WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am in the right forum, as I couldn't find an IWC forum.

I have this IWC Mark XI that needs repair, so I am thinking of getting it back to IWC to overhaul it. The face and hands are in poor condition, but if I change these do you think I could be diminishing its aesthetic value as an authentic Mark XI? I am also curious about the tritium, is this usually replaced with super-luminova and is this something that needs to be done, if only as a health issue? I am sure that there would be very little of it left now anyway.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

Lovely watch. :)

That said... lovely watch....

The "true" collector would of course rant at you about replacing ANYTHING on the watch.

But are the hands really in such bad shape? The seconds hand certainly looks a tad worn, but the others show a lovely patina. If you were to have the case polished, the hands replaced and the lume renewed, it'd lack that lovely patina: on the other hand, it'd look fairly new, and that might be more what you want. Your watch, your money, your call. :)

I'm no expert in IWC - far, far from it - but if tritium was used, it has no health issues. The radioactivity is extremely low and as you've noted, would have decayed past its half-life anyway.

JohnF

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Very nice watch! I can only second everything JohnF has said!

Tritium is no problem. Far more problematic is the forerunner, Radium. And even then, it's not the radioactivity that matters but the fact that it is rather poisonous. It was often filled into minute glass tubes which were then applied as hour indices to the dial or the hands and those poor buggers who did the filling ended up with a few years knocked off their life span. Hence the substitution by Tritium. If it were Radium (and it certainly doens't look that way) you would therefore still be safe unless you break the glass casing.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, at first I thought it might have been radium when I couldn't see the T symbol on the face. But like yourselves I am convinced it is Tritium. My call, indeed, and a tough one at that. I am in France next month, perhaps a quick trip to IWC is in order. I think maybe just get it running, as I am a traditionalist at heart.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If it was my watch, I let renew the dial and hands, and keep it forever. If you want to sell it one day, you should keep it as it is.
Best way is, you buy a new dial and hands and keep the old things for worse days. ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts