WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I have the above watch that I purchased probably around 12 years ago from a online army and navy store. Since it has been in my possession it has not required any service and has not undergone any work. I was hopeful that someone with an expert eye could let me know if they think all is well with this particular piece. Many Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Looks okay superficially, but any vintage watch should have a good clean and service before you think about wearing it. The oil used to lubricate the components will have dried up over this amount of time, and even if the watch is ticking away and appears to be running great, it's putting undue wear on all of the moving parts until they're properly lubricated again. Cool watch in any case!

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I'm not really an expert, but it looks ok to me. MOD replacement dial obviously.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Beautiful watch, congrats.

Generally speaking the first IWC's military watches based on design according to MoD specs 6B/346 (AKA Mk.11) were issued around 1949. The IWC first "issue" did not contain the triangle at 12 o’clock and it wasn't until 1962 that the T in circle appeared above the 6. So we can safely say your watch must have been made post that date and it looks like IWC cal 89. As a matter of interest - it's been reported that 8000 MK 11 watches were manufactured between the years 1949 and 1953. The spec MK11 ceased in 1981 and about 1000 units were sold commercially up until 1984.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Generally speaking the first IWC's military watches based on design according to MoD specs 6B/346 (AKA Mk.11) were issued around 1949. The IWC first "issue" did not contain the triangle at 12 o’clock and it wasn't until 1962 that the T in circle appeared above the 6. So we can safely say your watch must have been made post that date and it looks like IWC cal 89. As a matter of interest - it's been reported that 8000 MK 11 watches were manufactured between the years 1949 and 1953. The spec MK11 ceased in 1981 and about 1000 units were sold commercially up until 1984.
The watch is from 1950 or 1951 according to the movement serial number and the case-back engraving. As I mentioned above, the original radium dial was replaced by the MOD with a tritium dial after 1963. Very common.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The watch is from 1950 or 1951 according to the movement serial number and the case-back engraving. As I mentioned above, the original radium dial was replaced by the MOD with a tritium dial after 1963. Very common.
Yeah, I have to admit in this case I didn't check against the serial number list

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
7ollocks1...Hello!

Looks like a rather unexceptional watch, doesn't it? Case is dull / dial is plain / movement nothing to shout about. Another Swiss watch that's probably a decent timekeeper...let's move on to something a bit more exciting...

Wait a second: although you'd be very hard pressed to guess from these images, what we have here is to my mind and experience one of the Best Swiss Watches. Period. IWC seems to make movements that fit together in a way that other watches simply do not...there's nothing quite like them. Not at all easy to quantify...tolerances are tolerances, and there are just so many ways to cut a wheel or plant an impulse jewel, but the IWC's I've handled--including one of my own Calibre 89's--really are different in a delightful and impressive way.

Indeed, were I to be out walking some fine, crisp October evening here in the Wilds of the State of Maine, USA, and suddenly be approached by a few Aliens from another World ( ! ), and asked if I'd like to step aboard the Star Cruiser and journey to another World, I'd jump at the chance...AFTER I'd ran back home / grabbed a camera / a change or two of clothes / a book or two to read on the way / and a watch.

And, I'd only think of taking one ww with me: the IWC Calibre 89.

Andromeda: here I come!

Michael.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts