WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Rolex Submariner 114060
259 Posts
What a quiet thread - maybe it was my lousy joke in the previous post! Ok I’ll answer for real this time...

IWC was also the first “real” mechanical watch that I fell in love with. The model that grabbed my interest was the Mark XVII, and specifically it was this picture (that I found somewhere on google). I went full on hook-line-and-sinker!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

The beautiful high-contrast, super legible dial. I also liked the (controversial) altimeter styled date window. It was a perfectly sized watch for me and was a joy to wear! I owned it for a year before I moved on to a SubC (my grail watch)... I gotta admit looking at this picture makes me wish I still had it! Here the last photo of me wearing it (no coincidence it is a similar photo to the one that grabbed me a year earlier!)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a quiet thread - maybe it was my lousy joke in the previous post! Ok I’ll answer for real this time...

IWC was also the first “real” mechanical watch that I fell in love with. The model that grabbed my interest was the Mark XVII, and specifically it was this picture (that I found somewhere on google). I went full on hook-line-and-sinker!

View attachment 14128747

The beautiful high-contrast, super legible dial. I also liked the (controversial) altimeter styled date window. It was a perfectly sized watch for me and was a joy to wear! I owned it for a year before I moved on to a SubC (my grail watch)... I gotta admit looking at this picture makes me wish I still had it! Here the last photo of me wearing it (no coincidence it is a similar photo to the one that grabbed me a year earlier!)

View attachment 14128751

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beautiful watch. Love the date dial.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,465 Posts
In 1985 when I started researching watches, it seemed to me that outside the “Trinity” of Patek Philippe, Vacheron & Constantin and Audemars Piguet, the IWC was the next highest quality watch. It also marked the line of affordability: the Trinity were unobtainable for me at their respective prices, but IWC was accessible.
I sought them out at my usual sources: flea markets, NAWCC chapter swaps, and on the wrists of the uninformed. I bought my first IWC in October 1989, a Porsche Design Titan chronograph. I bought it sight unseen from a seller’s photocopied list of watches for sale (no pictures) and was disappointed when I saw the contemporary design of it. Later it became my favorite watch of all time, and I happened to be wearing one earlier today.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In 1985 when I started researching watches, it seemed to me that outside the “Trinity” of Patek Philippe, Vacheron & Constantin and Audemars Piguet, the IWC was the next highest quality watch. It also marked the line of affordability: the Trinity were unobtainable for me at their respective prices, but IWC was accessible.
I sought them out at my usual sources: flea markets, NAWCC chapter swaps, and on the wrists of the uninformed. I bought my first IWC in October 1989, a Porsche Design Titan chronograph. I bought it sight unseen from a seller’s photocopied list of watches for sale (no pictures) and was disappointed when I saw the contemporary design of it. Later it became my favorite watch of all time, and I happened to be wearing one earlier today.

Very cool. Interesting how IWC was connected with Porsche and now AMG.

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,465 Posts
Very cool. Interesting how IWC was connected with Porsche and now AMG.
Also interesting how the connection was not with the automobile manufacturers but with Porsche Design, which was a separate company from the car maker.
Porsche design was founded by Ferdinand Alexander Porsche. He was associated with his family’s automobile manufacturing as a designer (he designed the 911 automobile). When the Porsche family members were removed from day to day operations, they were kept on as consultants. But F.A. Porsche wanted to continue designing, so he founded Porsche Design as a separate company in 1972. He designed luxury personal goods like pens, pipes, eyewear, and watches (among other items). Then he partnered with respected manufacturers to execute the designs. When his watch partner Orfina wasn’t up to the task of building a chronograph from titanium, IWC agreed to do the research and tooling to work with the difficult and expensive material.
Porsche Design and IWC forged a formal partnership that lasted from 1977 to 1997. During the time, they created watches that stretched the limits of technology of the day: a mass produced chronograph with a titanium case and integrated bracelet, a dive watch that was rated to 2000 meters but tested to 3200 meters (depths that hadn’t been reached before with mass produced watches), and a compass watch with a movement that was not affected by the compass’ magnetism, but with a compass whose magnetism wasn’t affected by the watch movement.
Yet the IWC Porsche Design line seems to be a forgotten or unappreciated period in IWC’s history? Perhaps it has to do with the mistaken connection with the car company? Maybe because the origins of the relationship with Porsche Design signaled the end of IWC being a movement manufacturer? (Collectors seem to frown on “pedestrian” movements from ETA, even though IWC modified the movements to meet their needs, i.e. changing the steel rotor bearings to synthetic ruby jewels to eliminate their magnetic effect on the compass). Perhaps the struggle for IWC to maintain its identity with the success of their association with Porsche Design?
Whatever the reason, frankly I’m pleased to obtain examples at reasonable prices, especially the Titan chronograph which is my favorite. Occasionally, a seller has a realistic sales price, even when sellers eBay and Chrono24 list their high opening bids and sales prices over and over, month after month without generating interest from buyers.
Funny thing is, given the quality of the watches and their significance in the history of IWC and watch history in general, those “high” prices don’t seem so far out of line from what they should be worth.
Wow that was a long post! Sorry!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Aesthetics basically . . .

Attachments

Reactions: sandjunkie
1 - 13 of 13 Posts