Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Lock up that wallet and save for a Nomos/Grand Seiko

Votes: 32 53.3%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I generally don't post help me decide threads, but I've got the itch to buy another piece again. The four watches are all very different from one another.
I understand that for the most part the decision process is highly subjective, but I still want to hear what you guys would do in my situation.
For about a year now, I've dabbled in G-shocks and have been content with my collection -- satisfied. But the itch is back after lying dormant for so long.

MKII Nassau: I've checked this piece out in the past. Although most homages don't do it for me, I would accept this piece because it pays tribute to a model that's no longer in production. The MKII watches also have quite a following for being hand assembled and tested for accuracy. The downside? Looong waiting time for assembly and shipping, upwards of 20 weeks.

NASSAU_4.jpg

SBBN013 "Darth Tuna": Most people won't get this one, but I've always been a Seiko nut. I own a 015 Tuna that I like a lot. The Darth Tuna, for the price of around 1.5k, is a beast of a tool watch with a quartz movement designed for use in harsh diving environments. The downside? Might be too large for my wrist, though Tuna's seem to wear small.

691423-fs-seiko-darth-tuna-sbbn013.jpg

Sinn 856 non-UTC: I became a Sinner last year when I got the 556i. Awesome little watch. I appreciate the 856's clean display and legible markers. The dehumidifying technology is icing on cake. With a 40mm case diameter, it would be the ideal size for my 6.5" wrist. The downside? Aside from a smudgy crystal, none that I can think of.

310952-fs-sinn-856-non-utc-pristine-condition.jpg

Frogman GWF1000: The oddball of the bunch. It's not pretty, it's not subtle, and it's a G-shock. I think this piece is pretty badass, pardon my 'Merican. The Frogman in particular has a stainless steel case unlike most G-shocks manufactured today. I like these digital watches and I own a bunch now. Downside: It's expensive for a G-shock and massive. I've read that many say it's the most uncomfortable of the Frogman line.

gwf10005001.jpg

Thoughts on these pieces? I'm leaning toward either the SBBN013 or the 856 with the Nassau trailing close. Help push me in any direction!

Feel free to toss in other suggestions to make things more confusing. :D

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I would personally take the Sinn, but in the price range I am partial to the Oris Aquis a brand you don't have and several color options.

Reactions: valmak

·
Registered
15,139 Posts
Nassau's the nicest of the bunch, otherwise wait for the Nomos/GS . . .

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd personally choose the Sinn but if I already had a 556i I'd probably consider the Tuna, or something else entirely.
That's a good point. I do have the smaller versions of both watches: the Seiko SBBN015 Tuna and the Sinn 556i.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'd lock it up and save for a GS. I don't like the homage-ish aspected of the MKII. Not a fan of the Tuna as well. You already have a Sinn 556i.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Since you've already got the 556, I wouldn't get the 856. Aesthetically, they are basically the same except for the numerals on the 856.
I'd get the Darth Tuna. Even though it's quartz, I had the chance to try it on in Tokyo last year. The build quality is TREMENDOUS.

You can start saving for a GS/NOMOS after that :)

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Otto buddy, we both know theres only one watch on that list that will do you justice :)

DARTH TUNA...

Very cool watch, i love it.

cheers

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
If you know you want the Nomos or Grand Seiko - and with very good reason - save for either of those.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts