WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read this forum almost daily for six months or so now, absorbing Omega (and other luxury watch) related information. I'm impressed with your knowledge and willingness to share it, even to newbies like me. For me, this is the one and only watch forum.

You seem a friendly lot and can be quite a laugh :-d. Great personalities, too (like QT from Nigeria ;-)). I think I'll fit in just fine, especially after I get my first Omega (and take the wrist shots to not get frowned upon)..

So, without further ado, let me introduce myself. I'm a computer science student in the Helsinki University. That's in Finland (..is winland, ha!), as you should well know ;-). I'm only twenty years old (not old, really ;-)), so please don't be too harsh on me. I'm still learning about life and all, you know. But then again, I'm probably not as stubborn as some of you old geezers, and should be able to give some new insight into some matters ;-). I hope no one is offended by my (poor?) attempts at humor. Just trying (too hard) to contribute to the great atmosphere of this forum.

I haven't worn a watch for years, and my last (and only) watch was a 20 EUR quarz. Now I have a burning desire to get a watch! And why not make it a luxury watch while I'm at it? It's just as good a purchase now as when I'll be rich ;-). And no, this is not some impulsive decision that I would regret later. I've been readying myself to pull the trigger for some time now.

So why Omega? Well, let's just say that the Seamaster Planet Ocean is the nicest looking watch I've ever seen. And I can just afford to buy one without getting bankrupt.. The brand seems prestigious enough to fit my quality stantards. Oh, and their COSC certified chronometers keep a good time, too. Or maybe I'm just another victim of the Omega Mania?

The beginning of an euphoric ownership of an Omega is nigh! I have the money ready, so it's just a matter of deciding the right place to buy. First I should visit a local watch dealer to see if the 45,5mm PO (on rubber strap) is too big for my slim wrists. Don't be afraid, though, I won't start another 42mm Vs. 45,5mm thread. I can make decisions myself! |>.

Considering the weak US Dollar, would I be best off ordering the watch from the states? Does the FAD deliver to Finland? How much will the delivery, VAT and customs be? Also, it would be nice to know what is the MSRP of the PO in Finland. I'd better get ready for some serious bargaining b-)

BTW what is the "correct" way to measure the girth of one's wrist? Thin, thick of flat (strap-like) thread? How tight should it be?

I'll be joining the POO Club soon, so be ready! :) I'll provide you the wrist shots ASAP after the delivery. However, those will be low quality pictures, since the only "camera" I own is my HTC Kaiser PDA :think:. I'll take some better pictures when I'll get hold of my parents' Canon EOS 350D later in the summer.

OMG it took me over two hours to write this post :-(. Practice, practice..

And if anybody's wondering, I'll add an avatar picture and a signature later (after "the delivery", that is).

·
Banned
3,251 Posts
Well it's about damn time! ;-) Welcome to crew and glad you are going with a PO. |> A way to measure your wrist is to go around it with string and line it up against a ruler. Let us know how it goes.

~JB

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
From shadow to light. Welcome to the madness!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Greetings and welcome!

Two hours to write that? Even I (and they'll tell you here just how OCD I am) do posts in a fraction of that time But of course, English is my native language, though most wouldn't realize it! :roll:

Your restraint has to be admired. How a person can read this forum for 6 months without chiming in is testimony to your restraint or indicates that you are half dead! :-d

Give us a name, and ante up the price of admission to this cult. Omega is prestigious enough for anyone.

Again, welcome from the acknowledged geezer of the board!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Welcome aboard, youngster. Do show us some quirks so we can pick on you. We love new meat. ;-) Hope you get that PO soon. Which color combination will you be getting?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I've read this forum almost daily for six months or so now, absorbing Omega (and other luxury watch) related information. I'm impressed with your knowledge and willingness to share it, even to newbies like me. For me, this is the one and only watch forum.
We like brown nosing around here
You seem a friendly lot and can be quite a laugh :-d. Great personalities, too (like QT from Nigeria ;-)). I think I'll fit in just fine, especially after I get my first Omega (and take the wrist shots to not get frowned upon)..
That's NORTHERN Nigeria
So, without further ado, let me introduce myself. I'm a computer science student in the Helsinki University. That's in Finland (..is winland, ha!), as you should well know ;-). I'm only twenty years old (not old, really ;-)), so please don't be too harsh on me. I'm still learning about life and all, you know. But then again, I'm probably not as stubborn as some of you old geezers, and should be able to give some new insight into some matters ;-). I hope no one is offended by my (poor?) attempts at humor. Just trying (too hard) to contribute to the great atmosphere of this forum
Subborn, old, geezers?? you must be thinking of Beamon. He's not stubborn
I haven't worn a watch for years, and my last (and only) watch was a 20 EUR quarz. Now I have a burning desire to get a watch! And why not make it a luxury watch while I'm at it? It's just as good a purchase now as when I'll be rich ;-). And no, this is not some impulsive decision that I would regret later. I've been readying myself to pull the trigger for some time now.
no trigger talk allowed here, Reindeer Boy

So why Omega? Well, let's just say that the Seamaster Planet Ocean is the nicest looking watch I've ever seen. And I can just afford to buy one without getting bankrupt.. The brand seems prestigious enough to fit my quality stantards. Oh, and their COSC certified chronometers keep a good time, too. Or maybe I'm just another victim of the Omega Mania?
Why? because you have good taste

The beginning of an euphoric ownership of an Omega is nigh! I have the money ready, so it's just a matter of deciding the right place to buy. First I should visit a local watch dealer to see if the 45,5mm PO (on rubber strap) is too big for my slim wrists. Don't be afraid, though, I won't start another 42mm Vs. 45,5mm thread. I can make decisions myself! |>.
Good , make up your own mind

Considering the weak US Dollar, would I be best off ordering the watch from the states? Does the FAD deliver to Finland? How much will the delivery, VAT and customs be? Also, it would be nice to know what is the MSRP of the PO in Finland. I'd better get ready for some serious bargaining b-)
Don't Know

BTW what is the "correct" way to measure the girth of one's wrist? Thin, thick of flat (strap-like) thread? How tight should it be?
tape measure

I'll be joining the POO Club soon, so be ready! :) I'll provide you the wrist shots ASAP after the delivery. However, those will be low quality pictures, since the only "camera" I own is my HTC Kaiser PDA :think:. I'll take some better pictures when I'll get hold of my parents' Canon EOS 350D later in the summer.
we're waiting

OMG it took me over two hours to write this post :-(. Practice, practice..
Bond gives lessons

And if anybody's wondering, I'll add an avatar picture and a signature later (after "the delivery", that is).

WELCOME, Don

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
American Baseball

well...if you were a baseball player here in the States, I'd say you were batting 3 for 3 ( 1.000) as in you...

1. picked a great brand

2. picked a great watch

3. picked a great forum

cheers and welcome:-!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it's about damn time! ;-) Welcome to crew and glad you are going with a PO. |> A way to measure your wrist is to go around it with string and line it up against a ruler. Let us know how it goes.

~JB
Hmm.. My left wrist measured a measly 15,5cm ~ 6.1 inch. :)

Greetings and welcome!

Two hours to write that? Even I (and they'll tell you here just how OCD I am) do posts in a fraction of that time But of course, English is my native language, though most wouldn't realize it! :roll:

Your restraint has to be admired. How a person can read this forum for 6 months without chiming in is testimony to your restraint or indicates that you are half dead! :-d

Give us a name, and ante up the price of admission to this cult. Omega is prestigious enough for anyone.

Again, welcome from the acknowledged geezer of the board!
Thanks! And yeah, two hours is pretty good, eh? ;-)

I have written one-hour-emails of similar length to my relatives in my native language. My English skills are a bit rusty, and, for the love of gods, this is a public forum. Must be careful what I say ;-). I do most of my thinking while writing (and I think a lot), chew it a while before spitting it out.

6 months of lurking.. thats nuts! And welcome...
That's me, nuts! Or not. Maybe I was building up my courage to throw myself to the piranhas (that's you guys):think:.

Welcome aboard, youngster. Do show us some quirks so we can pick on you. We love new meat. ;-) Hope you get that PO soon. Which color combination will you be getting?
Definitely the black dial and white numerals. It's timeless and maybe a bit more dressy. The watch screams presence even without orange color!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hmm.. My left wrist measured a measly 15,5cm ~ 6.1 inch. :)
Ok, that pretty well assures that the 45.5mm PO is not for you. Decision made!

Definitely the black dial and white numerals. It's timeless and maybe a bit more dressy. The watch screams presence even without orange color!
Two down and one to go. Pick an AD or prevously owned and go for it!

Oh, and I missed your name. ;-)

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Geezers huh?

We like brown nosing around here

That's NORTHERN Nigeria

Subborn, old, geezers?? you must be thinking of Beamon. He's not stubborn

no trigger talk allowed here, Reindeer Boy

Why? because you have good taste

Good , make up your own mind

Don't Know

tape measure

we're waiting

Bond gives lessons

WELCOME, Don
Hey kid. Sissy wrist you got there. Too bad they don't make the PO in a 36mm. Perfect for you.
Pulling the trigger huh? Got any gun pictures? If so, please post them.
Lets see............................brown nosing already, calling nice old people names, talking about posting guns and a slow learner that can't speak english. Looks like you found a home.
Welcome, enjoy yourself.
jim

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
It sounds like you know us better than we do, Q. You have been lurking awhile.

It's good to have you here. Sit back, relax, and have fun.

eric

·
Banned
3,380 Posts
Hey howdy hi :-! Welcome. Word of advice....don't do what other 20yr olds do here and string your watches up on fishing line. Unless.....that's an acceptable practice in Helsinki :think:

BTW, if you think my personality is great then you should look at my profile (Click on my user name)

·
Banned
3,251 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello fellow Finn! Finland is one off the most heavily taxed countrys in the world as you probably know, so custom is mearly 5% but VAT is 22%!! And those percentages are calculated from the price you payed with shipping charges included! MSRP for omega planet ocean 42mm in 2007 was 2750€, if memory serves me correct.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts