WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to seek opinions on which of these watches is the preferable choice. Will be my first 'good' watch and just getting all the input I can get before I make a decision. Both iconic watches and are a similar price point. With regards to the Explorer 1, the likelihood is that it'll be the 36mm as opposed to the 39mm.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
21,825 Posts
The Explorer I in a heartbeat, it's a better watch and a better value.

You do realize that the IWC Pilot watches are iconic for supplying watches to the German Luftwaffe, don't you?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The Explorer I in a heartbeat, it's a better watch and a better value.
Agreed.

You do realize that the IWC Pilot watches are iconic for supplying watches to the German Luftwaffe, don't you?
We should not go down this road (thread direction) again...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The explorer of course since this is,your first "nice" watch.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Both watches have unique histories. However, the Rolex movement puts the Explorer in a different league to me. I think the IWC is a bit overpriced for the movement.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Historic influence is important to me with watches, the Explorer is a current version of the same watch that has a long history. This I like.
IWC also as a long history in pilot watches from two distinct directions, one being the Luftwaffe and the other being the RAF, which is fine. But, the MK XVII is just a nothing watch combining cues from both linages to produce a fashion hybrid with no historic substance. Of course this is only IMHO!
So it would be Explorer 1 for me!
The IWC MK XV might be a more appropriate comparison, though I would still go the rolex.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
They're both iconic. Get the one that sings to you more. The Rolex is better value for money, imho.

Reactions: Branger63

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I agree with Rusty427. If the history factor is important then the 36mm Explorer unless you start at the Mark XV and worked your way backwards. The closer you get to the Mark XI the more I'd lean to IWC. If it's just a matter of liking one watch over the other then the Explorer again, but this time with less conviction since looks are so subjective.

Reactions: ilitig8

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I have owned both and prefer the Explorer I by a pretty wide margin, it is just a better watch.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i am in the same boat. i went to an AD the other day and while both of them are beautiful i would say the explorer is the nicer watch. and this is coming from somebody who is a huge fan of pilot watches. i think you can't really go wrong either way though. good luck.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think the IWC is a better looking casual watch (though I prefer the XVI), but I'd never argue its a better watch. The Rolex is arguably a better dress up or down watch, which may be a factor if this is your first and only nice watch. You'll want it to be able to do it all.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Historic influence is important to me with watches, the Explorer is a current version of the same watch that has a long history. This I like.
IWC also as a long history in pilot watches from two distinct directions, one being the Luftwaffe and the other being the RAF, which is fine. But, the MK XVII is just a nothing watch combining cues from both lineages to produce a fashion hybrid with no historic substance. Of course this is only IMHO!
So it would be Explorer 1 for me!
The IWC MK XV might be a more appropriate comparison, though I would still go the rolex.
Perfect answer. You're certainly not the only one who sees IWC's last few generations of Mark-series as lacking in design integrity. Unless the design goal was cognitive dissonance — in which case, they've succeeded.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would pick the Rolex on looks alone. It just talks to me. I tried it on and still love the look but it didn't feel hefty enough for me if that makes sense. I'm all about "feel" on a watch. As mentioned before try them both on and pick the "Excalibur" to your Arthur and don't look back.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
What no pics?! I know what the explorer looks like but aren't too hot on iwc reference numbers. Let's have a Google....

uploadfromtaptalk1400487280951.jpg

Argh! That date window! Explorer thanks.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
What no pics?! I know what the explorer looks like but aren't too hot on iwc reference numbers. Let's have a Google....

Argh! That date window! Explorer thanks.
Just FYI the Mark XVI doesn't have the red arrow and the open date window just to help out with your IWC knowledge. :)

Reactions: geoffbot
1 - 20 of 52 Posts