one of the best and easiest I've come across! Especially since it's extremely difficult to scratch the case, as opposed to having to use a sharp-edged screw driver or a tool for changing spring-bars.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The screws used for the Aviation's lugs are like tubes themselves, no need for extra tubes. The system itself, using hexagonal screws (a tool is included), is one of the best and easiest I've come across! Especially since it's extremely difficult to scratch the case, as opposed to having to use a sharp-edged screw driver or a tool for changing spring-bars.
Cool! Thanks for the info. :-!

Looking forward to the PVD version!

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
:think:................Interesting.

Hmmmm, not sure about it. I like the case for sure just not sold yet on the dial.

Looking forward to seeing the new straps though ;-)

Thanks for posting Triton :-!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Fantastic design! I'll get one of these, definitely.

How "big" is this watch? It looks massive... Is it bigger/thicker than the Triton?

(by the way, the new Steinhart logo looks great!)

·
Registered
780 Posts
That's very nice....I'm going to have to think about one of these. They are different enough from my Poljot Aviator that I may need to add one to my collection...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some more pics, which, btw, where taken by Manfred H., a very talented friend of mine. Enjoy!

The blue hue on the dial in pic #2 is caused by the double AR-coating. The dial only comes in black.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
OK, changed my mind. The stainless steel Aviation on the marone strap looks the business.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi Simon,

how could I miss this thread? Awesome watches and great pictures! It will be difficult to decide, which to buy...will prob. end up buying two, anway :)!

I love them!

all the best

Jan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Really like it and would be tempted with the steel strap option... but without a date function, it has to be a no :-(

G

·
The lume picture makes me hesitating. Is it only me or does the "60", triangle, and the "12" does not line up correctly. Same with the indices at 1 and 2 o`clock. :think:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The lume picture makes me hesitating. Is it only me or does the "60", triangle, and the "12" does not line up correctly. Same with the indices at 1 and 2 o`clock.
They are not on the same level. The dial has 2 layers (the minutes layer is 1mm above the base dial). Only a 100% front picture will show them perfectly aligned. Cheers!

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
The lume picture makes me hesitating. Is it only me or does the "60", triangle, and the "12" does not line up correctly. Same with the indices at 1 and 2 o`clock. :think:
Agree with Zarith. ;-)

Have a look at the first pic in this thread Mike & you will see the same occurrance but in reverse. When you see a head on pic then you will see they are all perfectly aligned.

Hesitate no more Mike.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Have a look at this Mike. This is a pic of the Debaufre CSAR (as seen on the Debaufre site) which is the same watch as the Steinhart Aviation, just a different name. Whilst not 100% front on it is close enough & shows that there is no discrepancy between indicies or number markers not aligning.

I am quite sure Steinhart (Debaufre) wouldn't put a watch to market with such obvious problems as you mention. As it is, the discrepancies or allusions seen in the pics are nothing more than camera angles & the height difference between the minute layer & base dial that give an impression of miss-alignment. :-!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts