WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Lets do this a little different :)

If you were to choose between these two watches, which one wouldn't you buy, and why?

I've been eye balling these two pieces for quite some time now and it's time to pull the trigger.

Pics from the web

IWC Mark XVII

6719815719_28cdf4b879_z.jpg

Bremont Solo

Bremont-BC-Solo-9.jpg

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
As long as we're being negative...

Things about the Bremont I DON'T like:
-The hands. One of my least favorite interpretations of pilot style hands on an obviously pilot themed watch. The hour hand is fine, but the minute hand looks stolen from a Stowa Prodiver
-Minute markers on the chapter ring. Simply not a departure from the traditional pilot dial that I'm fond of.
-PVD on the case sides. I'm not a big fan of watches with black cases, but I think I'd rather have all PVD than this.
-The three piece case. It looks cool, but I can't help but think of three piece wheels. Great look, higher weight, increased inherent weakness.
-The price. A young watch company, in my opinion, should be more aggressive on price than this. It's a printed dial and an ETA movement, without the anti magnetic and shock resistant features of other Bremont watches. I realize the case is high tech and super hardened, but I'd still argue that there is less quantifiable value in this $4k watch than my $1k Damasko. If the Solo were Bremont's entry level offering at under $2k the watch would make more sense to me, and I have a hard time believing that Bremont would not still be turning a profit on them.

Now for the IWC:
-The date window. I appreciate the functionality (if the date is blocked by the minute hand it can still be quickly and easily determined), but I don't like the way it looks. It's more acceptable to my eye on the busier Chrono models than the otherwise clean three hander.
-The 12 o'clock triangle. Make it look like it did 70 years ago IWC, please and thanks.
-Lack of additional shock resistance. Just something I like to see in casual/sporty watches at this price point.
-No display back. I consider it a positive for the Bremont, so it's a negative here. Please feel free to point out the anti-magnetic inner case preventing a visible movement so I can bring up Damasko again...

If you sat the two in front of me I'd probably have to pick the IWC. I'm a bit of a pilot purist and there are too many aesthetic issues for me with the Bremont.

While we're still being negative I'll add that if its my money I'd have a really hard time buying the IWC with brands like Stowa, Archimede, and Laco out there offering 90% of the watch for less than 20% of the money.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I wouldn't buy the IWC because I don't think it offers enough (especially aesthetically) over other pilot-style watches that are orders of magnitude less expensive. Looks like every other flieger out there, and to me, the price jump is pretty much just for the brand name. I'm perfectly happy with my Stowa Airman. There are plenty of IWC models that I would consider (I own an Aquatimer), but the Mark series doesn't sing to me.

Reactions: pepcr1

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Things about the Bremont I DON'T like:
-The hands. One of my least favorite interpretations of pilot style hands on an obviously pilot themed watch. The hour hand is fine, but the minute hand looks stolen from a Stowa Prodiver
-Minute markers on the chapter ring. Simply not a departure from the traditional pilot dial that I'm fond of.
-PVD on the case sides. I'm not a big fan of watches with black cases, but I think I'd rather have all PVD than this.
-The three piece case. It looks cool, but I can't help but think of three piece wheels. Great look, higher weight, increased inherent weakness.
-The price. A young watch company, in my opinion, should be more aggressive on price than this. It's a printed dial and an ETA movement, without the anti magnetic and shock resistant features of other Bremont watches. I realize the case is high tech and super hardened, but I'd still argue that there is less quantifiable value in this $4k watch than my $1k Damasko. If the Solo were Bremont's entry level offering at under $2k the watch would make more sense to me, and I have a hard time believing that Bremont would not still be turning a profit on them.

Now for the IWC:
-The date window. I appreciate the functionality (if the date is blocked by the minute hand it can still be quickly and easily determined), but I don't like the way it looks. It's more acceptable to my eye on the busier Chrono models than the otherwise clean three hander.
-The 12 o'clock triangle. Make it look like it did 70 years ago IWC, please and thanks.
-Lack of additional shock resistance. Just something I like to see in casual/sporty watches at this price point.
-No display back. I consider it a positive for the Bremont, so it's a negative here. Please feel free to point out the anti-magnetic inner case preventing a visible movement so I can bring up Damasko again...

If you sat the two in front of me I'd probably have to pick the IWC. I'm a bit of a pilot purist and there are too many aesthetic issues for me with the Bremont.

While we're still being negative I'll add that if its my money I'd have a really hard time buying the IWC with brands like Stowa, Archimede, and Laco out there offering 90% of the watch for less than 20% of the money.
good points. If push comes to shove I'd pick the IWC too. But both are a bit pricey considering Damasko and Sinn have more technology in their watches whilst containing similar movements to IWC and Bremont - and at a fraction of the price.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I wouldn't buy the bremont. Not that I'd buy the mark 17 with that sort of money... But between these 2, I prefer the iwc

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I would not buy the Bremont in this case because there are many pilots out there that I slightly prefer, especially considering the budget. IWC is one that I like as well, but as others have mentioned, the Pilot category has a ton of nice values with Stowa, Laco, Sinn, Damasko, Speedbird...

No offense to Bremont, it is a nice watch no doubt, but the pilot category is flooded with competition.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I would not buy the Bremont because there are many pilots out there that I prefer, especially considering the budget. IWC is one that I prefer, but as others have mentioned, the Pilot category has a ton of nice values with Stowa, Laco, Sinn, Damasko, Speedbird...
I'm not a huge fan of the Speedbird dial or hands, but damn if it isn't one of the best watch values on the planet...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
How about the Zenith Pilot? Same price range.

Zenith Pilot 40mm 03.1930.681 21.C723.jpg

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Both are fine looking watches. I would buy the IWC Flieger for the history associated with the watch. That said, I would probably opt for the previous incarnation with a simpler date treatment. I also would likely go for the bracelet option.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'd buy neither as I'm sure their expensive and I find them boring... But that is just me.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the comments guys.

In my eyes, both pieces have their faults that might bother me a bit, but they're both so minuscule (bremont - empty space/ IWC coin resemblance). I was hoping someone would point out something that could be brought to my attention that could help me decide which to buy and which to put aside, but it's mostly the pricing (which is a good point). I'm gonna check out some of the other pilot watches thrown out there and check them out.

Thanks again!

You'll see a thread show up once i'm decided :D

·
Registered
1,778 Posts

D'oh!

I have been giving the Solo some serious consideration however, this post has given me pause.

·
Registered
249 Posts
To me, the IWC's design is more refined and their historical contract with the RAF is not insignificant. I think neither really represents great value so if you do buy one, it has to be the one that tugs at your heart strings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts