WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am a little confused and need some help in choosing the right watch. I love dive watches and am just about starting my collection. I own a Omeaga seamaster chrono which is the most expensive watch I own till date. I am going to do masters degree in the US so my family wants me to buy a watch of my choice. I checked all the watches and am totally in love with the JLC. However I do like the IWC and the Breitling superocean. I have a pretty big wrist so all of them look good. I keep changing my mind ever so often and I need to decided in the next few days before my family members change their mind. :think:. I am new to this forum and don't know a great deal about the intricacies as far the watches are concerned. I do know that all of them are good and that makes it all the more confusing. Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
What is the budget?

JLC MC Navy Seals is somewhat of a marketing gimmick (yes, even the best brands sometimes fall into this trap). If you have an option to go as high as $9K, then JLC Deep Sea is way better in every way.

834058d1348888699-jlc-deepsea-chrono-vs-zenith-el-primero-striking-1-10-jlc-deepsea1.jpg

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
IWC is very tough and more shiny bits than JLC. JLC is very comfortable. The older model GP seahawk and Bremont supermarine are worth a look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply! The budget is about $9k. The watch that you suggested is not available here. I am from India btw. I was always under the impression that the Navy seals GMT is a great watch. I don't have too much of a choice and I need to decide asap. Anything else that you would suggest?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the IWC is definitely shiny. Yes! the JLC felt very comfortable sat well on my wrist. I am not much for the bling look and the JLC is more subtle and very few would even care to notice it here. So would you suggest the JLC? I cannot find any of the models that you mentioned.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
What is the budget?

JLC MC Navy Seals is somewhat of a marketing gimmick (yes, even the best brands sometimes fall into this trap). If you have an option to go as high as $9K, then JLC Deep Sea is way better in every way.

View attachment 1137685
Been reading the Watch Snob again? ;-) You're probably right about the Deep Sea being the way to go. However, while the JLC Navy Seals is something of a marketing gimmick, it's an attractive one, and I'd still gladly fall for it before I opted for the IWC or Breitling.

·
Registered
423 Posts
well, in that case I'd take a JLC anyway, you can't go wrong with it and it is a lot more respectable brand than both IWC and Breitling.

out of pure curiosity, is Breguet Aeronavale available where you live? another good option for a diver in your budget...

Also, how about Rolex Submariner no date?

·
Registered
963 Posts
All three are great divers in my opinion. I'd suggest that you go with the one that you like best aesthetically. Forget for a moment that the JLC is associated with a military division (you can't even tell the Navy Seals association unless you look at the case back anyway), it is still in my opinion a great looking watch that is very well made. So don't let that association sway you away from getting a fine piece.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,876 Posts
JLC

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The Breguet Aeronavale mentioned earlier is an excellent alternative, it is quite shiny though. If you like understated look JLC is an excellent choice. It does not have a display back though. If you want display back Glashutte Original sport evolution may wroth a look.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, in that case I'd take a JLC anyway, you can't go wrong with it and it is a lot more respectable brand than both IWC and Breitling.

out of pure curiosity, is Breguet Aeronavale available where you live? another good option for a diver in your budget...

Also, how about Rolex Submariner no date?
No the Breguet Aeronavale is not available. Rolex is but its way out of my budget, I know that the Rolex submariner would probably be a lot less expensive than the JLC Navy seal but not here. I just happened to get lucky with the JLC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All three are great divers in my opinion. I'd suggest that you go with the one that you like best aesthetically. Forget for a moment that the JLC is associated with a military division (you can't even tell the Navy Seals association unless you look at the case back anyway), it is still in my opinion a great looking watch that is very well made. So don't let that association sway you away from getting a fine piece.
Thanks, I guess I will go with the JLC. I liked it from the moment I tried it on, btw I am not sure if this makes sense but I will probably be moving to a rather cold place in the near future, would that actually make a difference with the way these watches would perform. I am just curious since I will be spending a lot of money on one sometime soon. I haven't read about how the temperature variations would affect its performance. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I happen to like all 3, though with Breitling I prefer the Superocean Heritage or Seawolf. Of course everybody is going to say JLC, It's like two to three times as expensive as the other 2.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No the Breguet Aeronavale is not available. Rolex is but its way out of my budget, I know that the Rolex submariner would probably be a lot less expensive than the JLC Navy seal but not here. I just happened to get lucky with the JLC.
I apologize, the Breguet is available but it is way over my budget. It looks great but I don't think I can afford it. I would definitely like to own a Rolex submariner but the boutique here is run by people who are not particularly customer friendly unless they drive a fancy car. I am a fairly ordinary looking 28 year old who saves up for a fairly longtime to buy watches.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I apologize, the Breguet is available but it is way over my budget. It looks great but I don't think I can afford it. I would definitely like to own a Rolex submariner but the boutique here is run by people who are not particularly customer friendly unless they drive a fancy car. I am a fairly ordinary looking 28 year old who saves up for a fairly longtime to buy watches.
but how can this be? they are all roughly at the same price point in the US. do they have heavy markups for Breguet and Rolex? strange.

have you considered buying in US and then shipping to India using a courier service? you will probably have to pay like $400, but in the end it may be very worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I happen to like all 3, though with Breitling I prefer the Superocean Heritage or Seawolf. Of course everybody is going to say JLC, It's like two to three times as expensive as the other 2.
I like the Seawolf as well. As for the price, I am getting a good deal and its almost the same as the Breitling and the IWC. The IWC is from a different seller and Breitlings are pretty popular here. JLC however is something that people hardly know of out here and it doesn't sell too well. Most would buy Omegas, Tags or Hublots(After the FIFA world cup). I have to admit that I am being given a really good deal, yes it is more expensive than the other two but not by a great deal. The other watch I would love to buy would be an Oris tt1 titan chronograph, I looked all over for the watch but couldn't find one. That's the problem with India, we do not have any resellers and the ones who try to resell them are mostly trying to con you into buying a fake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks, I guess I will go with the JLC. I liked it from the moment I tried it on, btw I am not sure if this makes sense but I will probably be moving to a rather cold place in the near future, would that actually make a difference with the way these watches would perform. I am just curious since I will be spending a lot of money on one sometime soon. I haven't read about how the temperature variations would affect its performance. Thanks.
These dive watches are built to handle pretty tough conditions, so I'm sure they will do just fine wherever you go (I also assume that people living in the place you are moving to wear watches too). Extreme temperature can affect the performance of a movement, but the range of temperature that we experience in most places will not be much of a factor.

The pricing information you give here is interesting, may be I will plan my next vacation in India =)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I like the Seawolf as well. As for the price, I am getting a good deal and its almost the same as the Breitling and the IWC. The IWC is from a different seller and Breitlings are pretty popular here. JLC however is something that people hardly know of out here and it doesn't sell too well. Most would buy Omegas, Tags or Hublots(After the FIFA world cup). I have to admit that I am being given a really good deal, yes it is more expensive than the other two but not by a great deal. The other watch I would love to buy would be an Oris tt1 titan chronograph, I looked all over for the watch but couldn't find one. That's the problem with India, we do not have any resellers and the ones who try to resell them are mostly trying to con you into buying a fake.
Can't beat that! You know, horological hoopla aside, just get the one you like the looks and feel of best. Especially if its a keeper. Best of luck

1 - 20 of 34 Posts