WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone can identify this watch Cal ? i think it is an 8541 but it might be a B version .
the screw back cover is unmoveable when i try to open it .
regards
Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I would have guessed 853, but it could be an 854. I'd be surprised if it were an 854B, given that it was the final iteration of that superb caliber, and the subject watch doesn't strike me as a late variation.

In any case, no one will be able to "identify" the caliber without a photo of it, or an accurate model reference number.

Regards,

Tony C.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
What did you try to open it with? Rubber ball (works on not particularly tightly closed backs, and doesn't leave scratches), or a wrench?

Screw-in backs can sometimes be tricky to open- are you using a watch holder in the process?

Regarding whether or not it's the B version, does it hack? The cal. 8541 was also available with the hack feature, 8541B always had the hack feature.

My bet would be the 8541, the B version was introduced in 1970, and this piece screams 1960s. But then again, IWC did a lot of rather conservative designs even in the early 1970s...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did you try to open it with? Rubber ball (works on not particularly tightly closed backs, and doesn't leave scratches), or a wrench?

Screw-in backs can sometimes be tricky to open- are you using a watch holder in the process?

Regarding whether or not it's the B version, does it hack? The cal. 8541 was also available with the hack feature, 8541B always had the hack feature.

My bet would be the 8541, the B version was introduced in 1970, and this piece screams 1960s. But then again, IWC did a lot of rather conservative designs even in the early 1970s...
i tried with a wrench but didn't use a holder and fail to open it . i think it is a 8541 as it doesn't hack.

regards
Peter

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Get a watch holder, then- it's very useful. Especially that it reduces the risk of scratching the back. Just holding the watch in hand is no good, as a hand hardly provides a pivot firm enough for a wrench to do its job properly, especially if the back is screwed in tightly.

Reactions: IWClove and Dan S

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Get a watch holder, then- it's very useful. Especially that it reduces the risk of scratching the back. Just holding the watch in hand is no good, as a hand hardly provides a pivot firm enough for a wrench to do its job properly, especially if the back is screwed in tightly.
I want to second this suggestion. It seems to me that many of the problems people have opening case-backs are actually related to the difficulty in holding the watch. It doesn't need to be fancy. I have this one, and it works just fine for most applications.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OEP8QU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You probably could even get away with a cheaper one since it's just going to be for occasional use and you don't need something bulletproof.

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 3.50.12 PM.png

1 - 7 of 7 Posts